DJI needs to simplify their processes, this is ridiculous
443 4 1-3 05:14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_A7Qph25AOUNH
lvl.1

Australia

Let's start at the beginning... I bought a second hand drone, a mini 2. Let someone fly it and in my stupidity, didn't warn them about the 10% landing process... Drone lost to the sea.

In November I replaced this drone with a brand new Mini 3 Pro, purchased 2 fly more kits and made sure I had the care refresh. God forbid something were to happen to it when it cost so much to purchase.

This afternoon the worst happened.

I had been flying it at the beach with my dog as I have always done and was coming into land. I had the drone directly overhead and was coming down to land when the wind changed direction, pushing the drone away from me.   Tried to throttle forward and it wouldn't move, I then tried to come down and forward at the same time hoping the downward movement would assist and it didn't seem to move, so I tried again with no luck.

Then the 10% emergency landing kicked in and it was gone. It drifted slowly further and further out, only going up or down, wouldn't go in any other direction.

I was completely bummed, I used this device twice a day and usually go through my 6 batteries in both of those times. Morning and night. So losing this was a big deal.

I remember I have refresh which covers for lost devices. I go through the process and discover something that I wasn't aware of until now... My controller isn't "bound" to this device, but to my previous Mini 2!!!

What the hell DJI?

I have had zero warning about this not being bound to my aircraft, everything works as it should, flight logs are recorded, find my drone is connected and working, literally everything works perfectly.

The controller and device were purchased together.

The controller has never been connected to any other aircraft. The bound Mini 2 has never been turned on since this controller was unboxed, let alone connected to it. It's in the bottom of the ocean.

I have now discovered that due to their clause about binding controllers to aircraft, I will not be covered for anything.

I am a technical person, I have a knack for tech and work in the industry... Yet the whole process to set these things up, to connect them, even the region specific care refresh purchase issue was a nightmare.

I'm baffled as to how they can get away with this, how my controller is bound to a device that was lost long before the controller was purchased and not bound to the only device its ever been connected to and I'm also finding it hard to believe anyone who is less technical manages to navigate through this mess.

Why is there no warning to let a user know that the aircraft they are flying isn't "bound" to their controller?
Why did I pay for a new product specifically in order to get the insurance and to find that because of something that I wasn't even aware of, I'm technically not covered.

I haven't even had a response yet as I have just submitted the claim but going through the process, I have discovered this issue and in all honesty... Had I not had to make this claim... I probably would never have known that the controller and aircraft weren't bound. I already know that DJI will invalidate my claim based on this and as much as I love the product, I don't know if I can give them more money or even recommend the product to anyone else based on this.

On NYE, I used this drone to create a video that has been featured on multiple news sources in my country and tomorrow will have interviews with multiple hosts to talk about the video. The topic of the device used will be a big part of this conversation seen by potentially millions and I would have advocated for the devices very differently before tonight. Now I don't know what I would say as I would never want someone to go through the same as this.

I'm also leaving for a trip in a week, a trip planned around having this device. I can't stress enough how this has made me want to seek out alternatives.

I'm not sure if anyone can help, or if there is anything that can be done but surely someone has had this happen to them also and can offer advice. Is there anyone who has taken the legal/ombudsman route? Has DJI helped or tried to fix this massive issue in their setup process and consequently the claim process?

Is there anyone that can help?
1-3 05:14
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. The account will be associated and bound to the remote controller and aircraft when it is activated. After binding, an un-associated account will be restricted from usage to protect your usage rights. The function was added to the DJI MINI 3 Pro when it was launched on May 10, 2022.
We saw that your case just submitted.  We will forward them your case.
Our teams will handle your case in time. Please do not be concerned.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to talk.
1-3 05:34
Use props
djiuser_A7Qph25AOUNH
lvl.1

Australia

Hi Wanda,

I am not sure what you mean exactly but what I thought was that the controller and aircraft would be bound from the start. They both came from the same box, both setup at the same time, both have only ever connected to each other and the device that it now says is bound is a device that was dead and lost before the new mini 3 and rc1 combo was purchased.

My concern is that I have unknowingly been flying a device that isn't covered by the refresh plan, and have received no warning or reason to think that it was an issue. I'm concerned that I am out of pocket, out of a replacement device and technically, according to the terms and conditions, out of options with no leg to stand on.

It seems like such a simple step... Bind the remote to the controller and up until now, I thought that this simple step was completely ticked and completed as everything worked perfectly.

I'm crossing my fingers for a good response and I do thank you for your reply.
1-3 05:54
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_A7Qph25AOUNH Posted at 1-3 05:54
Hi Wanda,

I am not sure what you mean exactly but what I thought was that the controller and aircraft would be bound from the start. They both came from the same box, both setup at the same time, both have only ever connected to each other and the device that it now says is bound is a device that was dead and lost before the new mini 3 and rc1 combo was purchased.

Hello, there. We learned that because the account will be associated and bound to the remote controller and aircraft when DJI Mini 3 Pro is activated, there is no warning for the binding status after that.
As for the binding status of the previous DJI Mini 2, please help confirm whether it is bound to your account or the remote controller. Binding to the account and binding to the remote controller are two separate processes. You can only bind the device to the account.
Our teams will take care of your case. Should you have any questions, please feel free to talk.
1-6 01:56
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

emergency landing can be cancelled by pushing the left stick up,   although its always better to land with more like 20% battery,  if nothing else its better for the life of the battery.
1-9 02:02
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules