332 9 2-1 05:35
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ukaleq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1303780 ft
Germany

Hello DJI,

Reposting this as it seems like you are not looking at somewhat older threads...
Please see my post
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 181&pid=3234475
where I provided raw files and firmware info as per your request ofdecember (been away from home and from the drone).

To recap: it is not entirely clear to me if it is an intermittent problem or if it is always there but is simply much more obvious in certain conditions -  of course in the sky, but it also clearly visible when you have vast expanses of snow or ice which happens to be a recurring theme in my shots... On some of my Greenland shots I recall seeing  even stranger patterns like unexplained darker areas in the bottom, middle region.

I hope this problem can finally be solved by changing the drone or the camera because until now it is clear I should hvae stuck to the Mavic 2 and not have wasted €1500+...
Many thanks.

2-1 05:35
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the trouble. Upon reviewing your previous thread, can you please confirm if the image you uploaded on the original post was already edited using third-party software? If not, please upload the original file showing the issue with the colors for us to check it further. Please keep us posted.
2-1 23:00
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Germany

Hi DJI Paladin,

Your colleague asked me to upload raw files on dropbox and I did.  
You can already see the problem on the raw files without changing any settings, I think that answers the question.
In fact, you can even see it in the tiny embedded preview on dropbox!  Of course it will only get worse after increasing the contrast, etc. as you normally do with raw files.

To recap:
- problem visible in the file preview of a RAW file
- problem visible upon opening the RAW file with lightroom, photoshop, etc.
- problem visible in original JPEG files  
Here is a panorama straight from the drone using the DJI panorama function. It is absolutely atrocious.

Please fix the problem, I bought a new drone at the new price last year and I am entitled to a camera that works. I used many digital cameras in my life, I have never seen anything like this.  

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/f6wnnsl1sf5fljmeom4xo/DJI_0535.JPG?rlkey=95on6paiqrmzxxxk9wzfmkt9j&dl=0

2-2 15:35
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1829121 ft
United States

I spent 3 years in the Arctic doing research with NOAA. I didn't use drones, as they had not come of age yet. Did a massive number of pics out of the aircraft though. Film and digital. We would be out over the icepack, low level or out in the Aleutian's all year round. I quickly learned to shoot everything with an 81A filter. Not actually seen one for a drone, but you could cut gels and stick them under the clear frame lens. Not sure it will correct your problem, but it did fix my images. The far north is tough on color balance, aside from batteries, fingers and noses.

2-2 19:51
Use props
paki1955
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384055 ft
Serbia

Dogpilot Posted at 2-2 19:51
I spent 3 years in the Arctic doing research with NOAA. I didn't use drones, as they had not come of age yet. Did a massive number of pics out of the aircraft though. Film and digital. We would be out over the icepack, low level or out in the Aleutian's all year round. I quickly learned to shoot everything with an 81A filter. Not actually seen one for a drone, but you could cut gels and stick them under the clear frame lens. Not sure it will correct your problem, but it did fix my images. The far north is tough on color balance, aside from batteries, fingers and noses.

[view_image]

intuitively
2-3 06:03
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Germany

Working in the artic would be my dream job. But such a filter reduces the color temp, I see its use with film, with RAW files where you can change the color temp by 1000s of degrees I kinda doubt it can do very much.
In any case, it has nothing to do with the pathological behavior of this camera and seeing how many people on this forum are trying to deny the obvious, I am starting to have doubts about the purpose of this forum. As you can see on this file (same as in the dropbox link above), these crazy shades of green and magenta can be seen everywhere. And it is not an artifact of the stitching algorithm because unfortunately it is present in every single RAW frame. I don't think anyone can say in good faith that it is not a major f*** up.

2-4 15:53
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1829121 ft
United States

I get what you're saying, but the arctic is a major color shift in and of itself. Light has to travel through a great deal more atmosphere due to the tilt of the axis relative to the sun. The extra atmosphere alters the color in a major way. Almost everybody up there uses warming filters to shift the color back to something a bit more normal. I am not saying these sensors are perfect, not by a long shot. I just dumped my Mavic 3 Pro due to my personal objection to how the images come out on that camera. We like to think of our eyes as cameras, but they work differently. Our brain processes everything we see, a lot. It is constantly stitching together a panorama, adjusting color, brightness and contrast to give us what it thinks is a perfect view. If you wear colored lenses, let's say blue. At first you would notice everything is blue, but your brain would alter your perception after a while, essentially color shifting it to your normal. Then you remove your glasses and suddenly everything is magenta. Quickly, your brain shifts the image back to normal. Same goes for taking pictures of flowers, especially purple ones. The digital sensor see purple a lot differently than your eyes do. So the images always seem off.

This is kind of a lame explanation of why you need to use a warming filter up there. BTW, working in the arctic or antarctic is a challenge. Especially a mental one. Gets quite boring and isolated up in the big void. Part of the depressed feelings you get after a few weeks up there is the color shift. It is why now, they put wide spectrum lights in the quarters. To combat this. I am a geologist and working with small sections of the spectrum is very important for me to identify different formations and kind of rocks by their reflected light. Just for fun, if you have a polarizing filter and a regular digital camera. Put it on a very wide lens, say 24mm. You can see extreme banding in the sky. A lot of light is polarized as it passes through the atmosphere due to the gasses and aerosols in the atmosphere. Again the arctic it is far more evident due to the distance light travels through atmosphere. So part of your problem in the panoramas may be due to the sensor doing a processing job on that section of sky, but it comes out differently. Even RAW images are processed to a small extent since most of the images in the drones are pixel binned to simulate more resolution than is natively on the sensor. Again a lot more is going on up there in the higher latitudes than is immediately apparent.
2-4 17:44
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Does it happen in the same spot in the picture every time, or does it move around according to the subject?
2-4 18:26
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Germany

So DJI Paladin, what do you have to say about these pictures?

It will soon be one year since I purchased this drone, which obviously has a manufacturing defect, and you refuse to acknowledge the obvious. At least, in 2017, when I had a defective gimbal in my P4pro plus or whatever, you quickly changed it.

About the Arctic: I mentioned Greenland but this particular glacier is actually in Switzerland. I published an article (in French) about it a couple of years ago, illustrated with a spheric  pano shot with Mavic 2. Why did I buy the 3?? Maybe I should do the next article with all the hues of green and magenta and let the readers decide if they like these fantasy colors.

https://www.yonder.fr/destinations/grand-angle/glacier-aletsch-suisse-du-plus-pres-au-plus-loin-en-crampons-et-parapente
2-6 14:46
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Germany

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-4 18:26
Does it happen in the same spot in the picture every time, or does it move around according to the subject?

It tends to be across the frame but is of course more visible in the sky or if youhave snow or any other uniform surface. I just happen to photograph snow and ice so I am not gonna see it in the sahara desert but I am sure it would be all the same. I don't know if the green is always where the green is. I wasted hours of my life trying to understand if specific light conditions would trigger it (since not all pictures are so bad) but got nowhere,  and after all I am not paid to be a tester, I purchased this thing and am entitled to a working product.
2-6 14:52
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules