How to verify, if a Mini 4 pro got declassified in 2023 or in 2024??
1079 11 1-22 11:56
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hello to the DJI Admins!

Since the  Mini 4 will be assumingly the only drone that was a C0 - class bird in 2023 and could, still can be declassified, how can a buyer of a sec. hand mini 4 verify,  that the declassification was done BEFORE 01.01.24?
Just asking, since I got told, a couple of people did the declassification after 01.01.24, already.
Ok, if the activation date is in 2024, that is easy.
But in case they activated it in 2023, but decided to accidently  declassify it just after new year, how can a sec. hd. buyer recognize the scam?

I was looking into the device info of my mini 4, but except the activation date, there was no info about the declassification (before new year, of course ;-)
Would, imho, be a good and permanent place for this information.

Thanks in advance!

S-e-ven
1-22 11:56
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, S-e-ven. We appreciate you for bringing this to us. We will coordinate this with our relevant team for further clarification. Also, I will take note of the suggestion below for them to notice as well. We will keep you posted. Have a good one.
1-22 23:32
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Thanks a lot!
Since it seems to be/can be a legal problem, it is much appreciated.
Even  in the unlikely event that some officials will check the adjustable height limit on a 249g drone.
1-23 00:19
Use props
Jarfr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33412 ft
Sweden

I'm wondering if this is really an issue.

I've studied this issue a bit myself and as I understand it you're free to declassify it even after Jan 1 2024. The demands from EASA are that the drone was on the market before end of 2023, not that it was even bought before end of 2023. When you declassify it doesn't matter.

I've discussed this with other drone users and gone through the EASA rules in depth and this is what we come to conclude. We could of course be wrong. The statements from EASA are not super clear, but as I said, as we read them, this is how it should be understood.
1-23 13:44
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

"We could of course be wrong. "

Yes, you can be both, right or wrong.  And since it  is a tricky subject, that is my idea behind the question.
If "you" are right, it does not hurt, to have that date.
If "you" are wrong, it is an advantage to know and to be able to show the year of declassification as official, as it can be!
But this ...

-Starting from 1st of January 2024, drones put on the market before January 1st, 2024 (legacy drones) without a class mark may still be operated in the A1 or A3 subcategories based on their mass.-
(EASA webpage)

... without a classmark is anyway a difficult thing!
To me, it might be a compromise into the other direction, to get  the Mini4 in 2023 WITH a classmark and sticker on the market. To get people the ability, to have a C0 drone from 2024 ongoing.
Lots of people, my guess, the majority of drone buyers, will be happy with it.
The declassification thing  just followed the request of drone pilots, wanting to fly "uphill, still max 120m over ground", but even that up to 500m over starting point.
Since I have done this , I know, I will do so. But you need hill terrain for it. In VLOS ;-)
And knowing EU paper pushers, I can believe, that they found this twisted way: Keep the sticker, fly C0, perhaps get an upgrade option to fly C1 (to give DJI the option, to sell the plus battery? Or make use of the wideangle and other accessories, which may bring the Mini 4 up to 250/251g?
And if people did declassify in 2023, the Mini 4 is seen legacy, DESPITE that the drone got already SOLD WITH a classification! In 2023
-Starting from 1st of January 2024, drones put on the market before January 1st, 2024 (legacy drones) without a class mark may still be operated in the A1 or A3 subcategories based on their mass.-

But the main thing is: It should somewhere mentioned, in the status of the drones file, like the serial, methinks. Just to be safe.

An also interesting question, I think, would be:
What do you get back, in case you have a 2023 declassified Mini 4 and chrash it, from DJI, if it is not an repair but an exchange! (Care refresh, paid , whatever)
A C0 or an declassified Mini 4 Pro?
And for people, who took the C0 off in 2024, this question might even be more of interest.
1-23 14:30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

S-e-ven Posted at 1-23 00:19
Thanks a lot!
Since it seems to be/can be a legal problem, it is much appreciated.
Even  in the unlikely event that some officials will check the adjustable height limit on a 249g drone.

Hi there. Thank you for patiently waiting. If you are referring to the drone that was purchased in 2023 and then removed the 120m height limitation, we have released the DJI Fly app V1.12.8 which allows users to apply for a C1 label for the DJI Mini 4 Pro therefore there will be nothing to worry. Please note that the DJI Mini 4 Pro sold in 2024 has a C0 label attached to the drone and has a C1 sticker in the package while the DJI Mini 4 Pro that was sold in 2023 automatically comes with a C0 label only. Feel free to contact us if you have other inquiries. Have a good one.
2-10 23:21
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Thanks.
Yes, the way to get a C1 classification is already known, Well done, now peple can choose between C0 and C1.

Just it was not a question about C0/C1 sticker, it was about declassifying a C0 drone and identifying, if that was done before 2024 or in 2024.
Which was possible, at least BEFORE the software update, better, till the update, methinks
Since this date seems to be the important thing, to make it a legacy drone, from the wording on the EASA webpage.
Which can be used in A1 (if under 250g), or in A3 (with the plus batterie, other accessories, p.ex.).
Or created a bird, that is neither legacy nor C0/1 class, because it got declassified AFTER 2023.

It may not be a important thing, in numbers. And DJI should know best, how often people declassified Mini 4 Pro in 2024, BEFORE the update, and without applying for a C1 AFTER the update

Btw., a drone, sold in 2023, it has no sticker in the box. Is DJI sending the C1 sticker to the buyer? Or do people have a C1 without C1 sticker, then.
Which makes some of them not a legacy drone (declassified after 2023!), nor a C1 drone. Almost the same problem, somehow
2-11 02:42
Use props
harweyko
lvl.3
Flight distance : 605121 ft

Slovakia

AFAIK DJI is sending stickers and requires pictures with C0 sticker removed and C1 sticker glued on left side of the drone (plus sticker inside the drone with drone type identification needs to be changed but I think picture is not required), then they verify it within 3 days and provide user with C1 certificate..
2-12 06:34
Use props
pteron
lvl.2
Belgium

I'm not seeing the advantage of re-classifying as C1 though - what does it get you?
2-13 03:45
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Seems like there are a lot of mini 4 pilots eager to fly a plus batterie in europe?
Despite that it is not even 100% certain, that they can do that legally with the mini 4 pro model number they have?
I really don't know.
I just wanted to know, since prices for legacy <250g mini 3 pro and 4 pro seem to rice and declassifying after 2023 looks like a grey area, too, how could a buyer make sure to know, what ge get?
A 2023 legacy Mini 4, a 2023 activated, but 2024 declassified bird, which may or may not be a legacy one.
The 2024 activated ones are another thing. It may be, that the date of  storage / selling in europe might be the factor.
And all 2024 packed/delivered (to europe) birds, with a C1 stickerset in the box should not be able to called legacy, methinks.

Just thinking on EU paper pushers, my guess is, they wanted a simple solution, not a difficult one.

Also, and I am certain that "no-C" mini 4 pro owners would like to know that:

What happens, if a legacy mini 4 needs repair, gets changed (care refresh), will it be a legacy, that comes back?
Or will there still be a chance, to make it one, legally?
2-13 04:05
Use props
fans003da6b0
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-10 23:21
Hi there. Thank you for patiently waiting. If you are referring to the drone that was purchased in 2023 and then removed the 120m height limitation, we have released the DJI Fly app V1.12.8 which allows users to apply for a C1 label for the DJI Mini 4 Pro therefore there will be nothing to worry. Please note that the DJI Mini 4 Pro sold in 2024 has a C0 label attached to the drone and has a C1 sticker in the package while the DJI Mini 4 Pro that was sold in 2023 automatically comes with a C0 label only. Feel free to contact us if you have other inquiries. Have a good one.
I purchased my Mini 4 on March 29th. There was no “1” sticker included in the box.
4-14 15:03
Use props
MKmini4
lvl.3
Germany

Because you live in the USA.
4-14 22:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules