Min4Pro and Mini3Pro RID
506 13 2-4 10:46
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_77lBfqHf6cSD
lvl.2

United States

I'm very upset with DJI requiring us to purchase the Battery Plus in order to generate RID.

I have my Part107 certificate here in the US and am incompliance with rules and regs.

I have a Mini3Pro and a Mini4Pro, both of which were marketed as including RID and have been certified in compliance with FAA RID.

Now I understnad that RID is disabled in the new firmware unless the Battery Plus is used.  I have 8 intelligent flight batteries that would now no longer activate RID.
This would put me out of compliance with FAA regulations for Part107 activities.

I'm not in the market for more batteries and I am not going to purchase a RID unit.

I have been planning to purchase the next generation Mavic Pro and Avata aircraft when they are released with 04 transmissing and the next generation RC Pro controller.
How can I trust DJI if you make changes to core functions after purchase to sell accessories?

RETRACT THIS UNWARRANTED CHANGE.
2-4 10:46
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Initially, the DJI Mini 3 & Mini 4 Pro came standard with Remote ID despite only being required for drones weighing more than 0.55 lbs. However, many recreational users who have not registered or are not required to register felt that having a Remote ID was not necessary for them. The recent firmware change was released to provide more flexibility, allowing unregistered recreational users to fly legally without activating Remote ID when they use the standard Intelligent Flight Battery. Commercial users can still legally operate their drones by using the Intelligent Flight Battery Plus, which automatically activates the Remote ID. We appreciate your support and understanding as we continue to navigate the evolving landscape of drone regulations. Hoping for your understanding and continued support.
2-5 03:07
Use props
djiuser_77lBfqHf6cSD
lvl.2

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-4 17:50
The change is warranted & was made because A) many users complained about RID being unnecessarily broadcast for a sub-250 gram drone & B), because when used as intended with the standard battery RID is not required.

The regulations prohibit DJI from making RID user-selectable.  What you are requesting is that DJI flip the bird to all the users who requested this change in favor of a handful who want RID.  If you are truly using the drone for 107 work then you are making money.  In this case you'll have to splurge for Plus batteries.  

If DJI can activate RID based on the battery in use, they can add an "Enable RID or Disable RID" feature when using  the standard battery.  The "on/off" option can be programmed based on the battery type  giving the option to pilots using the smaller batteries.   
2-5 08:36
Use props
djiuser_77lBfqHf6cSD
lvl.2

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-5 03:07
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Initially, the DJI Mini 3 & Mini 4 Pro came standard with Remote ID despite only being required for drones weighing more than 0.55 lbs. However, many recreational users who have not registered or are not required to register felt that having a Remote ID was not necessary for them. The recent firmware change was released to provide more flexibility, allowing unregistered recreational users to fly legally without activating Remote ID when they use the standard Intelligent Flight Battery. Commercial users can still legally operate their drones by using the Intelligent Flight Battery Plus, which automatically activates the Remote ID. We appreciate your support and understanding as we continue to navigate the evolving landscape of drone regulations. Hoping for your understanding and continued support.

If DJI can activate RID based on the battery in use, they can add an "Enable RID or Disable RID" feature when using  the standard battery.  The "on/off" option can be programmed based on the battery type  giving the option to pilots using the smaller batteries.  So a drone promoted and classified as RID compliant is only so by having to buy a soecific battery.  If DJI can do this type of change after a product is released (which looks like a marketing bias adding cost to professionals)  how can we trust similar changes won't happen in the future.Further if such programming set the default for RID to OFF, Part 107 compliant pilots could simply turn it on.  Not a problematic option for the under 250gms aircraft.  I have 8 standard batteries, registerd my two drones with FAA and now no RID.
I have been impressed with DJIs support and service.  I understand the pressure to change the RID for some, my contention is with how it is implemented.
2-5 08:37
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

djiuser_77lBfqHf6cSD Posted at 2-5 08:37
If DJI can activate RID based on the battery in use, they can add an "Enable RID or Disable RID" feature when using  the standard battery.  The "on/off" option can be programmed based on the battery type  giving the option to pilots using the smaller batteries.

Completely against the RID regulations.
2-5 08:39
Use props
djiuser_77lBfqHf6cSD
lvl.2

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-5 08:39
Completely against the RID regulations.

I've reviewed the regulation and I think you may be referring to Section 89.310 subsection D:
§ 89.310 Minimum performance requirements for standard remote identification unmanned aircraft.

(d) Tamper resistance.  The unmanned aircraft must be designed and produced in a way that reduces the ability of a person to tamper with the remote identification functionality.

Unfortunately the logic doesn't hold.  The optional addition to add RID when not required could hardly be considered "tampering."  Since RID can not be changed with the heavier battery, the complete and automated compliance is intact.
2-5 09:01
Use props
djiuser_77lBfqHf6cSD
lvl.2

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-4 17:50
The change is warranted & was made because A) many users complained about RID being unnecessarily broadcast for a sub-250 gram drone & B), because when used as intended with the standard battery RID is not required.

The regulations prohibit DJI from making RID user-selectable.  What you are requesting is that DJI flip the bird to all the users who requested this change in favor of a handful who want RID.  If you are truly using the drone for 107 work then you are making money.  In this case you'll have to splurge for Plus batteries.  

Where would user slectability be prohibited under conditions where RID is not required?  If the default is off  with the standard battery then adding an option to turn it on could only be seen as an enhancemnt, would satisfy all involved and would be a positive in the eyes of the FAA Administrator.
I've reviewed the regulation and I think you may be referring to Section 89.310 subsection D:
§ 89.310 Minimum performance requirements for standard remote identification unmanned aircraft.

(d) Tamper resistance.  The unmanned aircraft must be designed and produced in a way that reduces the ability of a person to tamper with the remote identification functionality.

Unfortunately the logic doesn't hold.  The optional addition to add RID when not required could hardly be considered "tampering."  Since RID can not be changed with the heavier battery, the complete and automated compliance is intact.
2-5 09:06
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_77lBfqHf6cSD Posted at 2-5 08:37
If DJI can activate RID based on the battery in use, they can add an "Enable RID or Disable RID" feature when using  the standard battery.  The "on/off" option can be programmed based on the battery type  giving the option to pilots using the smaller batteries.  So a drone promoted and classified as RID compliant is only so by having to buy a soecific battery.  If DJI can do this type of change after a product is released (which looks like a marketing bias adding cost to professionals)  how can we trust similar changes won't happen in the future.Further if such programming set the default for RID to OFF, Part 107 compliant pilots could simply turn it on.  Not a problematic option for the under 250gms aircraft.  I have 8 standard batteries, registerd my two drones with FAA and now no RID.
I have been impressed with DJIs support and service.  I understand the pressure to change the RID for some, my contention is with how it is implemented.

Hi there. We appreciate your feedback. We would love to record this suggestion of yours and forward it to our relevant team for attention. We recommend you to subscribe to our official website for the latest news and updates. Have a good one.
2-7 23:18
Use props
OneSnark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 652231 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-7 23:18
Hi there. We appreciate your feedback. We would love to record this suggestion of yours and forward it to our relevant team for attention. We recommend you to subscribe to our official website for the latest news and updates. Have a good one.

Voicing a dissenting opinion:

I really, really welcome the change whereas the Mini4 does not broadcast RID with a "standard battery".

When I bought the mini4, I understood the RID was *always* broadcast. With that in mind, I bought the *plus* batteries.   Now that the firmware has changed such that RID will toggle based upon batteries, I have gone ahead and purchased *standard* batteries.

I like the current state of affairs. (i.e. standard batteries = no remote ID; plus batteries = remote ID)

Of course; having an *option* even in the software would be better.
2-8 20:10
Use props
Jan Spacil
lvl.4

Czechia

I would also like to see RID broadcasting added as an option in the settings. I have the opposite problem, I would like to have the option to have RID on when flying in the EU. This, if I understand correctly, is not possible even if using the extended battery (while in the US RID is automatically turned on in this case).

My M4P is declassed and if I am going to fly under class C1 rules, it seems completely pointless to me to buy an external RID device when this feature is already available in the drone.
2-8 22:44
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

OneSnark Posted at 2-8 20:10

I really, really welcome the change whereas the Mini4 does not broadcast RID with a "standard battery".

Thank you for your feedback, OneSnark. Rest assured that this concern will be recorded and will be forwarded to the respective team for future consideration. Should you have other technical inquiries about your unit, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day ahead.
2-10 22:37
Use props
pteron
lvl.2
Belgium

We need the option to turn on RID in Belgium - it is a requirement even for sub 250g drones to broadcast RID in the VLL2 zones

From the Belgian air traffic web site for flying in a VLL2 zone:  https://apps.geocortex.com/webviewer/?app=1062438763fd493699b4857b9872c6c4&locale=en
"Using a direct remote identification system is mandatory, but for UAS operations performed in the "open" category with a UAS with a maximum take-off mass of less than 900g or in the "specific" category, it will be mandatory only as from 1/1/2024, except if the usage of a direct remote identification system is required in accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2019/947."

These zones are clearly marked on the Belgian web site and appear as "warning" zones (yellow) in the DJI app. The app could automatically turn on RID in the zones, thereby ensuring the "no tampering" rule is obeyed.

2-11 00:35
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1859232 ft
  • >>>
United States

OneSnark Posted at 2-8 20:10

According to Pilot Institute, flying with the plus batteries in the U.S. means the drone must be registered.  If it is registered, it must broadcast RID.  So flying a registered Mini 4 Pro with the standard battery requires an external RID module.  I did exactly what you did and now I have a standard battery I cannot use.  

Maybe an optional firmware for the standard battery through DJI Assistant only that would cause RID to be broadcast is a possible solution?
2-11 05:48
Use props
Manitobahunter
lvl.4
Canada

Yes, there could literally be an 'ON', or "AUTO" switch in settings where its on all the time, or automatically selects the minimum legal requirement based on the battery and location. That shouldn't be hard to impliment. Living in Canada, it's not required to be on at all, and while I would prefer if it wasn't even a thing in the first place, I can't say I'd loose any sleep if it was on so long as it has no effect on the drones signal performance. Ocusync 4 has certainly kicked things up a notch in my Mini 4 in terms of signal performance to the point where I hardly look at the signal meter unless it turns red, whereas with my Mini 3 I payed a lot of attention to it.
2-11 06:39
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules