303 3 1-31 10:55
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Darkozi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3678986 ft
Serbia

Please give me an advice.

Few weeks ago I flew pretty high (approx to 400m) to make a video of my town that was covered with snow. While there  I saw on the controller screen that there are some clouds under my drone and the houses were partly hidden by cloud, and it gave it a very nice look. I was happy with it. As the cloud was moving it covered my drone completely, so the screen went gray. To get out of it I logically pushed my stick down to get lower, under the cloud. To get out of it. But the drone went into landing mode with audio message "Landing!". I quickly canceled it but I was stuck in the cloud. I tried it multiple times. To go lower with the same result. So, I just changed the drone's position horizontaly until I got out of the cloud. Very stresfull moments for me.
I know, when I pushed down the stick and the sensors detected even surface (cloud) it thought I wanted to land.
Was my solution the only one? Could it fall from the sky if it continued landing? Guess it would.
Did anyone have similar experience and how to get out of it?
Thanks.
1-31 10:55
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In landing mode the drone would have descended in a controlled manner until it reached solid ground.  

It would NOT have fallen from the sky.
I should mention one possible problem, the descent rate can be very slow if the drone thinks the cloud is close to the bottom of the drone.

Other advice, 400m is likely to be an illegal height, you are probably legally limited to 120m or 400ft.
2-1 02:36
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. Positioning during takeoff/landing comes from combining the data from the vision sensor and GPS. Please be cautious with your flight environment and avoid reflective surfaces and this type of object as the sensor may not work properly. Thank you for your understanding.
2-2 01:01
Use props
Balzer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1070256 ft
  • >>>
Germany

EDIT: Sorry, I just now realized, that you got an Air2S. I don't think my answer is valid for that drone. With the Air3 and I think the Mini4pro you can deactivate the collosion sensor, but I don't think DJI allows that on older drones, sorry for be a little to quick on the response there.

OLD Info (Valid only for Air3):

If you fly into the Clouds I would reccomend deactivating the collision sensor beforehand. That will allow you to fly in foggy conditions without the drone detacting non existing obstacles. There should be a setting to do so in the Settings menu of your controller/DJI Fly App. BUT: Please only do so at your own risk and remember to activate the sensor again, once you are closer to the ground and actual obstacales. Also remember, that with the sensors deactivated, the drone will also just crash into the ground instead of landing proberly once you decide to bring it back, so only deactivate these while in the air and turn them back on asap when needed.
2-2 01:51
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules