Timelapse focus issue/problem
552 26 2-5 12:46
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

Even after upgrading to the latest firmware for the Osmo Pocket 3, all timelapse videos are completely out of focus. The moment the timelapse video button is touched, the image jumps out of focus. Is there some fix for this? Some setting that I should be using? I've tried single and continuous focus, nothing helps.
2-5 12:46
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1859232 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you share an example?  What settings are you using?  What are you trying to film?  I have made several timelapse, motionlapse, and hyperlapse without any focus issues...  Mostly of sunsets and driving in my car.
2-5 14:11
Use props
snoopx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I did a motionlapse too recently that came out softer than I would have liked. Will have to investigate further.
2-5 15:04
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ive not noticed this,  what settings are you using?
2-6 00:45
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, may I ask if only timelapse videos have this issue? Could you please check if the issue also exists on normal video recordings? Please also provide us with a sample video for further confirmation.
2-6 03:29
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

I've made a short video of the issue in practice. You can see that video here:

I've also added two stills from that video showing the subject in focus before timelapse waypoints are chosen, and out of focus after timelapse waypoints are chosen.
2-6 13:15
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

smbishop Posted at 2-5 14:11
Can you share an example?  What settings are you using?  What are you trying to film?  I have made several timelapse, motionlapse, and hyperlapse without any focus issues...  Mostly of sunsets and driving in my car.

I've posted an example of the focus issues I mentioned with the Osmo Pocket 3 in timelapse mode.
2-7 08:43
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2-6 03:29
Hi there, may I ask if only timelapse videos have this issue? Could you please check if the issue also exists on normal video recordings? Please also provide us with a sample video for further confirmation.

Thanks for your interest, Mindy. I've posted an example of the focus issues I mentioned with the Osmo Pocket 3 in timelapse mode. See below
2-7 08:44
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-6 00:45

Thanks for your interest, DAFlys.  I've posted an example of the focus issues I mentioned with the Osmo Pocket 3 in timelapse mode. See below
2-7 08:44
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

snoopx Posted at 2-5 15:04
I did a timelpase too recently that came out softer than I would have liked. Will have to investigate further.

Hello Snoopx, Thanks for your interest. I've posted an example of the focus issues I mentioned with the Osmo Pocket 3 in timelapse mode. See below
2-7 08:45
Use props
Arki
lvl.2
Poland

That's exactly right. You can't do a sharp motionlaps. I hope they fix it soon.
2-7 09:36
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 2-6 00:45

DAFlys I saw a nice motionlapse that you posted, and it didn't look as if your OP3 had the same focus issues that mine has. Could I ask a huge favor of you to try making a motionlapse of a close subject with your OP3?  I'd love to know if you're seeing the immediate jump to out-of-focus as soon as the motionlapse "record" button is pushed.
2-7 10:44
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1859232 ft
  • >>>
United States

I played around with the settings in Timelapse mode and found:
1.  The focus settings are not available to change between fixed and continuous in timelapse mode.
2.  For a fixed timelapse, you can choose a single point of focus by touching the screen (in the mimo app).
3.  For a motionlapse, you cannot choose a single point of focus by touching the screen.

So, it has worked great for a sunset timelapse/motionlapse, however for a close-up motionlapse, you do not have the ability to manage focus.
2-7 12:37
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

smbishop Posted at 2-7 12:37
I played around with the settings in Timelapse mode and found:
1.  The focus settings are not available to change between fixed and continuous in timelapse mode.
2.  For a fixed timelapse, you can choose a single point of focus by touching the screen (in the mimo app).

Thanks for investigating, smbishop. For me, it's very hard to say exactly where the focus is during motionlapse. Nothing seems very sharp, especially comparing it to the sharpness achieved when you choose a focus point with a screen tap. I can't really understand why you can change focus points with a regular timelapse, (I've tried it, and it works, even while changing the angle by using the Mimo app's gimbal control) but focus is lost if you set way points and start the motionlapse function.
2-7 15:07
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Daemon B Posted at 2-7 10:44
DAFlys I saw a nice motionlapse that you posted, and it didn't look as if your OP3 had the same focus issues that mine has. Could I ask a huge favor of you to try making a motionlapse of a close subject with your OP3?  I'd love to know if you're seeing the immediate jump to out-of-focus as soon as the motionlapse "record" button is pushed.

How close of a subject are you thinking?
2-7 22:20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Daemon B Posted at 2-7 10:44

In timelapse mode I can touch to focus on a near object about 10" away and have no issues,  as soon as I switch to motion lapse the focus is lost and even zooms in a little.   Im guess in motionlapse mode its changing focus near to infinity.
2-7 22:38
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Daemon B Posted at 2-7 08:44
Thanks for your interest, Mindy. I've posted an example of the focus issues I mentioned with the Osmo Pocket 3 in timelapse mode. See below

Thanks for the video, I will forward it to the corresponding team for further confirmation.
2-8 01:42
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Daemon B Posted at 2-6 13:15
I've made a short video of the issue in practice. You can see that video here: https://youtu.be/Z-dkXPh1As0[view_image][view_image]

I've also added two stills from that video showing the subject in focus before timelapse waypoints are chosen, and out of focus after timelapse waypoints are chosen.

Hello, we have confirmed with our engineers that the firmware has not modified the focus logic. By default, Motionlapse cannot focus on the farthest and nearest objects, Timelapse will not change focus after recording, and Hyperlapse will focus dynamically.
2-8 02:01
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2-8 02:01
Hello, we have confirmed with our engineers that the firmware has not modified the focus logic. By default, Motionlapse cannot focus on the farthest and nearest objects, Timelapse will not change focus after recording, and Hyperlapse will focus dynamically.
Thanks for looking into this, DJI Mindy. My tests already show that focus isn’t dynamic, but you’re saying that is by design. Why? The result is that any motion lapse of a subject 3-6 meters from the lens will look sloppy and blurry. Why not use a centered focus area and have the camera use dynamic focusing during motion lapse? Otherwise it looks as if the motion lapse is made on a cheap, disposable type camera. Everything else about the Osmo Pocket 3 shows great quality in a very useful tool, but not its motion lapse function.
2-8 04:01
Use props
Daemon B
lvl.2
United States

Hello, we have confirmed with our engineers that the firmware has not modified the focus logic. By default, Motionlapse cannot focus on the farthest and nearest objects, Timelapse will not change focus after recording, and Hyperlapse will focus dynamically.

Hello again, DJI Mindy. In my last reply to you I asked why focus wasn't dynamic for timelapse. Could it be that this is the same method for timelapse that was used for the Osmo Pocket 2 and just hasn't been re-calibrated to match the higher resolution of the Osmo Pocket 3?
2-8 06:59
Use props
snoopx
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Midy wrote:
"Motionlapse cannot focus on the farthest and nearest objects"
My motionlapses tend to have the point of interest at infinity ie buildings in the background. Maybe that's why the one I tried recently came out soft.

2-8 08:43
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Daemon B Posted at 2-8 06:59
Hello again, DJI Mindy. In my last reply to you I asked why focus wasn't dynamic for timelapse. Could it be that this is the same method for timelapse that was used for the Osmo Pocket 2 and just hasn't been re-calibrated to match the higher resolution of the Osmo Pocket 3?

Sorry for the late reply. For Motionlapse, you cannot focus in Motionlapse mode as it is set to infinity focus as default (it cannot focus on near objects). But we will forward your feedback to the corresponding team. Thanks for your understanding.
2-18 23:23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I hope they will get this fixed. Being able to focus for motionlapses makes the P3 much more interesting and versatile.
Or even having the focus fixed on something you set before starting the motionlapse.
3-3 23:21
Use props
MateoSchields
New

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2-18 23:23
Sorry for the late reply. For Motionlapse, you cannot focus in Motionlapse mode as it is set to infinity focus as default (it cannot focus on near objects). But we will forward your feedback to the corresponding team. Thanks for your understanding.

DJI Mindy, will it be possible to adjust focus settings for Motionlapse in an upcoming update?

Im having the same problem when shooting my furniture builds. Need to be able to do close up shots in this mode.
3-19 14:03
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 290689 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hello, we have confirmed with our engineers that the firmware has not modified the focus logic. By default, Motionlapse cannot focus on the farthest and nearest objects, Timelapse will not change focus after recording, and Hyperlapse will focus dynamically.

That, among other things, is the reason why many people here demand manual focus!!!
3-20 00:47
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

MateoSchields Posted at 3-19 14:03
DJI Mindy, will it be possible to adjust focus settings for Motionlapse in an upcoming update?

Im having the same problem when shooting my furniture builds. Need to be able to do close up shots in this mode.

Hi there, we have not got any information about it at present. But we will keep forwarding this request to the corresponding team for evaluation.
3-21 01:49
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Karl53 Posted at 3-20 00:47
That, among other things, is the reason why many people here demand manual focus!!!

Hi there, we understand your concerns and needs very well. We've forwarded this request to the corresponding team for evaluation. Thanks for your understanding.
3-21 01:51
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules