404 11 1-5 08:44
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1859232 ft
  • >>>
United States

Last evening I was playing around with the Pocket 3 and shot a motion-lapse with a ND256 and a NPL attached.  Over the next hour I was consumed with prepping for dinner.  When the shot was done, I thought I would tack on a timelapse focused in the direction of the sun.  Again, over the next hour I was cooking and eating dinner.  After the shot, I brought the tri-pod inside and placed the Pocket 3 on the counter.

Reminder - Don't forget about the filters during a long shoot!  Over those two hours, I completely forgot about the filters.  Later, when I looked at the Pocket 3, they were gone.  I have re-traced my path, and scoured the grass in my yard more than once, but I cannot find them.

Frustration - When I switched from the motion-lapse to the time-lapse, I did not check the settings and only realized later that it was shooting in JPEG/Video instead of RAW/Video.  The motionlapse was in RAW/Video, but that setting did not carry over to the Timelapse.  I was distracted and in a hurry, so missed this setting.

Timlapse - It actually turned out pretty good.  I edited in Lightroom and created the video in Adobe Premier Elements.  I like the plan streaks in the sky:

1-5 08:44
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

That looked really great.
1-5 09:08
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you, it is fun trying new stuff with this camera!
1-5 09:28
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

That was a very impressive timelapse And it seems like you even got a shooting star into it, great capture! Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with the settings and the filters though.

I had a close call with my Pocket 2 filters once, too. I was riding a bike with the Pocket 2 attached to the handlebar using the tripod thread adapter, but when I rode into a pothole, the Pocket 2 popped off the adapter and fell to the concrete. It had a ND filter attached, and of course that went off as well. It felt like a desperate job to try and find the filter from the nearby patch of grass, but eventually got lucky and managed to find it. Wasn't easy though.

I hope you find the filters, I know it is painful to think about losing those things as they are quite expensive considering their size. Also, for further use, I would be cautious in using multiple filters on top of each other, unless the manufacturer specifically states that to be okay. If they are not expressly designed for that, there could be a bigger risk of them falling loose.

I hope you will have equally stunning footage and better luck for further in this new year!
1-5 11:49
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 1-5 11:49
That was a very impressive timelapse  And it seems like you even got a shooting star into it, great capture! Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with the settings and the filters though.

I had a close call with my Pocket 2 filters once, too. I was riding a bike with the Pocket 2 attached to the handlebar using the tripod thread adapter, but when I rode into a pothole, the Pocket 2 popped off the adapter and fell to the concrete. It had a ND filter attached, adnd of course that went off as well. It felt like a desperate job to try and find the filter from the nearby patch of grass, but eventually got lucky and managed to find it. Wasn't easy though.

Thank you for your kind comments!

I am pretty sure those were planes flying across the sky.  Some of the Freewell filters are meant to be stacked.  If I hadn't forgotten about them, I would have been much more careful!

Live and learn!
1-5 12:47
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's an amazing timelapse Scott.    Sorry to hear about your lost filters.  They are so small and that makes them almost impossible to find down in the grass.  
1-5 15:20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The dynamic range looks great.  
1-6 01:58
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

smbishop Posted at 1-5 12:47
Thank you for your kind comments!

I am pretty sure those were planes flying across the sky.  Some of the Freewell filters are meant to be stacked.  If I hadn't forgotten about them, I would have been much more careful!

It is well possible I could have mistaken. No matter what it was, it was a nice little addition to the video

I have heard that some of the Freewell ones are stackable, therefore mentioned the statement about some being designed to be used so.

It is indeed good that we can learn from the past and not just repeat the same mistakes all over again
1-6 03:48
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hard lesson, but the end result was still ok.
Hope you found the filter in the end.
And I have had a lot of these moments where I forgot to check the settings......
And lost some good opportunities due to that....
2-14 23:22
Use props
snoopx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Is it just me? The trees in the foreground on the RHS look sharper than the background, which looks soft.
2-15 11:19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are times when ND's actually make an image look nice and this is one of those times, i love the effect they produce
2-15 13:44
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

snoopx Posted at 2-15 11:19
Is it just me? The trees in the foreground on the RHS look sharper than the background, which looks soft.

I know that with a timelapse (vs. a motionlapse) you can set a focus point.  It is possible that I touched the screen in the mimo map there, or the camera automatically focused on the trees in the foreground.
2-15 14:20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules