New SD Card Formatting Issues
385 14 1-23 11:09
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cpt9217
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33678 ft

United States

I have been using a Lexar 1066x 64GB V30 A2 microSDXC in my Mavic 3E since the purchase date. However, it recently got damaged so I bought a new card, a Samsung PRO Plus 256GB V30 A2 microSDXC, which is on the approved list for this drone. I initally inserted the card into my reader and did a quick format to exFAT and went out to do a mapping flight. After returning to the office I inserted this card into my reader to transfer files and immediately got a message telling me the card needed to be formatted as it had an unrecognizable file system.

Luckily, I have software that can recover the lost images but I still have yet to fix this issue. I have tried formatting on windows, using a different card reader, and formatting on the RC itself, all of which haven't yet proved successful. Can anyone shed some light on what I may be doing wrong? I currently have three different SD cards, all various sizes of the Samsung PRO Plus V30 A2, and all three are giving me the same problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1-23 11:09
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Happens to me with any Samsung pro plus card i use in my Mavic 3 Pro.  No idea why.  I have concluded that i am unable to format these cards in my drone and instead i need to format them on my windows computer or simply delete the files using windows.  Going forward, I never format the Samsung card in the M3P else the drone will record the videos and all the files will appear to be there but unable to actually access them when you insert the card in your computer.  Not a big deal (because I have 512) but unfortunate if I were to accidentally format in the field (which is why I carry a back up card).  Hopefully DJI will fix this bug.

Did you say you were able to eventually retrieve those videos and picture files off the card using software?
1-23 11:41
Use props
cpt9217
lvl.1

United States

The Saint Posted at 1-23 11:41
Happens to me with any Samsung pro plus card i use in my Mavic 3 Pro.  No idea why.  I have concluded that i am unable to format these cards in my drone and instead i need to format them on my windows computer or simply delete the files using windows.  Going forward, I never format the Samsung card in the M3P else the drone will record the videos and all the files will appear to be there but unable to actually access them when you insert the card in your computer.  Not a big deal (because I have 512) but unfortunate if I were to accidentally format in the field (which is why I carry a back up card).  Hopefully DJI will fix this bug.

Did you say you were able to eventually retrieve those videos and picture files off the card using software?

Yes I use Wondershare Recoverit. It's unforunately a paid software, but I've used in the past for similar issues and it works well. I just run a recovery on the card and find the full size files.

Once I format the card in windows and use it in the drone, it works fine. But as I said previously the minute I insert that card into any computer (I've tried several) the data is gone. I haven't tried a different brand of SD card because I assumed one that was on the approved list would work. I guess I was wrong.
1-23 11:46
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

cpt9217 Posted at 1-23 11:46
Yes I use Wondershare Recoverit. It's unforunately a paid software, but I've used in the past for similar issues and it works well. I just run a recovery on the card and find the full size files.

Once I format the card in windows and use it in the drone, it works fine. But as I said previously the minute I insert that card into any computer (I've tried several) the data is gone. I haven't tried a different brand of SD card because I assumed one that was on the approved list would work. I guess I was wrong.

Ok, I'll remember that sw in case I find myself in a bind.

So let me understand, if you format the card exFAT in your windows computer and you put it in your drone and record the videos and then put it back into the computer, you cannot read the files?
1-23 12:50
Use props
ValleyForge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24754 ft
Australia

The Saint Posted at 1-23 12:50

So let me understand, if you format the card exFAT in your windows computer and you put it in your drone and record the videos and then put it back into the computer, you cannot read the files?

I guess someones PC can't read external drives with exFAT cards.
But mine sure can - It's what I use for the microSD cards in our security cameras, dashcams, drones, other cameras....
1-23 17:37
Use props
Gizmo6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28140 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the heads up on the Samsung card and M3E incompatibility/format issues.

I have been using the Lexar 256GB v30 1066x A2 MicroSD cards in my M3E and have had no issues.  I have been formatting the card in the M3E prior to every mission, and have had no issues reading data from them using various types of SD card readers.

I try and avoid formatting the MicroSD cards outside the drone on my PC or laptop unless I absolutely need to.  I will however use my PC to check the card for errors from time to time.
1-24 09:12
Use props
cpt9217
lvl.1

United States

The Saint Posted at 1-23 12:50

Yes even with formatting the card to exFAT on my pc. Once I insert that card into my drone it immediately wipes out any formatting I performed. I have to imagine it's a bug with samsung cards, I just didn't think it would happen with one on the official list.

I went ahead and bought the same Lexar 1066 cards as I never had any issues with those from the jump, until I dropped it.
1-24 12:16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

cpt9217 Posted at 1-24 12:16
Yes even with formatting the card to exFAT on my pc. Once I insert that card into my drone it immediately wipes out any formatting I performed. I have to imagine it's a bug with samsung cards, I just didn't think it would happen with one on the official list.

I went ahead and bought the same Lexar 1066 cards as I never had any issues with those from the jump, until I dropped it.

Wow, that's too bad; I haven't had that particular issue on Mavic 3 Pro.  The Samsung cards are very good and they were pretty inexpensive for awhile.  Hopefully DJI will fix that bug since they advertise it as an approved card.
1-24 13:24
Use props
ECGIS
lvl.1

United States

I am also having problems with that exact card in my M3E. Bought it because it was the only medium size Samsung card on the recommended list for the aircraft. I've always had great luck with Samsung SD cards.

If I format in my PC then insert it into the Mavic, power the aircraft  and controller up, it'll work fine. However, when I power the Mavic off and leave the card in, and power it back on, I'll get the "SD Card Error" warning. I've tried all manner of troubleshooting by taking different steps, but always get the same result.  If I power it off, I'll get the error until I pull it out, format it in my PC, and put it back in. Below are the things I have tried all with the same result.
- Tried to format in the "..." camera settings, when in this error, format card doesn't appear
- Disabled quick format in PC
- Inserted into controller and formatted there, then moved back to the aircraft
- Removed battery, then removed card and stored it. When ready to fly, reinsert card then battery

Either I got a bad card from Amazon, or this should be taken off the recommended list. Right now I find that a Lexar 64GB V30 A2 1066x card works without issue so maybe I'll just buy a couple more of those.
2-2 06:18
Use props
cpt9217
lvl.1

United States

That is the exact card I had that didn't work. I ended doing the same and getting two of the Lexar 1066x 64GB from B&H and they work perfectly. I've also used a Sandisk (don't remember the exact model) a handful of times and it's worked as well. Bottom line is the samsung cards don't work. Hopefully they resolve this and/or update the list.
2-2 06:23
Use props
ECGIS
lvl.1

United States

cpt9217 Posted at 2-2 06:23
That is the exact card I had that didn't work. I ended doing the same and getting two of the Lexar 1066x 64GB from B&H and they work perfectly. I've also used a Sandisk (don't remember the exact model) a handful of times and it's worked as well. Bottom line is the samsung cards don't work. Hopefully they resolve this and/or update the list.

Update on this, because I am who I am, I realized that I purchased TWO of those Samsung cards. Tried the other one out. Both do the same exact thing. No way two cards are faulty, it has to be a compatibility issue.
2-2 07:42
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

ECGIS Posted at 2-2 07:42
Update on this, because I am who I am, I realized that I purchased TWO of those Samsung cards. Tried the other one out. Both do the same exact thing. No way two cards are faulty, it has to be a compatibility issue.

They could both be counterfeit. Download one of the many card checking apps and see. I have this card and it works perfectly in my Classic.
2-2 08:18
Use props
ECGIS
lvl.1

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-2 08:18
They could both be counterfeit. Download one of the many card checking apps and see. I have this card and it works perfectly in my Classic.

Solid advice, haven't done that before. Is there one you would recommend?
2-2 09:29
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1829121 ft
United States

I have been using this one in my 3E for a while. I have two of them. Not had issues with either one. I importing a pic, since Sandisk has such a peculiar naming convention that makes no particular sense.
2-2 13:22
Use props
EllinorWilliam
lvl.2

This seems to be a logical error. If you have a Mac then try repairing the Card Using Disk Utility, On your Mac, open Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Then, select your Samsung SD card from the sidebar. Click First Aid at the top and wait for the repair to complete. This may fix the problem.
On Windows, chkdsk will be a better option to fix the SD card not being recognized. Read here: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog ... t-recognized-error/
2-4 21:37
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules