Phantom 3 flyaway after upgrade to 1.4.0010
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leon.hughes
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi,

I've just upgraded my firmware / app (iPad Air2) to the latest version.  Made two succesful flights, but then received a compass error in mid air.  This has never happened before and I was at 80 metres in height well away from any sources of magnetic interferance in an open field.  The Phantom started to drift very quickly to the left and would not accept any stick inputs accept altitude.  I managed to ascend to 120 Metres to buy some time, then switched to ATTI mode when I was able to bring the aircraft back.  The compass then seemed to rectify itself and I was able to switch back to P mode and fly as normal.  This was the first time I'd even tried ATTI mode but it seemingly saved the Phantom from a crash.  Has anyone else seen this?  Should I get the craft looked at by my local repair centre?  Also, if the switch had been locked in the settings so that it couldn't switch out of P mode would I have been stuffed?  
Also, I calibrated the compass prior to flying and it was showing at about 1400 in the sensors menu.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Leon.

2015-9-9
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Holly crapp that's a heart stopper wtg on keeping your cool and switching to atti.Atmospheric conditions perhaps really  strange behavior hopefully you get to the bottom of this.
2015-9-9
Use props
1320frank
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2624856 ft
United States

After updating firmware......

a) calibrate gimbal
b) remove aircraft from refrigerator and calibrate IMU as fast as possible.
c) calibrate R/C sticks and thumbwheel
d) calibrate compass
e) check instructions for Whether or not the R/C firmware needs updating
f) check all settings per your liking.

If you don't do the above, you can expect a greater chance of issues.  
2015-9-9
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i am glad you saved it. it is not necessarily a problem with the p3. it could have been a magnetic anomaly, they do happen at altitudes too. eg: the sun's k-index, u could go and check it out uavforecast.com and see what it was in your area at the time this happened.  
2015-9-9
Use props
axidify
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2867146 ft
Malaysia

we had a pretty high kp reading yesterday that carried on until today.
2015-9-9
Use props
Nicholas Rønsho
lvl.3

Denmark

axidify Posted at 2015-9-10 06:01
we had a pretty high kp reading yesterday that carried on until today.

yep it was on 6 again yesterday,
2015-9-9
Use props
doug6226
New

United States

I upgraded mine to 1.4 flew it a few times, all good.  Sat morning 9/13/15 I flew it with zero issues around 9 am. I flew it again around 11 am ...took it up less than 200' and less than 200' away and all of a sudden it took a hard turn and hit the road..it was gone over all of the trees.  I lost full gps , communication, video  ect in under 1000' but it stayed in the air.  No failsafes worked      NEVER had an issue on the previous 150+ flights with the old software. I think its related.  I ALWAYS calibrate before flight and always have many locked in sats.  
I had it for less than two months.  My kids and I were doing a school project and we were planning on using it.  I really hope DJI steps up and does the right thing.  I am in the home service business and man o man if I don't make the wrong right I'm kinda screwed...customers will go nutty on you.  

I just hope they actually read what I sent in and actually look at what I sent as they will clearly see how it went off and how fast full communications were lost..less than 1000'.

My friends have picked up P3's have not upgraded to 1.4.  I wish I didn't either.

I would love for a full replacment, I think its justified but who knows.  Maybe we can work something out as I am a reasonable person.

As of today I have not heard back from DJI  

2015-9-15
Use props
hfmann
lvl.1
Flight distance : 100981 ft
United States

doug6226 Posted at 2015-9-15 18:37
I upgraded mine to 1.4 flew it a few times, all good.  Sat morning 9/13/15 I flew it with zero issue ...

Won't help you any at this point but I'm wondering if one can restore a previous version?   I was about to upgrade mine until I read your these posts.
2015-9-15
Use props
safetyguy
New

Russia

Install parachute system, that will save your Phantom in any case.
2015-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules