464 34 1-12 10:12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5018169 ft
  • >>>
United States

One Down Side to Solar Panels. Another Item to fix after a storm.

DJI_0120.jpg
1-12 10:12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The image is missing?
1-12 10:52
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Image didn't upload Charlie.  Here is a shot showing hail damage to some solar panels after a hail storm.
HailDamage.jpg
1-12 11:28
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-12 11:28
Image didn't upload Charlie.  Here is a shot showing hail damage to some solar panels after a hail storm.

Ouch. Those are ruined.
1-12 11:53
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 1-12 10:52
The image is missing?

Thanks here it is.
1-12 12:17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch. Fallen tree?
1-12 12:34
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-12 11:28

Maybe hailstone damage?
1-12 12:35
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ouch,     that must have been quite the event.  
1-13 01:09
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-12 11:53
Ouch. Those are ruined.

Sadly, this homeowner stated that he didn't notify his home insurance company that he had solar panels installed because it would have raised his annual premium.  Unfortunately, his claim was subsequently denied by the home insurance company because they hadn't been reported and were therefore not included in the policy.  I did a deep dive on his policy for him and sure enough he has no recourse but to pay out of pocket.  He said some still work so he isn't going to replace them.  The problem now is the solar company told him that because of the cracks they could catch fire.  So if they catch fire it could start a roof fire which will also not be covered.  This guy still decided not to replace them.  I guess you just can't fix "stupid".   
1-13 05:52
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Nice capture Charlie.  It looks like a heavy tree limb or something landed on those two panels plus the eave of the roof.  That's a shame.  
1-13 05:53
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 1-12 12:35
Maybe hailstone damage?

It certainly was.  Local weather station reported hail the size of golf balls out of that storm.  For the rest of the story on this see Post #9.  
1-13 05:54
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-13 05:54
It certainly was.  Local weather station reported hail the size of golf balls out of that storm.  For the rest of the story on this see Post #9.

Yeah, seems like rooftop installation isn't that good an idea.
1-13 06:50
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 1-13 06:50
Yeah, seems like rooftop installation isn't that good an idea.

I think it has both upsides but also downsides.  Not sure if the upsides outweigh the downsides.  
1-13 06:54
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-13 05:53
Nice capture Charlie.  It looks like a heavy tree limb or something landed on those two panels plus the eave of the roof.  That's a shame.

I guess it would have done more damage to the roof if the panels weren't there. I would imagine there might be more damaged where the panels are bolted to the roof.
1-13 07:04
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-13 07:04
I guess it would have done more damage to the roof if the panels weren't there. I would imagine there might be more damaged where the panels are bolted to the roof.

No doubt could have pushed or forced the installation bolts deeper into the roofing material. Possibility of leaks inside the home for sure.
1-13 07:05
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-13 07:05
No doubt could have pushed or forced the installation boats deeper into the roofing material. Possibility of leaks inside the home for sure.

That's what I worry about with these installations.  The original roofs weren't built for the additional stress.
1-13 07:17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-13 07:17
That's what I worry about with these installations.  The original roofs weren't built for the additional stress.

That is what many of the home insurers have found out over the years.  Now they have so many restrictions in order to cover the roofs following solar panel installation.  If you've ever picked up just one panel you'll know how heavy they are and then multiple that times a roof full.  

I just looked it up and it seems the average panel weighs 52 pounds with average size home having 25 panels on it's roof.  That's another 1,300 pounds on the roof that the roof was not originally designed to support.  Then tack on the weight of the mounting material and wiring and that adds even more weight.
1-13 07:25
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-13 07:25
That is what many of the home insurers have found out over the years.  Now they have so many restrictions in order to cover the roofs following solar panel installation.  If you've ever picked up just one panel you'll know how heavy they are and then multiple that times a roof full.  

I just looked it up and it seems the average panel weighs 52 pounds with average size home having 25 panels on it's roof.  That's another 1,300 pounds on the roof that the roof was not originally designed to support.  Then tack on the weight of the mounting material and wiring and that adds even more weight.

I do inspections for solar panel companies. We do roof shots and then I have to go into the attic to measure the rafters and distance between them to see if they qualify. I like the drone flight and hate the attic work. But they pay $250.00 for about 45 minutes, and it gets me out there flying.
1-13 07:30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-13 07:30
I do inspections for solar panel companies. We do roof shots and then I have to go into the attic to measure the rafters and distance between them to see if they qualify. I like the drone flight and hate the attic work. But they pay $250.00 for about 45 minutes, and it gets me out there flying.

No doubt it is not fun crawling around in the attic.  You would not want to do that down here in the summer.  The guys that replace AC ducts say that it can get up to 120 degrees in the attic in July and August.  They come out looking like they took a shower with their clothes on.  Several have passed out from dehydration and rescue had to be called.
1-13 07:58
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-13 07:58
No doubt it is not fun crawling around in the attic.  You would not want to do that down here in the summer.  The guys that replace AC ducts say that it can get up to 120 degrees in the attic in July and August.  They come out looking like they took a shower with their clothes on.  Several have passed out from dehydration and rescue had to be called.

It gets hot. and cold here. I''m happy I only have to snap about 7 pictures. 4 pics of the attic in each direction and the after width, depth and spacing. Just enough time to get uncomfortable if I do it quickly.
1-13 08:03
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-13 08:03
It gets hot. and cold here. I''m happy I only have to snap about 7 pictures. 4 pics of the attic in each direction and the after width, depth and spacing. Just enough time to get uncomfortable if I do it quickly.

How many snakes have you found in the attics?  Happens here every so often by the AC installers.  
1-13 08:04
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-13 08:04
How many snakes have you found in the attics?  Happens here every so often by the AC installers.

None so far. A few rodents and insects. Some of the homes i've seen I would like to take a shower after leaving.
1-13 08:13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-13 08:13
None so far. A few rodents and insects. Some of the homes i've seen I would like to take a shower after leaving.

No doubt those types of attics do exist.  As you know I live on a boat so I have no attic to worry about but when I had a house and had to go in the attic the blown in insulation used to give me a rash rather quickly and that was while wearing a long sleeve shirt.  
1-13 08:30
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-13 08:30
No doubt those types of attics do exist.  As you know I live on a boat so I have no attic to worry about but when I had a house and had to go in the attic the blown in insulation used to give me a rash rather quickly and that was while wearing a long sleeve shirt.

I get the same thing with fresh paint, so that means I don't have to paint any more.  The fiberglass causes some nasty itching if the fibers get caught in your skin.
1-13 08:39
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-13 08:39
I get the same thing with fresh paint, so that means I don't have to paint any more.  The fiberglass causes some nasty itching if the fibers get caught in your skin.

True, and itching only makes it worse.  
1-13 08:51
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oh no. Not good.
2-20 23:43
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It's OK I don't have to paint any more.
2-21 03:29
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Oh dear. Must be an expensive toll to pay to get that fixed.
2-21 13:59
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 2-21 13:59
Oh dear. Must be an expensive toll to pay to get that fixed.

They are expensive to install and expensive to replace. While I understand solar panels can be helpful, they seem to expensive to install at least here in NYC.I got a quote on my house and they wanted $41,000
2-21 17:35
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

BetterBizTech Posted at 2-21 17:35
They are expensive to install and expensive to replace. While I understand solar panels can be helpful, they seem to expensive to install at least here in NYC.I got a quote on my house and they wanted $41,000

That is a lot of money
2-24 03:01
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 2-24 03:01
That is a lot of money

They inflate the price because you get about 15,000 in rebates
2-24 09:17
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

That looks an expensive repair for sure
2-25 04:53
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Codgerzh2 Posted at 2-25 04:53
That looks an expensive repair for sure

Supposedly they have solar panels that roll out like a sheet of vinyl. I guess they can't get as much to install them. I am waiting for something like that.
2-25 06:12
Use props
wilalwaysup
lvl.1

United States

Are those even working after that storm?
2-27 03:23
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

wilalwaysup Posted at 2-27 03:23
Are those even working after that storm?

When I got there the solar panel company was debating whether they should come out to fix it. They had to wait 3 days to get a report if the panels were still working. The photos were taken to prove the damage.
2-27 04:46
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules