Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-10 12:18
This is a pretty frightening thought, but it needs to be noticed so I won't lull into the false feeling of security. I also have many of my video games on discs, should look into those as well.

If they are the type that are two layers of plastic with the film in the middle they tend to last longer,   but some go the early ones I have are very poor.      I even had some that if you flexed them when they were new the foil would flake off like glitter.     So really depends on the make you used,  they were certainly not all made equally.  
2-11 00:28
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-10 23:50
Who would have thought, when we moved from Betamax, VHS and cassette tapes, to CDs and DVDs, that they in turn would become obsolete

I do believe that the businessmen do their best to always plan for new media formats to replace the previous ones, so that they can sell practically the same thing all over again and again
2-11 04:46
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 2-11 00:26
We always have to try and have some hope Hannu. .  As they say,  "Never loose faith in the colour of the sky"

Indeed. And the darker the times, the more we need it.
2-11 05:01
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DAFlys Posted at 2-11 00:28
If they are the type that are two layers of plastic with the film in the middle they tend to last longer,   but some go the early ones I have are very poor.      I even had some that if you flexed them when they were new the foil would flake off like glitter.     So really depends on the make you used,  they were certainly not all made equally.

Indeed, so many different manufacturers, techniques and titles it is no wonder there are bound to be differences in lastability and quality between them.
2-11 05:02
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-11 04:46
I do believe that the businessmen do their best to always plan for new media formats to replace the previous ones, so that they can sell practically the same thing all over again and again

We call it Planned Obsolescence
2-11 09:12
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-11 09:12
We call it Planned Obsolescence

I am familiar with the term, and remember there is a even a specific document film made about it, that talked about how the lifespan of light bulbs was artificially shortened for the companies to make more profits.
2-11 13:01
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 2-10 12:25
I really thought BMW to be very flippant when they announced that in the future, seat warmers will be an additional expense, either with a monthly billing or big one-time fee - even when the technology itself is already in the car, it's just that they have soft-locked it behind a paywall. Unbelievably greedy!

No doubt that is a perfect example of corporate greed.  
2-11 13:36
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-11 13:36
No doubt that is a perfect example of corporate greed.

Absolutely, and I am afraid there will be a lot of similar examples in the future.
2-11 13:38
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 2-11 13:38
Absolutely, and I am afraid there will be a lot of similar examples in the future.

I'm thinking other companies and corporations will be following that lead.  
2-11 14:07
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-11 13:01
I am familiar with the term, and remember there is a even a specific document film made about it, that talked about how the lifespan of light bulbs was artificially shortened for the companies to make more profits.

Yes - one of the first examples.
Now we have a new thing that's been called "SHRINKFLATION"
That's where confectionery companies reduce the size of a chocolate bar, say, but keep the price the same.
I wonder if that has been DJIs Policy over the years with their ever-smaller drones
Just Kidding
2-12 00:07
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-11 14:07
I'm thinking other companies and corporations will be following that lead.

Many unfortunately have already adopted that method. For instance, as an active gamer, I find it shameful that many games now are filled with "micro"transactions to milk the cash cow. And with the very worrysome online-only trend, you don't even get to keep what you paid for when the game servers shut down. It is greedy, stupid and culture-historically destructive.
2-14 15:01
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-12 00:07
Yes - one of the first examples.
That's where confectionery companies reduce the size of a chocolate bar, say, but keep the price the same.

I am familiar with the term, there has been some discussion about it in our national broadcasting service's news and current affairs programs. Here, it has occurred with many goods in general, not only confectionary. There even was some discussion of legal action regarding where is the limit of acceptability in that.

As for DJI shrinking their drones and cameras, they actually make it as an advantage (which, truth to be told, does indeed have it's positives in real life as well.) Useful, but that can cost a lot in the long run for us, as it also works as an incentive to hike up the costs

And for me, the small form factor absolutely is desirable in some utilities. Recently got a small action camera (not DJI though, a GoPro Hero 4 Session) that sure is small. Very nice that it goes easily in the pocket and is waterproof without a case, but unfortunately the sound is unusable. I am not sure if my unit is defective or is the microphone system really that bad in all units of this model.
2-14 15:09
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2-12 00:07
Yes - one of the first examples.

You may well be onto something with shrinkflation and DJI drones.
2-14 15:31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 2-14 15:09
I am familiar with the term, there has been some discussion about it in our national broadcasting service's news and current affairs programs. Here, it has occurred with many goods in general, not only confectionary. There even was some discussion of legal action regarding where is the limit of acceptability in that.

As for DJI shrinking their drones and cameras, they actually make it as an advantage (which, truth to be told, does indeed have it's positives in real life as well.) Useful, but that can cost a lot in the long run for us, as it also works as an incentive to hike up the costs

I have no experience of GoPro equipment at all. but from what I've viewed and heard, if the sound on your unit is unsatisfactory, maybe it is defective?
2-14 21:09
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-14 15:31
You may well be onto something with shrinkflation and DJI drones.

And yet in that instance smaller has been better
2-14 21:12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2-14 21:12
And yet in that instance smaller has been better

I wish I could shrink my Air 3 to a Mini size.  The dual cameras are very handy.  Maybe the Mini 5 will have that set up.
2-15 03:06
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-15 03:06
I wish I could shrink my Air 3 to a Mini size.  The dual cameras are very handy.  Maybe the Mini 5 will have that set up.

We can only wait and see - until the rumour mill starts churning
2-15 03:08
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2-15 03:08
We can only wait and see - until the rumour mill starts churning

No doubt DJI is already deep into the development phase of the Mini 5.  Hopefully, they have had their creative juices flowing.
2-15 03:24
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 2-14 21:09
I have no experience of GoPro equipment at all. but from what I've viewed and heard, if the sound on your unit is unsatisfactory, maybe it is defective?

It could be. Not much I can do about it though, as I bought it second-hand, and it is an older device.
2-15 12:43
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5231283 ft
  • >>>
United States

A sliver of sunlight.
2-15 19:25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Or a tease as I like to call it.  
2-15 22:27
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-15 22:27
Or a tease as I like to call it.

Yes, better than no light and an ugly pic. That seems to be what I've been getting lately.
2-16 04:32
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BetterBizTech Posted at 2-16 04:32
Yes, better than no light and an ugly pic. That seems to be what I've been getting lately.

Well hopefully you can get some more snow,   all the cold weather here has fallen off the forecast for now and were just left with mixed conditions and a possible flood alert if it can be believed.
2-16 04:44
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-16 04:44
Well hopefully you can get some more snow,   all the cold weather here has fallen off the forecast for now and were just left with mixed conditions and a possible flood alert if it can be believed.

Good luck not great weather here this weekend.
2-16 05:16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BetterBizTech Posted at 2-16 05:16
Good luck not great weather here this weekend.

thanks,  same to you Charles.  
2-16 05:31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Playing hide and seek
2-27 23:34
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

And finally I arrived at the 'current month'
Yiehaaa.
Lucky me, this year February has one more day, so I might even catch up 2 more days before the month is over
2-27 23:45
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2-27 23:45
And finally I arrived at the 'current month'
Yiehaaa.
Lucky me, this year February has one more day, so I might even catch up 2 more days before the month is over

Lol.   finally you're vaguely up to date.
2-28 01:28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 2-28 01:28
Lol.   finally you're vaguely up to date.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.
Feels good (as long as it lasts)
2-28 01:29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules