IMU calibration
1823 8 2015-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
luckjo7
lvl.1

United States

Some people say that IMU calibration should be done only indoor.
but the others say that IMU should be done only outside because of the magnetism effect caused by electronic devices in home.
I am really confusing about this debate.

In short, when should I use the IMU Calibration ? ( I always do the compass calibration before each flight but I am not sure when I have to do the IMU calibration)
What is the best condition for doing IMU calibration?
2015-9-8
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

I do mine im doors with no issues. I also DON'T calibrate everytime I fly. Only calibrate the compass after a FW update and if I'm flying somewhere MANY miles from my last calibrated area. Ray has gone MANY MANY MANY miles away with no issues. If your readings are showing around 14-16000 then there is no need.
2015-9-8
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

2015-9-8
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

from what tim video shows, u can see that magnetism has no bearing on imu calibration. now i am not saying surround it by magnets, but in a normal home away from devices, on a flat lave surface, i doubt you will have much magnetism. compass calibration a totally different matter, definitely outside, in middle of a field away from everything, naked would be better(STOP, Just kidding).
2015-9-8
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

jayhkr Posted at 2015-9-9 11:29
I do mine im doors with no issues. I also DON'T calibrate everytime I fly. Only calibrate the compas ...

i am actually testing something, after recent FW 14001, i have not done any imu , or compass calibration. i am not going to til it gives me an error, or it does a "Fly Away"! just want to see what all this nonsense is about, Psst, Jay come over here, Shhhh (i know what all the nonsense is about, people like messing with things, and constantly calibrating shit) but dont tell em i said it,
2015-9-8
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-8 23:07
i am actually testing something, after recent FW 14001, i have not done any imu , or compass calib ...

LOL, so tomorrow will be my first ability to get out after the FW came out.  (Feel like a kid the night before Christmas).  So are you saying that the IMU/Compass calibration isn't needed?  I only ask as I have a fairly level camera with little to no tilt on the horizon, MAYBE .5% at most.  My thought is, if the "check IMU calibration" shows it's good, and my settings on the compass show it's good, there shouldn't be any need (the ol' don't fix what's not broke routine).  However being still new to all this I don't need a fly away on my hands as I haven't perfected ATTI mode 100% yet.  Let me know what you find out when you can please!
2015-9-8
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

jayhkr Posted at 2015-9-9 12:35
LOL, so tomorrow will be my first ability to get out after the FW came out.  (Feel like a kid the  ...

that is what i always do, chk imu calibration and compass mod values and as ive stated before i double check compass bearing using a compass manually. in case you havent seen the thread:
i have a plastic bin i use for take off, or a piece of 2'x2' wood with an arrow on it. iusing a compass i position the arrow to north 0 degrees. i then place the nose of p3 on that line and check on the app map to see if it is pointing to north.
imu= chk imu calibration, if it say its goodi place it on a level surface if the readings from top are 0, 1 and then compass 1400-1600. i dont recalibrate anything. if gimbal is off i recalibrate it, if it is still off a little i use adjust gimball roll feature to make it level.
now i am not saying this is what anybody should do, but i am of the mindset that alot of issues are because of constantly ..... around with imu calibration and for sure compass calibration.

if u decide to do what i do, then please double check the way ive outlined and take it up 10' or 20' feet and let it hover a while, test all stick movements at 100%, CAREFUL with CSC. one stick at a time!!
if u are happy with what u see, then go for it. always be ready for going to atti in case of trouble. drill that into your brain: Problem go into ATTI mode. Just keep saying it over and over again till it becomes muscle /brain memory!!
here is a list of what i routinely do and pre flight checks from another thread i did:

routine daily checks:
motors
all screws
every inch of shell is checked
battery housing and clips are checked
props under a microscope and the threads
motor threads
all visible ribbon cables and wires
battery life, cell variations

chks b4 flights:
chk compass mod values, i do not calibrate compass. ive calibrated it once after fw update and have travelled 1000 miles to the beach and flew without compass calibration but i religiously double check p3 compass bearing using a manual compass.
battery and cells
10+ satellites b4 take off
home point b4 take off
wind speed and direction
tallest object in flight path
cell and radio towers around flight paths
electrical, telephone lines that are difficult to see
where to drop it if in an emergency
hover at 30' for  a few minutes while testing all stick movements at 100%

i am sure ive forgotten to write down a few more
it sounds like a lot preflight but it doesnt take but it takes less than 5 minutes.

Please remember these are personal experiences and opinions, i am not saying what i do is right but it has served me well so far.
2015-9-8
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

jayhkr Posted at 2015-9-9 12:35
LOL, so tomorrow will be my first ability to get out after the FW came out.  (Feel like a kid the  ...

Jay,i jumped out of bed to tell u this:
one word of advice, if you get into trouble with the new modes, DO NOT HESITATE AND SWITCH TO P-GPS, this will cancel the mode and p3 will just hover which will give u control. and once waypoint finishes it will either hover or go home depending on ur settings. if set to hover, it will just do that til u exit the mode, most easily done by the switch from f to p. b4 you exit the sticks have no effect, it will just hover.
i am glad i drilled it into me by constantly repeating to myself, " once in f mode if in trouble go to p mode" over and over and over. today it saved my P3 as for some reason, which im sure was operator, once i started a waypoint mission it suddenly changed heading and went directly towards a bunch of trees, from the waypoint to the trees was less than 20'. my quick and without any hesitation reaction by switching from f to p saved the day!!!! drill that to your head when doing f-mode stuff. and atti when in p-gps!!!

good luck
2015-9-8
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-9 00:12
Jay,i jumped out of bed to tell u this:
one word of advice, if you get into trouble with the new  ...

Thanks for getting out of bed Ray!  I will revise my checklist I take with me every flight out and put that on there somewhere so I read it EVERY time I fly!  Fortunately my area I fly, I just have to get up about 70' to get out of the way of any obstacle, but I think I will go up a little further......say 300' just to be sure! LOL But really thank you for the input.  F to P so save my 3! (This slogan has be trademarked and registered now!)
2015-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules