Focus Issues
946 22 1-11 03:10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_lfzLz9HzMWhm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249393 ft
United Kingdom

Hi... Ive got some niggling issues with my lovely little mini 4 pro. Grateful for some help. Im a photographer and am new to drones but excited to be starting using them. Unfortunately i had a bumpy start on one of my first flights where the battery was low and RTH kicked in and resulted in a hard landing. The drone had no signs of damage and i tested the drone carefully and all initally seemed ok luckily. After a few months using the drone I cannot help thinking there may be a problem with the lens  or sensor alignment as quite often images and videos appear a little blurry or soft on right side of image ( I have read of similar issues from other users and drones ) or possibly a result of the accident.

I am generally using auto focus and tapping on the screen - usually in the centre area - although not sure why focusing on left or right would cause one side of image to be out of focus at a long distance. I have done gimbal, compass and IMU calibration.

This has taken up quite a lot of time and am not sure what is best to do - i would expect some soft areas at corners but the issue sems to be more frequent at right side of video and sometimes on images too. At other times focus appears better. Are there any tips on how to get best focus across the image - perhaps tapping in centre of image is best? I'm noticing this problem and wonder what is best to resolve it the videos are 720 p so need to look closely . I have a refresh plan - but it may be that this was an issue with lens from new, or is the unpredictability something others have experienced.

1-11 03:10
Use props
StepCH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4354 ft
Switzerland

As you say, it is difficult to tell at these resolutions, but on the middle clip with road markings on each side, the right side does appear less sharp. Perhaps you could record something with high detail on one side and then rotate the drone 180° to show the same subject area on opposite sides of the frame? It would be even clearer if you could record in 4k, or just take two photos at full resolution, and just post a crop of the respective areas.
1-11 05:44
Use props
djiuser_lfzLz9HzMWhm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

StepCH Posted at 1-11 05:44
As you say, it is difficult to tell at these resolutions, but on the middle clip with road markings on each side, the right side does appear less sharp. Perhaps you could record something with high detail on one side and then rotate the drone 180° to show the same subject area on opposite sides of the frame? It would be even clearer if you could record in 4k, or just take two photos at full resolution, and just post a crop of the respective areas.

Thankyou that is a good idea with how to record video to test - i will try when next test. The videos above were filmed in 4k but i think got compressed to 720p during upload.
1-11 06:16
Use props
trainee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124469 ft
United Kingdom

Does this help? It's a full frame grab from my M4P as it was landing on gravel. Focus is pretty good and seems even across the frame - even though the drone was moving.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... vU/view?usp=sharing
1-11 12:50
Use props
djiuser_lfzLz9HzMWhm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

trainee Posted at 1-11 12:50
Does this help? It's a full frame grab from my M4P as it was landing on gravel. Focus is pretty good and seems even across the frame - even though the drone was moving.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QAJ11Yef7QdXvAk9zKHwoaP03q1a44vU/view?usp=sharing

Thanks thats good to compare - i think mine seems ok close up like this but will test next time I'm flying - if i continue to have doubts i guess will send it in for review - hopefully DJI can check camera / sensor and ascertain where the problem maybe - or ideally replace the camera.
1-11 13:13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We're deeply sorry for the incident that happened to your unit.  In this case, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. We appreciate your understanding.
1-11 21:58
Use props
StepCH
lvl.3
Switzerland

djiuser_lfzLz9HzMWhm Posted at 1-11 13:13
Thanks thats good to compare - i think mine seems ok close up like this but will test next time I'm flying - if i continue to have doubts i guess will send it in for review - hopefully DJI can check camera / sensor and ascertain where the problem maybe - or ideally replace the camera.

As it turns out I have the same problem, except I've never crashed mine.
I've just made a couple of photos to compare the left and right sides of the image and the difference is clearly visible. The left side is a crop with the trees on the left of the image and the right side is a crop of the same trees on the right side.This can't be normal!

LeftRightCompare.jpg
1-19 05:26
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

StepCH Posted at 1-19 05:26
I've just made a couple of photos to compare the left and right sides of the image and the difference is clearly visible. The left side is a crop with the trees on the left of the image and the right side is a crop of the same trees on the right side.This can't be normal!

Unfortunately, I also have this problem. This cannot be an accident. DJI needs to explain the situation.
1-19 07:07
Use props
djiuser_lfzLz9HzMWhm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

StepCH Posted at 1-19 05:26
I've just made a couple of photos to compare the left and right sides of the image and the difference is clearly visible. The left side is a crop with the trees on the left of the image and the right side is a crop of the same trees on the right side.This can't be normal!

yes that looks familiar... if anything more extreme than what i was getting, although still soft focused on right side of image. I thought long and hard about this as likely the accident i had did not cause this, but as i had nothing much to compare it to before - i have decided to use Refresh plan and have sent back for replacement, so as to start over again.  I very much hope i have more luck with that, although getting it sorted under warranty is maybe your best bet.
1-20 08:53
Use props
StepCH
lvl.3
Switzerland

Serg SSA Posted at 1-19 07:07
Unfortunately, I also have this problem. This cannot be an accident. DJI needs to explain the situation.

Also blurry on the right hand side?
1-21 02:22
Use props
StepCH
lvl.3
Switzerland

djiuser_lfzLz9HzMWhm Posted at 1-20 08:53
yes that looks familiar... if anything more extreme than what i was getting, although still soft focused on right side of image. I thought long and hard about this as likely the accident i had did not cause this, but as i had nothing much to compare it to before - i have decided to use Refresh plan and have sent back for replacement, so as to start over again.  I very much hope i have more luck with that, although getting it sorted under warranty is maybe your best bet.

It's beginning to look like a production issue. It wasn't obvious while viewing videos on my phone, RC2 screen or the smaller images of Davinci Resolve, but now I've checked the full screen videos it's quite clear.
I've just initiated a warranty return. We'll see what happens.
1-21 02:27
Use props
djiuser_ClFqHEwlxwWo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1687385 ft
Estonia

Samse issu here. Left side sharpen than right side. Tapping the foggy spot on the screen will temporarily improve.
1-21 03:28
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

StepCH Posted at 1-21 02:22
Also blurry on the right hand side?

Yes, blurry in the upper right corner
1-21 04:05
Use props
Jabeling
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20400 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have the same issue. Sharp left side of the image and blurry right side.
1-24 01:38
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

Jabeling Posted at 1-24 01:38
I have the same issue. Sharp left side of the image and blurry right side. [view_image]

It seems to me that this is a manufacturing defect related to the tilt of the matrix installation in the camera.
1-24 03:53
Use props
Jabeling
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20400 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Serg SSA Posted at 1-24 03:53
It seems to me that this is a manufacturing defect related to the tilt of the matrix installation in the camera.

The strange thing is that it does not always happen
1-24 06:06
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

Jabeling Posted at 1-24 06:06
The strange thing is that it does not always happen

Then you may experience fogging.
My right corner is always blurry.
1-24 06:37
Use props
_dji_user_
lvl.3
Estonia

DJI Mini 4 pro has heating ring around the lens to keep the fog away.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=298690&pid=3145174
1-24 07:19
Use props
StepCH
lvl.3
Switzerland

I‘ve just received a message from the Dji repair centre. They will be replacing the camera lens unit. I‘ll post the results when I get it back.
1-26 01:05
Use props
StepCH
lvl.3
Switzerland

My drone arrived again today, exactly 1 week after sending it off to the repair centre. They didn't replace the camera lens unit as originally stated. Instead they sent me a completely new drone (same controller, case etc.).
Initial tests appear to be MUCH better. I created a composite of 9 cropped images. Top left corner of frame, down to bottom right corner. Each image was simply a 48mp still, and each crop represents actual pixels (after jpeg processing). The houses were almost exactly 1km away. This is obviously extreme pixel peeping for such a camera. For reference, the white fronts of each of the two houses at the front would be just about 1.5mm across on an A4 landscape print.

Image quality in the corners can't keep up with the centre but that's to be expected. Left and right are equal with no issues on the right side.
I'd rather not have to return any new equipment, but under the circumstances I'd rate the service as very good.
1-29 07:03
Use props
_dji_user_
lvl.3
Estonia

Which DJI repair center/country did you send the device? How many days did the process take from posting the drone to returning it?
1-29 08:39
Use props
StepCH
lvl.3
Switzerland

_dji_user_ Posted at 1-29 08:39
Which DJI repair center/country did you send the device? How many days did the process take from posting the drone to returning it?

I filled out a repair request on the Dji support page. They sent me a UPS return label for the repair centre in the Netherlands. I'm from Switzerland, so your centre may differ.
I sent it on Monday afternoon and received it back on the following Monday morning, including customs checks. Exactly 1 week. It was processed by the repair centre within 1 working day.
1-29 10:10
Use props
djiuser_lfzLz9HzMWhm
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Over a month since i returned my Mini 4 and received excellent service and a quick turnaround and replacement of drone under warranty from Netherlands repair centre  - am getting much better results with focusing way more consistent on the new drone... so a lot happier!  low res files here but hopefully consistent focusing can be seen ! However noticing a lot more moire on the pics from camera although only done a few test flights so far... and moire can be dealt with in post - images seem better with less saturation and magenta tones dialled down, although hopefully it wont be too much of a problem as i move forward. Moire does not seem to affect video, and becomes an issue only on certain images / angles / lighting conditions, where i notice magenta artifacts.
2-27 02:39
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules