Ruin, Windmill and lake Alexandrina
244 14 1-12 13:41
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bazz8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 788077 ft
Australia

As we drove along side of the lake more ruins presented themselves as a Builder/Carpenter
I enjoy the craft of old dwellings,I teach Advanced Building subjects for TafeSA,
when lecturing the ability to pull out a home detail is invaluable.
Even somthing as simple as how come the roof has not collapsed despite the wall have collapsed?

Enjoy
1-12 13:41
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maybe the roof support were more robust than the walls   Were those pelicans roosting by the water?  Nice.  I found a lot of the video a bit jerky - maybe you just finished uploading and YT is still chewing on the final version?
1-12 13:46
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5039731 ft
  • >>>
United States

We don't see Pelicans where I am. I like the windmill too.
1-12 17:09
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You might want to trt increasing your frame rate and yaw a little slower for a smoother video. Try out 30 frames per second. My air 2S does the same thing when I yaw quickly.
1-12 17:10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shame about the ruined house,  that could have been a good spot.
1-13 01:12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess you never know what you'll find when you are out exploring.  Interesting that the water tower was so far from the house unless it was only used for watering livestock.  Shame to see the house in ruins as the view of the lake had to be stupendous.  Nice job on the video Barry.
1-13 07:01
Use props
Bazz8
lvl.4
Australia

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-13 07:01
I guess you never know what you'll find when you are out exploring.  Interesting that the water tower was so far from the house unless it was only used for watering livestock.  Shame to see the house in ruins as the view of the lake had to be stupendous.  Nice job on the video Barry.

Thankyou I think you are right windmill for stock only'
would be a nice home back in the day.
1-13 13:00
Use props
Bazz8
lvl.4
Australia

Blériot53 Posted at 1-12 13:46
Maybe the roof support were more robust than the walls   Were those pelicans roosting by the water?  Nice.  I found a lot of the video a bit jerky - maybe you just finished uploading and YT is still chewing on the final version?

It was quite breezy and just my poor flying skill on display.
Roof Support is stronger than the walls, the ceiling frame
is technically called a diaphragm as it locks the shape of
the roof together, each rafter forms a triangle that supports the load.
1-13 13:04
Use props
Bazz8
lvl.4
Australia

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-12 17:09
We don't see Pelicans where I am. I like the windmill too.

Way back at lake Eyre the pelicans fly 100s of km to feast on the emerging fish that lay dormant
between wet seasons.
1-13 13:07
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bazz8 Posted at 1-13 13:07
Way back at lake Eyre the pelicans fly 100s of km to feast on the emerging fish that lay dormant
between wet seasons.

That must be some sight.
1-13 13:11
Use props
Bazz8
lvl.4
Australia

BetterBizTech Posted at 1-13 13:11
That must be some sight.

Here is some information
In flood years, the lake bed fills and for a short time undergoes an amazing period of rapid growth and fertility. Typically a 1.5 metre flood occurs once every few years, and a fill - or near fill - only four times each century. Long-dormant marine creatures quickly multiply, weeds and algae suddenly flourish, and fish and crustaceans emerge on a fast-breeding cycle. Huge flocks of waterbirds - numbering in the millions - arrive from around the country to feed and raise their young before the waters evaporate once more.

The last notable floods were in 1989 and 1992, each year bringing about 12 cubic kilometres of water into Lake Eyre. But these were dwarfed by the massive 1974 fill, which brought the lake's capacity to almost 40 cubic kilometres! On such a year, the nation's pelicans, which follow no particular schedule of regular movement, flock to Lake Eyre in numbers so great that their absence in coastal areas is unmissable. In fact, the pelican colony that inhabited the lake in 1989/90 was estimated to number around 100,000 birds - almost 90 percent of Australia's total pelican population. They are adventurous and opportunistic birds - trading the comforts of the coast for the harsh Outback and the chance of an easy freshwater feed. While the lake was full, the pelicans fledged an estimated 80,000 chicks - the population of Australia's pelicans almost doubled in one year!

Once the great lake dries again, the population disperses once more, flocks of thousands being seen on the northern coasts and some individuals reaching Christmas Island, Palau and New Zealand.

But after decades of research, nobody knows how the birds know when Lake Eyre has been flooded, or how they know the way there from their coastal homes, thousands of kilometres away. Adelaide Zoo research scientist Greg Johnston says there is a theory that the pelican breeding colonies act as information centres, each bird passing on information about good feeding grounds. There are other theories too, including birds having the ability to hear sonic vibrations and pick up on waves lapping at the shores and masses of water in creek systems, and magnetic compasses in their brains working on the magnetic forces on Earth.
1-13 13:24
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bazz8 Posted at 1-13 13:24
Here is some information
In flood years, the lake bed fills and for a short time undergoes an amazing period of rapid growth and fertility. Typically a 1.5 metre flood occurs once every few years, and a fill - or near fill - only four times each century. Long-dormant marine creatures quickly multiply, weeds and algae suddenly flourish, and fish and crustaceans emerge on a fast-breeding cycle. Huge flocks of waterbirds - numbering in the millions - arrive from around the country to feed and raise their young before the waters evaporate once more.

Many birds ability to migrate is fascinating. Usually scientists have an answer as to why. It's funny that they don't have a scientific reason. for sure. They are interesting birds.
1-13 14:12
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bazz8 Posted at 1-13 13:04
It was quite breezy and just my poor flying skill on display.
Roof Support is stronger than the walls, the ceiling frame
is technically called a diaphragm as it locks the shape of

Got it
1-14 00:21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bazz8 Posted at 1-13 13:00
Thankyou I think you are right windmill for stock only'
would be a nice home back in the day.

You're most welcome.  Have a wonderful day and keep up the great work.
1-14 03:53
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nicely captured!
2-20 23:45
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now