Newbie --- 3D Terrain Modeling Tutorial
288 9 2-1 18:39
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iaw4
lvl.1

United States

hi --- I just picked up someone's used Mavic Pro 2 who is upgrading.  I have never flown a drone, but the internet sites claim it's easy.  I do know I have to register with the FAA.

my main goal is to 3D map terrain.  Ideally, I fly a few times over the terrain, and upload the footage, and then I gain the ability to do virtual flying (zooming, etc) over the terrain (with VR glasses?) and/or obtain a 3D wire model.  could someone please recommend a good tutorial and/or provide recommendation?

I also wonder whether the binocular vision makes it easy to record and estimate distance of objects, presumably in conjunction with GPS location data.  (Does it record inertial, too?). Presumably, a tutorial will tell me some about it.

Pointers appreciated.

2-1 18:39
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Take a look at Drone Deploy.  
2-2 03:23
Use props
iaw4
lvl.1

United States

there is also https://www.hammermissions.com/ .

2-2 09:44
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Take a look at DJI GS pro and DJI Pilot. It's free, it works very well with the Mavic 2. For the rest, WebODM or invest in reconstruction software.

Ipad only ! :
DJI GS Pro - DJI

android and ios :DJI Pilot - Download Center - DJI

for reconstruction
WebODM Drone Software - OpenDroneMap™

Agisoft Metashape: Agisoft Metashape

2-2 11:26
Use props
iaw4
lvl.1

United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 2-2 11:26
Take a look at DJI GS pro and DJI Pilot. It's free, it works very well with the Mavic 2. For the rest, WebODM or invest in reconstruction software.

WebODM looks supercool and just what I would like to have.

sorry, as a beginner:

may I ask whether WebODM is a complement or substitute to DJI GS Pro?

for this mapping (with the mavic pro 2), is there a recommended way to fly over the terrain?  say, ideally at 20' altitude, a lat/lon grid that is 10' apart, with a speed of 5 knots?  and repeat east-west and north-south?

advice appreciated.
2-2 17:36
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

iaw4 Posted at 2-2 17:36
WebODM looks supercool and just what I would like to have.

sorry, as a beginner:

GSpro is the flight planner. Web ODM will help for map reconstruction.

Settings depends on the terrain and requirements.
Altitude is function of desired map resolution.
Overlap is function of the relief and obstacle. For a flat agricultural land 70/60 is ok to get detailed map. For a forest in steep area 90/80 is recommended.
2-2 22:39
Use props
iaw4
lvl.1

United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 2-2 22:39
GSpro is the flight planner. Web ODM will help for map reconstruction.

Settings depends on the terrain and requirements.

the DJI GSpro looked ideal.  it still can allow me to set an altitude and a region, and it programs a flightplan with good photograph intervals.

unfortunately, the flight plan does not seem to be exportable to the standard DJI pilot program, so it needs to be executed from DJI GSPro itself.

fatally, the app starts with a message that DJI no longer maintains it; and when we try to fly the mission itself, we are then informed about an unspecific error with request to call DJI support.  I presume that they stopped supporting it, so calling is probably useless.

so, how do I get a flight-plan for a 3D map, with a good grid overlap and snapshots at appropriate into my DJI now?

ACTUALLY, THIS IS NOW SO FAR OFF QUESTION TOPIC, I WILL INSTEAD POST IT BY ITSELF!

2-10 15:35
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

iaw4 Posted at 2-10 15:35
the DJI GSpro looked ideal.  it still can allow me to set an altitude and a region, and it programs a flightplan with good photograph intervals.

unfortunately, the flight plan does not seem to be exportable to the standard DJI pilot program, so it needs to be executed from DJI GSPro itself.

If you have the drone lastest firmware version, try to downgrade it.

Pilot for Android has its own flight planning feature, so you don't need to import anything from GSPro.
2-10 15:49
Use props
iaw4
lvl.1

United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 2-10 15:49
If you have the drone lastest firmware version, try to downgrade it.

Pilot for Android has its own flight planning feature, so you don't need to import anything from GSPro.

(macos, latest version is no longer compatible with the assistant, either.)

(pilot does not calculate where photos should be taken.  so, it would require writing a program to determine this, followed by *by hand* entering about 100 points.  not a viable option.)

2-10 18:30
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

iaw4 Posted at 2-10 18:30
(macos, latest version is no longer compatible with the assistant, either.)

(pilot does not calculate where photos should be taken.  so, it would require writing a program to determine this, followed by *by hand* entering about 100 points.  not a viable option.)

I just tried GSPro, everything is fine.
For Pilot it exists two versions.
2-10 23:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules