Please provide an option to disable low battery RTH
325 6 2-3 22:43
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
demonstrate
lvl.2
United States

Please provide an option to disable low battery RTH. This is a FPV drone, not an air 3 or Mavic 3.

I know it's a safety feature, while if it can add safety, right? Based on my experience, it's not adding the safety people want. Just give an example, for RTH to work, one has to set up an altitude, minimum is 20m. So if my avata is flying in a narrow tunnel, what altitude should we choose? 1m? Is there even such an option? Let alone if I am flying the drone in such a tight space, perhaps my attention is not on the text notice (press some button to cancel it). My visual attention is completely on the surroundings. If I missed the message, the drone will stop and goes up like a dummy and hit the ceiling immediately. And this is just because of low battery? For safety? It incurs more risks! Because it does not allow me to disable it in the first place! This has happened multiple times and I hate to say, the most broken feature for a FPV drone must be this. Just like the notorious Boeing 737 Max's MCAS.

And TBH, most of the places I fly my avata for practice are reachable in walking distance and even if it dies somewhere, it just takes a few mins to pick it up. There is absolute no reason I need the drone to come back by first going up. I'd rather have a reminder for the user to check RTH status (like the tf card check in the beginning) if one decides to turn this off for a place they know RTH is useless. low battery warning is sufficient.

Can we have more options like: disable RTH but have audible alert + visual reminder (flashing battery status will be good enough)? A drone pilot has much better idea what is safety they want.

Thinking about what has been emphasized again and again in the air disasters series: automation designed for aircraft pilots are not trying to solve everything, they are just utilities to help pilots. Pilots should make the decision.
2-3 22:43
Use props
demonstrate
lvl.2
United States

related thread: https://forum.dji.com/thread-276360-1-1.html
2-3 22:44
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi. demonstrate. We appreciate your feedback. This will be forwarded to the development team for evaluation. Any news or updates will be announced on the DJI official website. Thank you for your valued support.
2-4 01:38
Use props
demonstrate
lvl.2
United States

Hi Tony, I wish you could have a more transparent procedure when dealing with the client's feature requests. Having your internal PMs or devs reponses are much more valuable than "forwarding to development team". Many of these things are very easy to fix yet I don't see any progress even after years. We don't know how your ranking of incoming requests works and we barely see any investigation or discussion ever held. DJI is a large company. Can't it afford to have some place like github issue where devs can have direct interaction with clients?
2-4 18:22
Use props
djiuser_Z8YnMpAdGMew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 689039 ft
United States

hit the pause button. The drone will start trying to land at 9% battery so be aware of that as well.
3-4 19:11
Use props
demonstrate
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_Z8YnMpAdGMew Posted at 3-4 19:11
hit the pause button. The drone will start trying to land at 9% battery so be aware of that as well.

I know one needs to press the pause button if I noticed that short text message. But that message can be easily forgotten if I am busy flying in a tight space. It's much simpler to disable such nuance. I already know it's easy to pick up the drone if it runs out of battery before I fly it. I am just asking for an option. It gives the right people the right choice. Why is it difficult for people to understand others' painpoint?
3-4 19:40
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

demonstrate Posted at 3-4 19:40
I know one needs to press the pause button if I noticed that short text message. But that message can be easily forgotten if I am busy flying in a tight space. It's much simpler to disable such nuance. I already know it's easy to pick up the drone if it runs out of battery before I fly it. I am just asking for an option. It gives the right people the right choice. Why is it difficult for people to understand others' painpoint?

I understand your pain point.  Yesterday while flying pretty aggressively, the battery drained quicker than normal and i was focus on the flying.  All of a sudden the drone came to an instant stop and started beeping.  It took me one second to realize I was flying Avata and not FPV so the drone doesn't slow down for obstacles and you can't just push thru.  It took another second to realize my drone was starting to ascend and the low battery was on.  And then it took one more second for me to find the pause button.  I was under a big tree so I maybe had 3 more seconds to crash.  I would prefer the low battery RTH freeze the drone for 5 seconds before it ascends.  However, I cannot support a function to disable the low battery RTH.
3-5 10:56
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules