Tethered Drones - WTF?
4729 13 2015-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geebax
Captain
Australia

This beggars belief: http://www.rtdna.org/article/eng ... s_for_newsgathering

I can think of half a dozen reasons why it would not work, without even going deeply into it.
2015-9-9
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

When I first got my P3, i had it tethered to the ground in my back yard with a 50 foot nylon string.
Only did that for a couple flights until I got used to the remote etc and made sure there were no control issues.  
My wife laughed at me.

2015-9-9
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please share...

I've thought about doing this for a long time.  All you need is a cable to feed power up and one to feed live video down.  Heck, you could even send the "remote" signals over the power lines and not have to worry about RF at all.   Launch the "drone",  let it sit over were it needs to be for a few hours and then land.
2015-9-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

50 feet of nylon string is one thing, power and signal cables are another. The motors used in these aircraft are heavy on current, therefore the power feed needs to be heavy duty cable, so in a very short distance you are going to be trying to lift more cable than the aircraft is capable of lifting.

You *COULD* use thinner cable and send a high voltage feed up to the aircraft, but then you need to have the electronics to convert the high voltage to low voltage/high current, and that adds serious weight to the aircraft. Of course you would have serious safety issues in flying high voltage cable.

Then, how much can you move about until you run out of cable, or tangle it in trees, poles or whatever.

Nope, this is a dumb idea.
2015-9-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

They used to race tethered cars that ran around a pole.
I remember the tethered model planes.

Today...
http://www.tethereddrones.com
The cars are still around.
http://www.tethercars.com

RedHotPoker

2015-9-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-9-10 15:07
They used to race tethered cars that ran around a pole.
I remember the tethered model planes.

Yeah, I remember them. They used hot motors and ran tethered by a steel cable to a central pole.
2015-9-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Count the revolutions around the track, this car does in one minute.

That thing must be smoking hot. & the tires. (Tyres) ;-)

Times have sure changed in the RC world, that I remember.

RedHotPoker

2015-9-9
Use props
rhutty
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I wondered if flying my p3p on the end of 400ft of , say 50lbs fishing line might be a way around the UK laws regarding making money from aerial video. Technically it is no longer free flying, so may avoid the CAA restrictions....I wonder
RayH
2015-9-9
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

rhutty@gmail.co Posted at 2015-9-10 02:50
I wondered if flying my p3p on the end of 400ft of , say 50lbs fishing line might be a way around th ...

I'm looking at something like this but using a balloon.

Having a difficult time finding FAA regulations for small balloons. All I've found is hot air and helium manned versions.

The government is flying a couple of huge balloons over Aberdeen Proving Grounds tethered at 10,000 feet using synthetic aperture radar on board  http://www.wbaltv.com/news/secon ... area-test/34805606.
2015-9-10
Use props
xaq7
lvl.1

United States

I've tried this on my hobby quad. Ran a 12v supply up 18 gauge wire, only about 5 feet of it though. Had it hovering in basement for 2 hours. Definitely persistent. Makes me wonder about service life of motors and props.
http://youtu.be/WUvj4m0lpFI
2015-9-10
Use props
FireHawk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 285758 ft
United States

I use to have a tethered gas model airplane growing up.  Think about it:  A 10 year old with gasoline and and spinning prop that would take a finger off.  Yes, I have my digits accounted for.
2015-9-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

FireHawk Posted at 2015-9-11 00:57
I use to have a tethered gas model airplane growing up.  Think about it:  A 10 year old with gasolin ...

And just as much fun with a single channel radio control that only operated the rudder! And it had valves in it!
2015-9-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

rhutty@gmail.co Posted at 2015-9-10 16:50
I wondered if flying my p3p on the end of 400ft of , say 50lbs fishing line might be a way around th ...

Ask the BBC, they were using a tethered blimp for getting high altitude shots of the recent Ashes cricket matches in the UK.
2015-9-10
Use props
AssHatModerator
lvl.2

United States

xaq7@hotmail.co Posted at 2015-9-10 10:38
I've tried this on my hobby quad. Ran a 12v supply up 18 gauge wire, only about 5 feet of it though. ...

Neat.  I imagine the reduction in weight by removing the battery would put a lot less strain on the motors.  Any plans on trying it outside with a longer tether?
2015-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules