1302 82 1-4 06:55
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5009016 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm trying to stay motivated during the winter season. Things aren't as pretty in certain areas during winter andbefore snowfalls. We have bare trees and dreary days. If you have Ideas on what looks good during the winter months list themhere so we have some inspiration during the cold season. I am going after railroads, coastlines and cityscapes because they are less affected during winter months. What do you do?

1-4 06:55
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Haven't tried it myself yet, but what I have understood is that people like to take videos of the so-called Mpemba effect (throwing boiling water out of a kettle or similar dish outside during a freezing day and watching it transform from liquid to snow almost immediately when thrown in the air). Be careful not to throw the boiling water on yourself or anybody else if you attempt this though! Also, it does make me wonder how easy or hard this would be to film using a drone, I do believe most people filming this would use an action camera or similar handheld/small camera on a tripod.
1-4 10:32
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 1-4 10:32
Haven't tried it myself yet, but what I have understood is that people like to take videos of the so-called Mpemba effect (throwing boiling water out of a kettle or similar dish outside during a freezing day and watching it transform from liquid to snow almost immediately when thrown in the air). Be careful not to throw the boiling water on yourself or anybody else if you attempt this though! Also, it does make me wonder how easy or hard this would be to film using a drone, I do believe most people filming this would use an action camera or similar handheld/small camera on a tripod.

That's something to try.
1-4 10:56
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-4 10:56
That's something to try.

I ought to try it myself as well, I do think that would make for an impressive slo-mo video. And there certainly would be cold enough (at least) outside, though I'm not sure if I would freeze myself before the water We just heard in the news today that the temperature has been at record low at -43,1 Celsius (-45.4 Fahrenheit), so no fear of heat exhaustion here
1-4 11:08
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 1-4 11:08
I ought to try it myself as well, I do think that would make for an impressive slo-mo video. And there certainly would be cold enough (at least) outside, though I'm not sure if I would freeze myself before the water  We just heard in the news today that the temperature has been at record low at -43,1 Celsius (-45.4 Fahrenheit), so no fear of heat exhaustion here

Wow, that's cold. Where do you live?
1-4 11:54
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-4 11:54
Wow, that's cold. Where do you live?

In Southern Finland, Pirkanmaa province. While it is pretty cold here, the record I mentioned was measured in the Northern Finland. There, the all-time record has been lower than -50 Celsius (-58 Fahrenheit). So I think I'll still manage.
1-4 14:44
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 1-4 11:08
I ought to try it myself as well, I do think that would make for an impressive slo-mo video. And there certainly would be cold enough (at least) outside, though I'm not sure if I would freeze myself before the water  We just heard in the news today that the temperature has been at record low at -43,1 Celsius (-45.4 Fahrenheit), so no fear of heat exhaustion here

Dang, at those temps I be like a bear and hibernate all winter.  
1-4 15:11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Winter abstracts (ice can make some remarkable shapes), icicles on eaves, maybe some blue hour shots or winter wildlife.  Will be better when you get some snow as that will offer other opportunities.  
1-4 15:24
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-4 15:24
Winter abstracts (ice can make some remarkable shapes), icicles on eaves, maybe some blue hour shots or winter wildlife.  Will be better when you get some snow as that will offer other opportunities.

That sounds good.
1-4 18:46
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 1-4 14:44
In Southern Finland, Pirkanmaa province. While it is pretty cold here, the record I mentioned was measured in the Northern Finland. There, the all-time record has been lower than -50 Celsius (-58 Fahrenheit). So I think I'll still manage.

That' sup there. You must have some beautiful scenery there.
1-4 18:48
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Going to try a get some shots of the cruise liners leaving to start a cruise.  
1-5 02:24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Without snow you just have to really get more creative during winter for sure.
1-5 03:23
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-5 03:23
Without snow you just have to really get more creative during winter for sure.

It's a challenge to get food pictures in winter.
1-5 04:54
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 1-5 02:24
Going to try a get some shots of the cruise liners leaving to start a cruise.

That makes a good shot.
1-5 04:56
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-5 04:54
It's a challenge to get food pictures in winter.

Hard for a drone for sure but easy with your DSLR camera.  
1-5 05:50
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-5 05:50
Hard for a drone for sure but easy with your DSLR camera.

True. I taught a photography class of 10 people last night at Artlab in Staten Island.  I will be taking them out for some winter landscapes. Right now the gardens look drab, but we'll see. A touch of snow would brighten everything up.
1-5 06:17
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-4 15:11
Dang, at those temps I be like a bear and hibernate all winter.

It is a very tempting thought Greetings from pseudonym "I have been under the blanket for practically the whole day"
1-5 06:34
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-4 18:48
That' sup there. You must have some beautiful scenery there.

Yes, the nature can be very beautiful here.
1-5 06:36
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 1-5 06:36
Yes, the nature can be very beautiful here.

Looking forward to seeing some new winter pics.
1-5 06:39
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-5 06:17
True. I taught a photography class of 10 people last night at Artlab in Staten Island.  I will be taking them out for some winter landscapes. Right now the gardens look drab, but we'll see. A touch of snow would brighten everything up.

Dang, I wish I was in your area as I'd definitely want to take your photography class.  Looking at your weather you might have some winter ice and/or snow soon.  
1-5 16:00
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 1-5 06:34
It is a very tempting thought  Greetings from pseudonym "I have been under the blanket for practically the whole day"

Raining here all day but thank goodness no freezing temps.  
1-5 16:03
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-5 16:00
Dang, I wish I was in your area as I'd definitely want to take your photography class.  Looking at your weather you might have some winter ice and/or snow soon.

We customize the class to cover 3 genres according to the wishes of  the class. It should be fun. Looks like this one is landscapes, portraits and nature.
1-5 18:48
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 1-4 10:32
Haven't tried it myself yet, but what I have understood is that people like to take videos of the so-called Mpemba effect (throwing boiling water out of a kettle or similar dish outside during a freezing day and watching it transform from liquid to snow almost immediately when thrown in the air). Be careful not to throw the boiling water on yourself or anybody else if you attempt this though! Also, it does make me wonder how easy or hard this would be to film using a drone, I do believe most people filming this would use an action camera or similar handheld/small camera on a tripod.

I've seen videos like that - but it never gets cold enough here in the UK to try such a trick
1-5 23:16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm tempted to say "hibernate"   Like you, I find winter motivation difficult, but try to find inspiration when the sun peeps out.
1-5 23:19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-5 04:56
That makes a good shot.

Fingers crossed the weather holds out for it.
1-6 01:32
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-5 16:03
Raining here all day but thank goodness no freezing temps.

Glad to hear you don't need to suffer the cold, and I am sure the rain will eventually go away   
1-6 03:50
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 1-5 23:16
I've seen videos like that - but it never gets cold enough here in the UK to try such a trick

It is a problem when talking about this - but other than that, I'm sure you won't mind not having such freezing temperatures
1-6 03:52
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 1-6 03:52
It is a problem when talking about this - but other than that, I'm sure you won't mind not having such freezing temperatures

Indeed not
1-6 04:26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-5 18:48
We customize the class to cover 3 genres according to the wishes of  the class. It should be fun. Looks like this one is landscapes, portraits and nature.

Nice to learn genres.  How big are your classes normally?
1-6 07:55
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 1-6 03:50
Glad to hear you don't need to suffer the cold, and I am sure the rain will eventually go away

Getting no snow and no freezes is great but then we do have to put up with hurricane season each year.  So no matter where you live there can always be some drawbacks.  It's just nice to be able to wear shorts, t-shirts and sandals year around.   
1-6 08:47
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-6 07:55
Nice to learn genres.  How big are your classes normally?

Usually about 5 people.  They're more like workshops.
1-6 11:59
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-6 11:59
Usually about 5 people.  They're more like workshops.

That's definitely a manageable size.
1-7 05:50
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-6 08:47
Getting no snow and no freezes is great but then we do have to put up with hurricane season each year.  So no matter where you live there can always be some drawbacks.  It's just nice to be able to wear shorts, t-shirts and sandals year around.

I understand. I'll have to admit having a hurricane season every year would sound pretty frightening

I hope you stay safe out there!

And you're right about every place having it's drawbacks. And also, what is a drawback for one could be an advantage to another. For instance, my mother does like winter, but each time my father sees some snow on the ground, he starts to wonder if he should have moved to California instead
1-7 05:55
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 1-7 05:55
I understand. I'll have to admit having a hurricane season every year would sound pretty frightening

I hope you stay safe out there!

You make good points.  Let your dad know the east coast is the right coast so Florida would have been a better destination than California which is on the wrong coast.  
1-7 06:59
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-7 05:50
That's definitely a manageable size.

10 is a little large because everyone come with different needs. They get25 hours of instruction and workshops. Most comein never havingtheir cameras on Manual and they leavebeing able to create most shots in manual. The problem isthat if they don't keep shooting they lose it.
1-7 07:09
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-7 07:09
10 is a little large because everyone come with different needs. They get25 hours of instruction and workshops. Most comein never havingtheir cameras on Manual and they leavebeing able to create most shots in manual. The problem isthat if they don't keep shooting they lose it.

As they say, practice makes perfect or if you don't use it you lose it.  
1-7 08:17
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-7 08:17
As they say, practice makes perfect or if you don't use it you lose it.

That is the problem. I like to teach because all the question keep me immersed in all of the functions.
1-7 08:40
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-7 08:40
That is the problem. I like to teach because all the question keep me immersed in all of the functions.

I hear you on that.  You have to be prepared for any question in your classes which keeps you on the top of your game and always learning new things.

In law school we had this one guy that was always trying to play "stump the professor".  Was funny because the professor would answer his asinine question with "that's a great question so I want you to research the answer and brief the class on it the next time we meet".  This guy never learned as he did this all semester.  
1-7 12:17
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-7 12:17
I hear you on that.  You have to be prepared for any question in your classes which keeps you on the top of your game and always learning new things.

In law school we had this one guy that was always trying to play "stump the professor".  Was funny because the professor would answer his asinine question with "that's a great question so I want you to research the answer and brief the class on it the next time we meet".  This guy never learned as he did this all semester.

Some guys just love to be know-it-alls.
1-7 13:11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-7 13:11
Some guys just love to be know-it-alls.

You're right about that.  Strangely enough this guy went on to work for a Fortune 500 company and is now the Vice President for Corporate Legal Services.  
1-7 13:35
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules