433 5 1-16 07:54
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, I did a did test inside to see how long the battery would last, and i got 95.6 minutes using,

• 1080 / 60fps
  • RS+
  • Full auto
  • Standard mode (not Pro)
  • Standard FOV
  • Low light priority off
  • Image adj Default
  • Single screen (back and off in 15s i think)
  • Inside temp 17C
  • Camera was stationary throughout

I assume it was 95.6 minutes as thats what was recorded, i also assume it would close the video prior to low battery shutdown unlike when it overheated, so the 95.6 minutes is correct?

Would 24fps instead of 60fps really give me another hour or thereabouts? I would prefer 60fps for some slow-mo parts in post. I know 60 ain't gonna do that great but 4x slow-mo is acceptable for me

I was also hoping not to have to change the battery during a 2hr kayaking jaunt for obvious reasons but i suppose i may have to.

1-16 07:54
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I think it was twice so far where I let the battery run out completely where the camera just shuts off due to lack of power. (I have an OA3)

In both cases I was recording my bike ride. I know I turned the camera off at least once during the ride (when I stop for a brake), but I get over 150 minutes (2.5+ hours) out of the battery. I think it was around 2 hour 40 something the longest.

1080p 30fps / full Auto / RS / wide or ultrawide / screen off after 3 sec / LEDs turned off / voice recording OFF / H265

Maybe the 60fps has something to do with the shorter battery life. If you don't plan to get wet, maybe just pop the battery out and use a power bank. That should easily get you more than 2.5 hours.

Also, the OA4 has some sharpening ability. Maybe that also affects the battery life (even if just a very small amount) if it's not on the default  - but I could be wrong.

I'm guessing you prolly should not do 24fps for kayaking (especially if you are moving faster than the average walking speed) because you might end up with jerky movements. I dunno. You should experiment before.
1-16 08:19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 1-16 08:19
I think it was twice so far where I let the battery run out completely where the camera just shuts off due to lack of power. (I have an OA3)

In both cases I was recording my bike ride. I know I turned the camera off at least once during the ride (when I stop for a brake), but I get over 150 minutes (2.5+ hours) out of the battery. I think it was around 2 hour 40 something the longest.

Thanks for the reply, just had a thought whilst reading your reply, are the batteries similar to the drone batteries, in the sense that when new they need around 10 charges to be at optimum charging?

I just found this snippet

The frame rate, the frames per second setting, can vary. 24 or 30 FPS are both common, although Ken has found he likes filming at 60 FPS. That way he has the option of slowing it down for a slow motion feel and it still gives him great sound and images.

https://aquabound.com/blogs/reso ... kayaking-adventures

I could perhaps get away with 2x slo-mo at 30fps, any more and it might end up jittery

I will set it up again in a mo and record at 30fps and report back later on, thanks again

EDIT

Well, the 4th full charge yielded 117 minutes still a far cry from the 160, I would have expected at least 140 to 150.

Specs are 1080/30 RS in full auto but I forgot to swap it over to .h264 and the inside temp is about 18C

I am hoping that the more charges theory pans out so I'm just topping up a spare and will report back in a couple of hours
1-16 17:39
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here we go, 5th got it up to 139 mins using 1080/30, .h264, auto everythin and RS, so that's nearly 45 minutes longer.

I think that when DJI state laboratory conditions, I reckon it's just calculated else how can it be so far off, could also be down to each batch of batteries, they can't all be identical.

Either way even 95 mins for 1080/100, .H265, RS+ D-Log 10bit ain't to be sniffed at and I reckon it would have done 4k/100, D-Log 10bit at around 60mins had it not overheated, that's my best guess as there was still 20 percent or more left in the tank.
1-17 02:16
Use props
1stDrive
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks for this, I had no idea the battery would improve after 10 charges!

For what it's worth I recorded in 4k/60fps, 10bit, no rocksteady, screens off and after 90 minutes it still had 25% battery left. That was on the second charge and my first time recording at any length.

1-17 03:04
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1stDrive Posted at 1-17 03:04
Thanks for this, I had no idea the battery would improve after 10 charges!

For what it's worth I recorded in 4k/60fps, 10bit, no rocksteady, screens off and after 90 minutes it still had 25% battery left. That was on the second charge and my first time recording at any length.

It does with the drones, im not sure about these batteries. I think .h265 was killing it for me
1-17 04:00
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules