Index and Reviews of Third Party Apps Leveraging IFM
2598 17 2015-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Now that IFM (intelligent flight modes) is embedded in the new firmware, the Developers can leverage the NON-BETA firmware to embelish the functionality and performance of the Inspire and P3. This thread is hopefully to identify the various devlopers working on extended functionality for the new IFM and catagorize by IOS/Android availability.
Of course, there will be plugs, etc., but honest reviews and examples will be helpful for those that need more information to make a decision. Lets start by identifying the GO OS in the beginning of each post/reply to streamline the information. Anybody else for this discussion?
2015-9-9
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

Great idea.  Before I drop 20 on an app, I would like to know which one is better than what DJI has put out.
2015-9-9
Use props
lyriconii
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296690 ft
United States

Well, I took the plunge and bought the Autoflight Logic app Autopilot. Tried it out today. It's quite complex and needs a good amount of study to understand all the settings.  The manual, called Flight School by the Dev, Is pretty clear and progresses in good order.
It replaces the DJI Go app but retains RC control of the quad.  GPS and Atti mode are there but you lose a lot of the settings and feedback. Looks like it's an app for a specific need rather than a complete replacement.
I tried the Black Box mode which is really a test mode I think. Make sure everything is talking. Then Focus mode which is very cool. You define a focus point, either a POI or the Operator. I chose Operator Set an altitude and a radius and engage. This is from altitude. There isn't any auto take off or landing features. I could then fly the aircraft anywhere I wanted and the camera stayed point at me. I didn't try moving to see if it would follow. This isnt folow mde after all.
The App has several other modes, Follow, Target, Zip line,  Orbit, Intercept, and Mimic.
autoflightlogic.com for more info
2015-9-9
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

This one looks really interesting, and simple to use.  real programmable waypoints, and in POI mode, you set the center on the app not by flying over the target.  AND..... FOLLOW ME !!!!

Bad news for me..... it's Android only so far.  But it's only $15 US .... I may have to drag out the Samsung and try it.

https://play.google.com/store/ap ... ryuthere.visionplus
2015-9-9
Use props
Kvamen
lvl.2

Norway

Starship Posted at 2015-9-9 21:26
This one looks really interesting, and simple to use.  real programmable waypoints, and in POI mode, ...

hi, purcased both Autopilot for ios, and Litchi for Android.
Have just tried Litchi at moment(it's in its beta testing now) its simple to set up, can do pre-mission before flight, it have orbit, follow,  waypoint and you can set poi to device or target, manual and auto gimbal control, change radius on realtime orbit. + more.

i tried this app a few times and its been soild for me, it works very well on my bird, i hvae no issues so far. ( its still in beta 2.05)

the Autopilot seems like a more advance app(due to be operated in basic, intermediate and advance mode, it have a lot of setting and can do a lot of stuff. As i say i haven't tried it yet( im sure of there a lot that have in this forum) so can tell you more about this app) before i try i have to study their manual more theres a lot to learn.

both cost so you have to open your pocket to get them, but it' worth it, it give you a brand new flying experiance and you can fokus on the camera or the bird and let the app take care of the other.
Be sure to have a peek on your bird from time to time thou when using these apps,
Fly safe
2015-9-9
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Kvamen@getmail. Posted at 2015-9-9 15:11
hi, purcased both Autopilot for ios, and Litchi for Android.
Have just tried Litchi at moment(it' ...

I just found this for the Litchi app  http://www.flylitchi.com/gs  You can program waypoints, then download them and play them back in the app and fly the route.

2015-9-9
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Bought, downloaded and installed Litchi on my  Samsung Galaxy.  Played with  it a little with props off in the living room.  Looks easy enough......Now I play the waiting game for one of my batteries to charge.
2015-9-9
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

OK..... really quick review of Litchi.  All settings can be done on the ground.   To activate IFM, it's the same as the DJI IFM.  The switch has to be in F-Mode

All tests were done at 100 feet to give me plenty of oops space

POI (orbit) You  set the center point on the map, no need to hover over the center point.  You can change where the quad points "on the fly" as the quad orbits. In other words, if you point the nose in, it stays pointing in.  Point the nose out, and it stays pointing out as it makes it's circle.

FOLLOW ME.  Serious pilot stupidity when I first tried it.  I had the follow distance set really close, even though I had a lot of altitude.  The quad kept "looking" for me.  Then I realized I was looking up and turning as I walked.  Second try, I set the follow distance to 50 feet.  Much smoother.   Of course I was walking, so that didn't help the initial confusion.  The quad kept catching up to me and turning around. Even with the quad rotating, and looking for me, I was kept pretty centered in the view.

VPV ..... What can I say, it's FPV

Have not tried Waypoints, as I was at 30% battery, and by the time I get another battery charged, it will be dark.

Video lag was about the same as with the DJI app.  My Samsung Galaxy is no powerhouse, so I turned off the voice prompts, as they were breaking up.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (so far)  I would give Litchi a solid 7.... maybe even 8.  Well worth $15 US bucks.  When (if) they come out with an IOS version, I will be buying it too.
2015-9-9
Use props
Kvamen
lvl.2

Norway

Starship Posted at 2015-9-10 01:42
OK..... really quick review of Litchi.  All settings can be done on the ground.   To activate IFM, i ...

Yea, it works great for me, don' t forget Autopilot for iOS, that looks great too
2015-9-10
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
United States

Remember to differentiate your tablet OS in your header (if possible). This will make it easier to filter for those that have IOS vs Android.
Good to see some participation in the new horizon ahead. We are at the cusp of a new evolution. It may not be DJI implementation, but they are fostering innovation. Fasten your seat belts over the next 2 months!!
2015-9-10
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Follow up on the review of Litchi for Android.............................I managed to get a couple quick flights in after work to try Waypoints.   I had to make it quick, because there's a storm front coming in, and it's looking like it's going to dump mass quantities.

This is the way Waypoint flight should be.  I tried it two ways.   All planning was on the ground with the Inspire turned OFF.  I could have done it in my living room, saved the routes, then gone out, loaded the routes, and flown them.

First flight was tap out a series of points, setting the speed and altitude..  Took off, got up to altitude, and hit "play".  The quad followed the route perfectly.  After, once again, forgetting to switch to F mode.  

Second flight, I tried the "pencil" to draw a route.  Much like that route pencil in DJI Go.  Except this one actually plots the route.  Took off, got to altitude, hit "play" and the Inspire followed the route smoothly, and perfectly.

I'm now raising my rating to a solid 8.5.  I would give it a 9.5, but I found out the author is NOT going to port it to IOS.  :@

2015-9-10
Use props
joeyjoe
lvl.2

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-9-10 19:01
Follow up on the review of Litchi for Android.............................I managed to get a couple  ...

Too bad about no iOS. I am a loyal Android guy but I purchased the Air 2 (after much research) just for my quads and it works great for Autoflight and the Go app.
2015-9-10
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

joeyjoe Posted at 2015-9-10 19:16
Too bad about no iOS. I am a loyal Android guy but I purchased the Air 2 (after musch research) ju ...

Same here.  I was an anti Apple guy for a long time.  Then I got an iPad to get faster latency.  Then I discovered, the iPad was faster at just about everything.

I really think the Litchi author is missing the boat by not porting it over to IOS.
2015-9-11
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
United States

Android & mapping are my focus: Well, from the reviews above, it seems a "no brainer" for me to get the Litchi app for Android. Since my mapping has been done mostly on my X8+ while waiting for DJI, I wonder if the AC speed and overlap requirements are able to be programmed similar to the open source "Mission Planner". I'm guessing that for a mapping/Pix4D capture, Litchi handles the grid flight fine and manual camera triggering is done by pilot? For the $15, I'll get Litchi and wait for Pix4D capture to leverage the new firmware.
2015-9-11
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
United States

Update: I spent the time to join the Pix4d Capture beta group and the $ to get Litchi. While I was leaning originally toward the Pix4d app, it's still in beta and the UI is not complete.
I loaded Litchi and was confused at first, because I made the mistake of checking the box and making it the default, which rendered GO unable to be used because Litchi automatically started when the usb was connected. After correcting that mistake, I now have a choice presented when I connect to the tablet.
I'm VERY impressed, even though my first test I had to trigger camera every two seconds while flying the grid. The results went easily into Pix4d and the quality report was good, but not quite as good as my other setup. 2.0cm/pixel. I have researched my mistake and next time will be able to slow down to 7km/h and trigger camera at 5m distance to get the overlaps better and get to target <1.5cm/pixel.

OVERALL: This is a well thought out app that mimics Go relating to location of information to ease the learning curve. It goes to a place in functionality that WORKS and where anyone with engineering/mapping aspirations will be pleased to use and capture valuable data.

As an Android user and engineer, I recommend this for mapping capture and other complex flying tasks.Good development team that delivers. Kudos.
JayB

2015-9-13
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
United States

Calling all Mappers!
2015-9-15
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I ponied up for Autoflight Logic Autopilot and Litchi on Thursday and tested both on Friday and Saturday.

Some background
- I do a lot of driving in the desert, mountains, etc so Waypoints, POI and Follow Me interest me the most.
- I have an Inspire 1 and a Phantom 3 Pro
- I have an iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini 3, and an Xperia Z3

For POI and waypoints, I prefer using the DJI Go app. It's simple and straightforward, and works exactly how I need it to work for the shots I want

For Follow Me, I'm more inclined to use Autopilot as it's far more configurable. Autopilot support has also been good to deal with and has ben giving me some good advice. Autopilot also gives me more control over the responsiveness of yaw, gimbal and aircraft movement, allowing me to control the smoothness of the video. The biggest strength of Autopilot is its ability to maintain focus on the subject. I have no idea how they do it, but it's practically as good as a DSLR camera's auto-focus tracking.

On the other hand, Litchi's complexity for Follow Me is fairly straightforward, but far less configurable than Autopilot's. Like Autopilot, you can position your craft and set that as the default position, but it doesn't maintain focus as well as Autopilot. Also, with Litchi, my P3P had more problems keeping up with my Jeep, but I didn't face such problems with Autopilot.

2015-9-15
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
United States

WOW! Great information. As a dedicated Android user AND P3P Inspire 1 pilot, I will now (for the first time EVER) consider IOS device for Inspire 1 use.
Thanks for your input, because I wouldn't have considered such a radical change before. Display device is a small consideration when looking at the Big picture. As an aside, my daughter ( second controller) is IOS.
I'm all commercial mapping, but do RE video. More input/ replies are appreciated.
2015-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules