waypoints for phantom 3 not the same as groundstation/waypoints on p2v+
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
evolicarus
lvl.3

United States

so after watching numerous videos on waypoints on youtube, it looks like the P3 waypoints look nothing like the p2v+ waypoints..  My question is why didn't the p3 get the same type of app as the p2v+ got..  i like how you could pick a flight path and set the height and speed and the phantom auto pilots that route.. why are we as p3 owners having to fliy it manually and record each position?  Somewhat dissappointed in this feature..not at all what i thought it would be..

2015-9-9
Use props
sdavis1974
lvl.2
Flight distance : 288422 ft
United States

They did it that way for safety, may be slightly inconvenient but since the P3 doesn't have obstacle avoidance they believe it makes more sense.
2015-9-9
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

sdavis1974 Posted at 2015-9-9 11:02
They did it that way for safety, may be slightly inconvenient but since the P3 doesn't have obstacle ...

The P2 didn't have obstacle avoidance either.
2015-9-9
Use props
apbishop
lvl.2
United States

Gabe R Posted at 2015-9-9 13:51
The P2 didn't have obstacle avoidance either.

I agree with the first comment.  The implementation of Waypoints on the P3 is useless.  Who would want to spend an entire battery on setting up waypoints that you have to fly to, verify with the camera that you are at the position you want to save a waypoint at?  This makes zero sense.  The need for waypoints is dictated by the requirement of laying out a mission, setting the POI instructions on camera angle, aircraft speed between Waypoints, altitudes, etc.  I want to look at the map, click on where I need to go, review the obstacles in route, set my POI instructions and then upload and execute the mission.  This current release is so incomprehensibly stupid I am returning my three P-3s to the distributor I purchased them from.  The ideal Phantom is a P-2 with the P-3 camera and gimbal.  DJI can keep the P-3 autopilot and ground station.  They are no more functional than the original P-1.
Thoroughly disappointed and moving on. . . .
2015-9-9
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-9-9
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

apbishop Posted at 2015-9-9 15:26
I agree with the first comment.  The implementation of Waypoints on the P3 is useless.  Who would  ...

Be interesting if they let you return them as there is nothing wrong with them. You bought them without any of the new features and had no real idea when they were going to be implemented.

Have fun with your new replacement purchases
2015-9-9
Use props
jag01usn
lvl.3
United States

Far as Waypoints go I'd like to have had 2 options. First one is to fly your mission to set waypoints which it is now and a second  option to set your waypoint on a map. I think that would have made most people satisfied. For me that takes care of the problem. Must be other issues involved that they didn't do that. Ok programmers please add the second option. Thanks

Fly safe.
2015-9-10
Use props
apbishop
lvl.2
United States

Anyone know of a 3rd party company who can or has developed a REAL A2 type Ground Control Station for the Phantom 3 and Inspire?  The DJI folks have no clue on ground stations.  They don't even offer the choice between Imperial and Metric on their primary GCS plus they haven't figured out that 99% of the rest of the world is using high definition displays which is why their current GS has font issues  (fonts default to a size that exceeds the space they allotted for the text.  The waypoints on the Inspire and Phantom 3 are not true waypoints.  They are memory markers only.  It's like buying a new Corvette and GM says this year we are only allowing square tires.  The reason is safety - we (GM) believe you will not drive as fast and thus will be safer.  Idiots.
2015-9-29
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

apbishop Posted at 2015-9-29 20:07
Anyone know of a 3rd party company who can or has developed a REAL A2 type Ground Control Station fo ...

Not sure you intended to be funny, but I found your "square tire" analogy hysterical. Certainly not laughing *at* you! LOL Still laughing!

Art Burke - N4PJ
Lesburg, FL
2015-9-29
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

apbishop Posted at 2015-9-29 19:07
Anyone know of a 3rd party company who can or has developed a REAL A2 type Ground Control Station fo ...

Download the SDK and write one for us, please.  I hear that it's only a matter of typing in the code.
2015-9-29
Use props
starfighters
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1358215 ft
United Kingdom

apbishop Posted at 2015-9-30 01:07

Litchi is the solution...download it from playstore,it cost about 16 euros...
Check it on flytlitchi to get som more info,it seems really cool...there are also on youtube some tutorial on how to operate it.
It work for P3P/A and inspire,it's real ground station,not the DJI's one.
2015-9-30
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

Recently, I got the new HDMI module from DJI for the P3 and with all the new developments, it has been hard to figure out if the module is better.  Today I was finally able to practice the IOC Waypoints option and just watch the screen during the playback missions and look for lag issues.  There would be maybe one jump every five to ten seconds instead of a jump every second or two like before.  Even behind trees, the video was much stronger.  The module is highly recommended.

The Waypoints lesson was interesting though.  It turns out that, like CourseLock, movement of the P3 in the flat plane is all right stick (Mode 2) ignoring yaw.  If you want to FPV and see where you are going, you have to use the yaw to adjust the camera, but you will remain in a CourseLock-like control situation.  It takes some getting used to.  The altitude changes will be making for some interesting videos.  The jungle and the mountains where I live do make for some challenge, like my spotter going, "Ahhh, are you trying to fly into that ridge there!"  I do have to get that CourseLock technique down a lot better, just to keep from ridge-running when I really do not want to, if you catch my drift.  

If you think about it though, using a CourseLock-like control mechanism allows the controller to better record and manage the flight path and turns so that the final mission file is way more simplified computer-wise.  I remember reading about a new GroundStation-like app that allowed you to enter what types of turns you wanted to do and so you had to write to each turn and that was a lot of writing.  With the CourseLock technique, once you get a handle on it, you just fly the turn you want with the right stick and then control the camera yaw and altitude with the left stick and the camera pitch with the pitch roller.  Two different ways of doing waypoints, but the DJI CourseLock technique is better in a "Seat-of-the-Pants" way as opposed to a desktop typing way.  But, some people like the typing approach.  I thought I was going to be like that, but now I see the method in the madness of DJI's approach to waypoints.  Instead of fighting DJI to get something they understand to be inferior to the "Seat of the Pants" approach, I am going to embrace the seat of the pants approach.  

As for those of you who want to type and write on a map, I am willing to guess, or suggest, that DJI has a plan for the simple editing of existing missions in the DJI Go Library or even a new tab.  Something easy like moving a waypoint over just a tad more or making a circle more circular.  How hard would that be to put in an update, not very.  But it would make a lot of customers happier and DJI wants to do that.  I hope some of you have noticed that all this drone business with firmware and apps is a work in progress.  DJI is going to use a long range approach to servicing, updating and upgrading their product.  Sure, we all want it done yesterday, but yesterday, there were no recreational drones.  So this is not a done deal by any stretch - it is just new territory.  Maybe I am just an old techie but patience . . . Hell! I will probably be dead before some of you will be happy with your products!  But, that is what drives the marketplace!

Aloha and Drone On!
2015-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules