Different crops when processing Mavic 3 Pro RAWs in different pac...
254 7 1-22 19:51
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ed Hurst
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hello there,

I've been shooting stills using the Mavic 3 Pro - always in RAW (DNG) format.  My workflow involves processing RAW files using either Adobe Camera RAW or DxO; they have different strengths and I find it useful to decide which to use based on the requirements of each specific image.

However, I've noticed something really odd.  Even though both packages are set to show me the whole image (so no cropping), the ACR images show me less image than the DxO images.  There's a noticeable amount of 'extra image' visible in DxO.  Try as I might, I have found no way to get ACR to show me these extra data.  I've checked the pixel dimensions they're set to; confirmed there is no cropping set; etc..  As the images are shot in RAW on the drone, there's no digital zoom applied.  So I am stumped!  Any idea what's going on and how to get ACR to show me 'the whole image'?

Many thanks,
Ed
1-22 19:51
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Could ACR be applying some Lens correction?
1-23 00:18
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
Canada

I've noticed that too. Plus DXO applies lens correction.
1-23 02:20
Use props
Ed Hurst
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks for your replies.  I too thought it must be to do with lens correction - though I have this apparently switched off in ACR.  However, if it is this, then it's happening quite crudely in ACR, since the DxO images are more corrected and still retain more image.  I guess it has to be this, but it's odd given the extent of image lost in ACR, combined with the apparent lack of meaningful correction.
1-23 03:02
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ACR is always applying profile to each RAW image to combat vignette etc.
This is something that cant be switched on or off, lens profile that you can set in editing panel is applied on top of that correction.
Thats why you lossing some information on the borders.
RAWTherapy has an option to strip the file from any corrections ( Files look very ugly then ).
Not sure if DXO is doing it on a similar basis.
1-23 04:37
Use props
Ed Hurst
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DxO certainly does corrections - indeed I want it to, since it does it so well.  However, it does so while also retaining more of the edges than ACR.  So if the latter is doing corrections, it's not producing as a good a result IMO and it's losing more image in the process.  On that basis DxO is a better option.  The only trouble is that I find I can get colours, tones, local corrections, etc. the way I want them in ACR much more effectively/easily than I can in DxO - but all that could just be a failure of skill on my part.
1-23 13:03
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ed Hurst Posted at 1-23 13:03
DxO certainly does corrections - indeed I want it to, since it does it so well.  However, it does so while also retaining more of the edges than ACR.  So if the latter is doing corrections, it's not producing as a good a result IMO and it's losing more image in the process.  On that basis DxO is a better option.  The only trouble is that I find I can get colours, tones, local corrections, etc. the way I want them in ACR much more effectively/easily than I can in DxO - but all that could just be a failure of skill on my part.

I tried DXO and its doing the same thing as Lightroom ( cropping ) when corrections are applied.
Especially distortion.
I wonder what are your settings.
Sharpening is also not for my liking in DXO, The one applied as a correction of course.
Maybe I need to spend more time with it, idk.
1-24 01:14
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ed Hurst Posted at 1-23 13:03
DxO certainly does corrections - indeed I want it to, since it does it so well.  However, it does so while also retaining more of the edges than ACR.  So if the latter is doing corrections, it's not producing as a good a result IMO and it's losing more image in the process.  On that basis DxO is a better option.  The only trouble is that I find I can get colours, tones, local corrections, etc. the way I want them in ACR much more effectively/easily than I can in DxO - but all that could just be a failure of skill on my part.
None of the lens distorion options give me uncropped image. Im curious what are your settings.
Cheers

1-24 02:12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules