Cooling Fan Potential Issue
406 13 1-1 20:29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_1iPUdixXTBlA
lvl.1
United States

Hello -  I just bought a DJI Mavic 3 Pro and when I turn it on in my home, on the hard wood floor, to just adjust settings on the remote before I take it outisde. EVERY TIME, within like 30seconds of the drone being turned on the drones internal cooling fan turns on automatically, it sounds like it's rotating at the highest setting and it's pretty loud.

This happens regardless if I'm indoors (70 degrees) or outside (40 degrees). Within 30sec of being turned on with drone not in flight, just on the ground during pre flight checks, the fan is rotating at 100%.

Here is a video. Fan turns on this time at 1min and 59seconds

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1U_JgkFpPJglAS1P18CCnhBsarC-D5QEA?usp=sharing

Is this normal? I feel I need to return the drone. Feels weird.

1-1 20:29
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Take a video when the fan is running (good volume of the fan sound) if you can an upload it here. It would help to detect if it is ok or it is on his way....
1-1 20:37
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. As Burt37 requested, you can post the video by uploading it to YouTube or Google Drive (any file-transferring site) and then pasting the link here. Thank you. Have a nice day.
1-1 20:56
Use props
jonk59
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6290472 ft
United States

Hello. I found someone had a similar question to yours https://forum.dji.com/thread-270483-1-1.html

From what you describe it sounds normal

From my experience I noticed this too on my Mavic 3 Pro that I bought recently. I come from the OG Mavic Pro. Because there is no airflow when the drone is stationary, the cooling fan will kick in. What’s interesting is during/after flight. My old Mavic would turn the cooling fan off when flying around in cool temperature. If I landed it, the fan would kick back in after it warmed up. However,I noticed on my Mavic 3 pro that the fan kicks in much sooner and remains on for most if not all of the flight. I have heard the fan in a lower setting on the cooler days we’ve had around here. I have not taken issue with this due to how I believe the thermal management on this drone is designed. On the OG Mavic, the bottom of the drone was directly responsible for cooling off chips, as it is a heatsink. Air would also travel through the internals…..
1-2 00:16
Use props
jonk59
lvl.2
United States

Hello. I found someone had a similar question to yours https://forum.dji.com/thread-270483-1-1.html

From what you describe it sounds normal

From my experience I noticed this too on my Mavic 3 Pro that I bought recently. I come from the OG Mavic Pro. Because there is no airflow when the drone is stationary, the cooling fan will kick in. What’s interesting is during/after flight. My old Mavic would turn the cooling fan off when flying around in cool temperature. If I landed it, the fan would kick back in after it warmed up. However,I noticed on my Mavic 3 pro that the fan kicks in much sooner and remains on for most if not all of the flight. I have heard the fan in a lower setting on the cooler days we’ve had around here. I have not taken issue with this due to how I believe the thermal management on this drone is designed. On the OG Mavic, the bottom of the drone was directly responsible for cooling off chips, as it is a heatsink. Air would also travel through the internals…..
1-2 00:16
Use props
jonk59
lvl.2
United States

… of the drone and out the back through some vents. The fan sat right behind the camera gimbal. Because the battery was top loaded, the electronics sat directly in the path of the airflow.
This next bit is my opinion based on videos of Mavic 3 disassembly
On the Mavic 3 Pro, the battery is rear loaded and takes up the space that the electronics took in the OG Mavic. This means the majority of the compute chips are located at the top of the drone. There is no direct airflow in this part of the drone. The slit at top appears to be for aesthetics as it’s closed off. The cooling fan is centrifugal and is located right behind where the front legs attach to the body. It appears the fan pulls air from the openings above the camera gimbal, around the gps module, into the fan, through the heatsink, and out the back vents. The opening behind the camera is possibly to cool the battery. Either way, the way you describe ur drone is how mine behaves. I’d still be interested in others’ replies too.
1-2 00:35
Use props
jonk59
lvl.2
United States

… of the drone and out the back through some vents. The fan sat right behind the camera gimbal. Because the battery was top loaded, the electronics sat directly in the path of the airflow.
This next bit is my opinion based on videos of Mavic 3 disassembly
On the Mavic 3 Pro, the battery is rear loaded and takes up the space that the electronics took in the OG Mavic. This means the majority of the compute chips are located at the top of the drone. There is no direct airflow in this part of the drone. The slit at top appears to be for aesthetics as it’s closed off. The cooling fan is centrifugal and is located right behind where the front legs attach to the body. It appears the fan pulls air from the openings above the camera gimbal, around the gps module, into the fan, through the heatsink, and out the back vents. The opening behind the camera is possibly to cool the battery. Either way, the way you describe ur drone is how mine behaves. I’d still be interested in others’ replies too.
1-2 00:35
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sounds normal to me. The fans are noisy and kick in early. The drone is a flying computer with a CPU which needs cooling down - I wouldn't worry about it.
1-2 08:33
Use props
djiuser_1iPUdixXTBlA
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for your comments so far. Here is a Video of the issue. Fan turns on 1min and 59sec mark
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1U_JgkFpPJglAS1P18CCnhBsarC-D5QEA?usp=sharing
1-2 14:35
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Perfectly normal.  Fly it around, and it cools off in the air.
1-2 16:24
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

djiuser_1iPUdixXTBlA Posted at 1-2 14:35
Thanks for your comments so far. Here is a Video of the issue. Fan turns on 1min and 59sec mark

The first thing is that the fan kicked in at 2 minutes, not 30 seconds as you originally posted...

It does spin fast but it doesn't sound bad or with issue...

My Mavic 3 has the fan that does start as soon as I turn it on but it does start slow and then progressively move faster if the heat does rise...

The Mavic 3 Pro could have different temperature threshold and therefore acting differently... Yours it is fine...

On a more important note, why you have the drone on and still clear plastic tape attached all over the drone... I bet the front air intakes behind the gimbal are obstructed by the tape...

Perhaps that's your problem....

1-2 17:55
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Good catch Burt.  I looked at the video but didn't see that... I was watching with my ears... lol

Anyways, my advice to the original poster - it's not an iphone.  Don't spend time making videos of things that don't seem right.  Go out and fly it.  And take the wrapper off.  : )  Don't put this baby in a case.

Fan is normal.  I would be concerned if the fan wasn't maintaining the temp.
1-2 19:11
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

TonyPHX Posted at 1-2 19:11
Good catch Burt.  I looked at the video but didn't see that... I was watching with my ears... lol

Anyways, my advice to the original poster - it's not an iphone.  Don't spend time making videos of things that don't seem right.  Go out and fly it.  And take the wrapper off.  : )  Don't put this baby in a case.

If he still has the safety tab stickers on, I'm not surprised the fan is working so hard...

I hope he has removed the foam behind the gimbal before he turned on...

1-2 20:14
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Burt37 Posted at 1-2 20:14
If he still has the safety tab stickers on, I'm not surprised the fan is working so hard...

I hope he has removed the foam behind the gimbal before he turned on...

OMG yes.  That piece of foam that holds the gimbal too.  My first mavic 3 cine shipped before they started adding that, but subsequent M3's of all models have shipped with that bracer piece.  That definitely stops any airflow.  

I just got a M3 Cine back from DJI service and brand new, after removing the tabs, stickers etc, the fan was on in about 30 seconds of sitting on the desk.  And of course, during firmware updates etc you get more of the same.
1-3 07:20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules