newbie - basic questions for mapping e.g. field biology environments
627 23 1-3 05:48
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steve Ento
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi, newbie here so please be gentle!

I am looking to create some photo-mapping to import into QGIS starting at 5-10cm resolution. Surveying a typical UK field-sized site but the Google or satellite data stops at about 50cm resolution and that is not enough to see the feastures that I need.
I am looking at options to acheive this and as far as I can see I could do mission planning in:

• DJI Mini 2 Litchi, Maps Made Easy or Drone Link
  • DJI Mini 3 Litchi Pilot, Maps Made Easy or Pro Drone Link

Cost is an issue, as this is voluntary survey work so I will buy the drone. I need to keep the software/processing costs low if possible as I will need to buy licences but probably not the top 'Pro' versions.

Any advice about choice of drone (looking at the mini 2 or 3 pro as it is sub 250g)?

Any links to online learning etc. really appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve

1-3 05:48
Use props
CrisBanchoacuten
lvl.3
Flight distance : 174482 ft
Ecuador

Buen día, no tengo experiencia en fotometría, pero segun veo con el Mini 3 Pro puede hacerlo. De hecho si tengo el mini 3 pro por lo que soy del area de video. Debe usted tomar en cuenta que es un control adecuado para esa actividad por lo que mi recomendacion es comprar Drone y Control por separado, Saludos
1-3 06:11
Use props
enviro_bio_survey
New
Belgium

The Mini 3 won't be receiving iOS support for these applications in the foreseeable future. Hence, I suggest opting for the Mini 2. Although it might be less powerful, it already supports these software. However, the DJI Mini 3 does offer a longer flight time. So, if you're using Android and don't mind waiting a few more months until Litchi releases a finalized version of their software, the Mini 3 might be the better choice. Additionally, I recommend checking out WebODM – it's an excellent open-source tool for photogrammetry that you can import into QGIS. (P.S. If you have any software or add-ons related to environmental biology, please share them with me; that's the primary reason I purchased my drone.)
1-3 06:11
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Used mavic 2 pro, even zoom or P4P, best value for the job you want to achieve.
1-3 06:26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Litchi is not a mapping app.
1-3 07:50
Use props
Steve Ento
lvl.1

United Kingdom

enviro_bio_survey Posted at 1-3 06:11
The Mini 3 won't be receiving iOS support for these applications in the foreseeable future. Hence, I suggest opting for the Mini 2. Although it might be less powerful, it already supports these software. However, the DJI Mini 3 does offer a longer flight time. So, if you're using Android and don't mind waiting a few more months until Litchi releases a finalized version of their software, the Mini 3 might be the better choice. Additionally, I recommend checking out WebODM – it's an excellent open-source tool for photogrammetry that you can import into QGIS. (P.S. If you have any software or add-ons related to environmental biology, please share them with me; that's the primary reason I purchased my drone.)

Thanks. I was thinking that I might start with a second hand Mini 2 (not the SE). Decent enough camera for what I need and, as you point out, compatibility with the software suites as they stand now without the SDK issues. Even spare batteries for the Mini 2 are not too expensive.

Any downsides to the mini 2?

Cheers,
Steve
1-3 07:58
Use props
Steve Ento
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-3 07:50
Litchi is not a mapping app.

Hi, yes but I will need to plan the grid/zig-zag for the photo side of things.

Cheers,
Steve
1-3 08:00
Use props
enviro_bio_survey
New
Belgium

Steve Ento Posted at 1-3 07:58
Thanks. I was thinking that I might start with a second hand Mini 2 (not the SE). Decent enough camera for what I need and, as you point out, compatibility with the software suites as they stand now without the SDK issues. Even spare batteries for the Mini 2 are not too expensive.

Any downsides to the mini 2?

I'm not very familiar with the Mini 2, but the more restricted flight range might pose an issue. What, specifically, do you intend to use it for?
1-3 08:06
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Steve Ento Posted at 1-3 08:00
Hi, yes but I will need to plan the grid/zig-zag for the photo side of things.

Cheers,

That's what you use a mapping app for and Litchi isn't a mapping app.

Unfortunately, DJI doesn't release an SDK to allow mapping app developers to support recent models.
This list shows which drones can run MapsMadeEasy.
https://support.dronesmadeeasy.c ... -Supported-Hardware
1-3 14:14
Use props
Steve Ento
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-3 14:14
That's what you use a mapping app for and Litchi isn't a mapping app.

Unfortunately, DJI doesn't release an SDK to allow mapping app developers to support recent models.

Ok thanks. I thought Litchi could control the flight path and taking photos to then import into a separate mapping application or web service.
Cheers,
Steve
1-3 21:54
Use props
Steve Ento
lvl.1

United Kingdom

enviro_bio_survey Posted at 1-3 08:06
I'm not very familiar with the Mini 2, but the more restricted flight range might pose an issue. What, specifically, do you intend to use it for?

I am looking to produce a clear aerial image to overlay my base maps. I will then plot field observed insect locations onto that (along with other data such as 1m contours derived from satellite LiDAR etc.).

In terms of range, I can always break the field into smaller sections and then merge the raster files in Qgis later.

Cheers,
Steve
1-3 21:58
Use props
Steve Ento
lvl.1

Germany

enviro_bio_survey Posted at 1-3 08:06

I am looking to produce a clear aerial image to overlay my base maps. I will then plot field observed insect locations onto that (along with other data such as 1m contours derived from satellite LiDAR etc.).

In terms of range, I can always break the field into smaller sections and then merge the raster files in Qgis later.

Cheers,
Steve
1-4 00:45
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Id avoid the Mini 2,  Ive had a couple and they all struggled with maintining the gimbal at -90 without involentary movements.    See if you can find a used Mavic 2 Pro,  its supported by lots of mapping apps, has an SDK.      Ive used it with the trail of Drone deploy to do maps before and it worked great,  or theres ODM which is a pain to setup but does work well.
1-4 01:04
Use props
Steve Ento
lvl.1

United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-3 06:26
Used mavic 2 pro, even zoom or P4P, best value for the job you want to achieve.

I may need to overfly people so the sub-250g machines would work better for me (and probably manage the job OK).

Cheers,
Steve
1-4 01:10
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Steve Ento Posted at 1-4 01:10
I may need to overfly people so the sub-250g machines would work better for me (and probably manage the job OK).

Cheers,

What is that place, public park, botanical garden ?
1-4 01:15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Steve Ento Posted at 1-4 00:45
I am looking to produce a clear aerial image to overlay my base maps. I will then plot field observed insect locations onto that (along with other data such as 1m contours derived from satellite LiDAR etc.).

How big are the areas you intend mapping?
What's the ground cover like?
1-4 01:50
Use props
Steve Ento
lvl.1

Germany

Labroides Posted at 1-4 01:50
How big are the areas you intend mapping?
What's the ground cover like?

Mostly rough pasture and open ground. Not too many trees, apart from the periphery. Probably in blocks say 300m x 400m.
Cheers,
Steve
1-4 02:13
Use props
Steve Ento
lvl.1

Germany

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-4 01:15
What is that place, public park, botanical garden ?

It’s mostly open countryside but there are public footpaths and I can’t rule out walkers/ramblers!
Cheers,
Steve
1-4 02:18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Steve Ento Posted at 1-4 02:13
Mostly rough pasture and open ground. Not too many trees, apart from the periphery. Probably in blocks say 300m x 400m.
Cheers,
Steve

Nearly 30 acres ... to big to fly manually.
You'd need a mapping app to plan the mission, fly the grid and acquire the images with 70% or more overlap.
1-4 04:28
Use props
enviro_bio_survey
New
Belgium

Steve Ento Posted at 1-4 00:45
I am looking to produce a clear aerial image to overlay my base maps. I will then plot field observed insect locations onto that (along with other data such as 1m contours derived from satellite LiDAR etc.).

Someone on the Litchi forums has developed a tool for creating waypoint files in a grid format. You just need to play around with the sliders a bit, but it's quite intuitive [https://forum.flylitchi.com/t/grid-waypoint-tool/6330]. I personally use WebODM to generate my orthographic maps [https://www.opendronemap.org/webodm/], but there are certainly other options available.

Additionally, QField [https://www.qfield.org/] seems like a valuable resource. It's an add-on for QGIS designed for on-location applications, such as tracking sightings. This YouTube channel provides an excellent guide on how to use it [https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLANnPKXgp4nN8z5-mDHCBYqhtXgD5pxPh], using the example of monitoring tree locations.
1-7 08:05
Use props
nazgull
lvl.2
Canada

There is a "primitive" way....using mbtiles (in OpenCPN) or "sqldb" (in Osmand)... there's a workflow that needs learning and a limit to resolution-vs-gps accuracy using a Mini2 and Litchi. If you  accept that the standard gps is not a surveying instrument, it might be "close enough"

3 pictures, starting with Microsoft Bing map on android app Osmand. 2000 feet up, mini 2. There are various losses in the tile conversion, stitching accuracy and such in the method . primitive, but free.
Compare_2.jpg
Compare_1.jpg
Compare0.jpg
1-7 08:59
Use props
Steve Ento
lvl.1

United Kingdom

enviro_bio_survey Posted at 1-7 08:05
Someone on the Litchi forums has developed a tool for creating waypoint files in a grid format. You just need to play around with the sliders a bit, but it's quite intuitive [https://forum.flylitchi.com/t/grid-waypoint-tool/6330]. I personally use WebODM to generate my orthographic maps [https://www.opendronemap.org/webodm/], but there are certainly other options available.

Additionally, QField [https://www.qfield.org/] seems like a valuable resource. It's an add-on for QGIS designed for on-location applications, such as tracking sightings. This YouTube channel provides an excellent guide on how to use it [https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLANnPKXgp4nN8z5-mDHCBYqhtXgD5pxPh], using the example of monitoring tree locations.

Thank you! I will follow those links and have a read today.
Cheers,
Steve
1-8 00:06
Use props
Steve Ento
lvl.1

United Kingdom

nazgull Posted at 1-7 08:59
There is a "primitive" way....using mbtiles (in OpenCPN) or "sqldb" (in Osmand)... there's a workflow that needs learning and a limit to resolution-vs-gps accuracy using a Mini2 and Litchi. If you  accept that the standard gps is not a surveying instrument, it might be "close enough"

[Image]

2000’ - I don’t think I can fly to that altitude but I will look up that process.
Cheers
Steve
1-8 00:08
Use props
nazgull
lvl.2
Canada

Steve Ento Posted at 1-8 00:08
2000’ - I don’t think I can fly to that altitude but I will look up that process.
Cheers
Steve

my mistake ...200'
1-8 09:10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules