DJI Mic 1 Vs. Mic 2 standalone: Which sounds the best?
5170 17 1-23 03:15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Why Sit Home?
lvl.4
Montenegro

Hey there! Today I'd like to compare the DJI Mic 1 which came out a few years ago against the newly released Mic 2 and find out which sounds the best! As my Mic 2 came with the Pocket 3, I don't have a dedicated transmitter, so in this video I'll be using both lavaliers as standalone recorders neglecting their bluetooth connection range. Honestly, I was really surprised by how good the first model sounds, and to tell the truth, I would pick this one over the other The noise cancellation feature really ruins all the quality, but even when it's off, there's a feeling that the frequency range of the Mic 1 is much wider than of the newer model. But anyway let me know what you think!

1-23 03:15
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice test video.  I'm not an audiophile so for me the Mic 2 sounds better and it does have much better range than the Mic 1.  Therefore I'm more happy using the Mic 2.  

No doubt others will prefer Mic 1 but you did ask the question.
1-23 03:46
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I don't hear any difference. At the sea side a bit more bass with 2. Sound definitely no reason to switch. Okay, with the dead cat off there's a difference with the background sound.
1-23 05:10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maybe I missed it,  but did you check the 32bit float recordings.  
1-23 06:08
Use props
Why Sit Home?
lvl.4
Montenegro

DAFlys Posted at 1-23 06:08
Maybe I missed it,  but did you check the 32bit float recordings.

I did but this is something that's missing on the Mic 1 so I decided not to even mention it.
1-23 06:36
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why Sit Home? Posted at 1-23 06:36
I did but this is something that's missing on the Mic 1 so I decided not to even mention it.

Right but if the 32bit mode does sound better then thats a good reason to upgrade.
1-23 06:37
Use props
Why Sit Home?
lvl.4
Montenegro

DAFlys Posted at 1-23 06:37
Right but if the 32bit mode does sound better then thats a good reason to upgrade.

32 bit audio only gives you a wider dynamic range (which lets you tweak the volume in post way more) but has nothing to do with quality — you'd never tell the difference between 24 and 32 bit.
1-23 09:15
Use props
clearaudiopls
lvl.1

United States

The Mic2 sounds way more muffled than Mic1.  We just got a Mic2 and are in the process of returning it, so muffled that it really hurts the feeling of our recordings
1-25 07:32
Use props
Why Sit Home?
lvl.4
Montenegro

clearaudiopls Posted at 1-25 07:32
The Mic2 sounds way more muffled than Mic1.  We just got a Mic2 and are in the process of returning it, so muffled that it really hurts the feeling of our recordings

Couldn't agree more
1-25 22:53
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45049 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Question, on Mic2 did you set the 'Low Cut'? I ask this because Mic2 sounds very muffled. This is because there is a problem with the 'Low Cut' limiter, which not only cuts the low frequencies but unfortunately also the high ones.
1-28 01:31
Use props
Why Sit Home?
lvl.4
Montenegro

OnePixel Posted at 1-28 01:31
Question, on Mic2 did you set the 'Low Cut'? I ask this because Mic2 sounds very muffled. This is because there is a problem with the 'Low Cut' limiter, which not only cuts the low frequencies but unfortunately also the high ones.

I didn't because you can only do it in the camera setting when it's connected to it. But as I said, I used both the mics are standalone recorders and recorded the sound internally, without hooking them up to the camera. And as far as I know, you can only tweak the Noise Cancellation feature but nothing else.
1-28 05:39
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

Why Sit Home? Posted at 1-28 05:39
I didn't because you can only do it in the camera setting when it's connected to it. But as I said, I used both the mics are standalone recorders and recorded the sound internally, without hooking them up to the camera. And as far as I know, you can only tweak the Noise Cancellation feature but nothing else.

By default, the 'Low Cut' function should be activated. This would explain the muffled sound. I hope DJI will remedy this with the next firmware updates. Of course they could have thought of that before putting them on the market.
1-28 08:31
Use props
Jhony Alex
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183094 ft
Mexico

Saquen los DJI 2
1-29 01:03
Use props
Why Sit Home?
lvl.4
Montenegro

OnePixel Posted at 1-28 08:31
By default, the 'Low Cut' function should be activated. This would explain the muffled sound. I hope DJI will remedy this with the next firmware updates. Of course they could have thought of that before putting them on the market.

I hooked it up to my P3, and the low cut function is off. So it was off when I was filming the video too.
1-30 04:33
Use props
OnePixel
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

Why Sit Home? Posted at 1-30 04:33
I hooked it up to my P3, and the low cut function is off. So it was off when I was filming the video too.

Thank you for your reply
1-30 08:54
Use props
djiuser_ShJcaDa3SUEp
New

United States

Can I connect the mic to my iPhone to do my podcast
2-13 16:09
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good test!
2-24 13:07
Use props
Why Sit Home?
lvl.4
Montenegro

djiuser_ShJcaDa3SUEp Posted at 2-13 16:09
Can I connect the mic to my iPhone to do my podcast

You can but you'll need a third-party app like Blackmagic Camera. But I warn you that the sound you'll get will be rather bad
3-11 05:14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules