Gimbal yaw, pitch and roll relative to flight angles?
378 4 1-17 07:45
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fs-pt
lvl.1

Germany

Hi,

I can obtain the XMP data sections for the gimbal yaw, pitch and roll angles as well as the flight yaw, pitch and roll angles. However, I wanted to ask whether the gimbal angles are relative to the flight angles, meaning, when I want to calculate something do I need to add the flight angles? Or are they independent of the flight angle, e.g. when the gimbal pitch angle is -90° and the flight pitch angle is -45°, then the gimbal is still pointing directly to the ground? I couldn't find anything in the documentation.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20240117_164401.png

1-17 07:45
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

As it is mentioned in documentation, it is NED orientation.
1-17 08:01
Use props
fs-pt
lvl.1

Germany

But are the gimbal and the drone angles independent from each other? Or is the gimbal yaw, pitch, roll relative to the drone angles?
1-17 08:15
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

There are NED..
Related to North (x+), East (y+), Down (z+).
1-17 08:32
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I believe that both are relative to the gravitational horizontal plane.
It should be easy enough to test, fly a flight with the camera recording, put the drone through its paces up to and including full joystick travels, watch the video and after the flight check the flight log.

However, drone tilt can interfere with gimbal tilt, I do not know if that is a problem encountered with the mavic 3 but with drones like the early minis, which had restricted gimbal tmovement, the gimbal was known to change pitch if the control system thought there was a chance of it smacking against one of its travel limit stops.
1-17 08:42
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules