Crash + bang + gravity = Motor Problem :-(
318 8 1-11 12:53
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spotcollins
lvl.1

United States

New-ish pilot here. Been flying my Avata for half a year or so. I'm in love with this thing. Crashed pretty good into a tree a few days ago, and have a problem I've never experienced before. Hoping to get community's help with this one and do a repair myself.

For reference, I fly the Avata with RC Motion 2 controller and Goggle 2 FPV.

Drone connects and maintains low power mode no problem. Props start when I double-click to activate prior to take off. But once I activate take off and the props spool up, it seems the rear left motor is not keeping up. You'll see in the video attached that she tries to lift off, but seems like she's dragging a bum leg on that back left side.

Did I permanently damage the motor? Is this a user-replaceable part? I've got the tools and some experience working with electronics; not scared of a repair if it's do-able.

Thanks guys and gals. I fly this almost every day and I miss it! Hope to repair soon.

In case the upload doesn't work, link for sharing the video:

https://clipchamp.com/watch/zN9rOYD7RDj

1-11 12:53
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry to know the incident that happened to your unit. In this case, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for proper diagnostics. You may submit a ticket case at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. We appreciate your understanding.
1-11 19:39
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I'd send it in. DJI's repair prices are pretty reasonable. Often you get back a new drone but pay for a repair: I once sent in a DJI fpv drone with a broken gimbal and a broken arm, got back a new one and paid like 250 bucks.
1-11 22:59
Use props
spotcollins
lvl.1

United States

Depp Posted at 1-11 22:59
I'd send it in. DJI's repair prices are pretty reasonable. Often you get back a new drone but pay for a repair: I once sent in a DJI fpv drone with a broken gimbal and a broken arm, got back a new one and paid like 250 bucks.

Aww man... Bummer. I really didn't want to wait for them to repair it. But.. .. I guess I'll send it in.. Thanks for the advice
1-11 23:02
Use props
DJIFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

spotcollins Posted at 1-11 23:02
Aww man... Bummer. I really didn't want to wait for them to repair it. But.. .. I guess I'll send it in.. Thanks for the advice

Not sure if you started the repair process yet but....

Have you replaced the propellers since the crash? If yes.....make sure you have them installed correctly. If not....I would change the props first and if that doesn't fix it, then send it in to DJI.
1-12 05:45
Use props
spotcollins
lvl.1

United States

DJIFlyer Posted at 1-12 05:45

Have you replaced the propellers since the crash? If yes.....make sure you have them installed correctly. If not....I would change the props first and if that doesn't fix it, then send it in to DJI.

Me, reading your post: "I'm not an idiot. Of COURSE I installed the props corre........." *flips drone over*.......... There is a glitch in the matrix............

It never even occurred to me that the props COULD be installed incorrectly. I bought a replacement pack of them on Amazon and as it turns out, they are not all the same. Some of these have orange dots and are pitched one way, some do not and are pitched the other! A HA ! :-)

Well sir (or madam), thank you for pointing out what should have been obvious to me, and saving me from sending this drone halfway across the world for repair only to have some whiz kid install a new prop, charge me $250, and get  good laugh out of it.

Flies like a charm now
1-12 06:27
Use props
DJIFlyer
Second Officer
United States

spotcollins Posted at 1-12 06:27
Me, reading your post: "I'm not an idiot. Of COURSE I installed the props corre........." *flips drone over*.......... There is a glitch in the matrix............

It never even occurred to me that the props COULD be installed incorrectly. I bought a replacement pack of them on Amazon and as it turns out, they are not all the same. Some of these have orange dots and are pitched one way, some do not and are pitched the other! A HA ! :-)

Glad I could help!!

Flying FPV, you learn the more specifics of motor direction and props and eventually you learn what it looks like when the props are put on wrong (it happens a lot more frequently than most will admit).

Happy flying!!!
1-12 08:59
Use props
D35Archangel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 291345 ft
Brunei

DJIFlyer Posted at 1-12 05:45

Smart deduction
1-12 17:08
Use props
DJIFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Not really....just experienced at putting props on wrong!!!

Flying FPV freestyle with a regular quad, especially as a noob, you change props like you change your underwear. Those props aren't marked like DJI does so you have look at the pitch direction....so it's easier to put them on wrong. Eventually, when the quad does something weird when armed, it's easier to recognize improper prop placement.

But thanks though!!!!
1-13 06:10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules