Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi folks, me again, I saw that, stop rolling ya eyes... :p

I have to try to do some testing next time I'm at the pool. I do not want to waste time as i won't get another shot until the following month so i need to work with the one that will take longer to overheat, i think it will be .h264 as I believe .h265 uses more processing power, is that correct?

Thanks

BTW, putting the overheating to one side, its a fantastic camera, the quality over the cheaper ''4k'' action cameras is leaps ahead, but my favourite is that it doesn't need a case to go in water (Im aware of the depth restrictions) of which allows for great sound, unlike the cheaper cameras where the ambient sound is gone and even wearing them on your person doesn't help much with your voice. All in all, i am very happy with it for what i want and thats mostly for kayaking.
1-27 04:50
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

You are asking the wrong question. Neither H264 or 265 "overheats" by itself. Yes, 265 is more processor intensive but here are other factors such as resolution and framerate that plays a role in how fast the camera will heat up.

If you film in 1080p using 30fps or less, the camera won't heat up for 2.5 hours (or as long as your battery lasts) regardless of which compression you select.
Film in 1080p using 60fps or more and your camera will start to get warm soon. The higher the framerate the sooner it will get warm.
2.7 and 4k has higher resolution so depending on your frame rate, the camera will get warmer even faster.

If you want to be able to film for a very long time without heat buildup (at least 2.5 hours), use 1080 with 24/25/30 fps.

People seem to get different results for heat buildup. Some people's camera heats up very fast on 4k and others' don't. You should do testing to see where your camera fits in, this way you get a better idea for future shots.
1-27 11:45
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 1-27 11:45
You are asking the wrong question. Neither H264 or 265 "overheats" by itself. Yes, 265 is more processor intensive but here are other factors such as resolution and framerate that plays a role in how fast the camera will heat up.

If you film in 1080p using 30fps or less, the camera won't heat up for 2.5 hours (or as long as your battery lasts) regardless of which compression you select.

You answered it in the 2nd sentence, thank you.

The problem with the pool is, the pool building is very hot inside, somewhere between 25C and 30C at a guess, it might even be hotter than that, i will try to remember to take a temp sensor with me.

That said, I will be testing in 1080/60, 4k/60 and 4k/120
1-27 17:31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules