Subject tracking up / down hill
205 4 2-7 06:57
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MartinKirk
lvl.1

Denmark

Hi

I'm a bit new in regards to drones and am looking at buying the Air 3.

I've seen videos on youtube that shows that this drone has problems tracking a subject that goes up or down hill , eg: tracking a skier down hill or a car driving up hill.

It seems like the tracking only moves in the X and Z plane but doesnt move the drone in the Y plane unless it needs to avoid obstacles.

Are there any modes or planned updates to tracking that makes it capable of tracking a subject up or down hill ?

I'd like to use the drone for tracking people on ski slopes
alternatively a camera operator would need to fly around filming the skier.

Also: One issue i've noticed is that when a skier makes slalom, the tracking becomes very jerky from side to side. So i guess the drone needs a dedicated mode just for subjects that move randomly from side to side ?

Thanks

2-7 06:57
Use props
Wyldwestaz10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1099068 ft
United States

I’ve seen others use the Active track when skiing but it was not designed for something like this. Any quick changes from side to side especially if moving fast will be harder time to keep locked on. It’s no different than when riding my motorcycle and accelerating to quickly or turning way to fast. The smaller an object like my motorcycle or a person the harder it is to stay locked on. Larger targets like a car or bigger can be tracked easier because of the size. I've never had an issue going up or down in elevation while it was following my motorcycle and it stays relative to ground. I ride on Forest Roads which go up and down over rolling hills and up in elevation about 500' over a 3mile or so distance from the ATL. It's really all about how quickly you move whether forward or side to side as it just can't track that fast. It doesn't matter which drone as well. At least that’s my experience using my MA2 for over three years and now my Air 3 which has even better tracking. Good luck and enjoy.
2-7 11:30
Use props
MartinKirk
lvl.1

Denmark

Wyldwestaz10 Posted at 2-7 11:30
I’ve seen others use the Active track when skiing but it was not designed for something like this. Any quick changes from side to side especially if moving fast will be harder time to keep locked on. It’s no different than when riding my motorcycle and accelerating to quickly or turning way to fast. The smaller an object like my motorcycle or a person the harder it is to stay locked on. Larger targets like a car or bigger can be tracked easier because of the size. I've never had an issue going up or down in elevation while it was following my motorcycle and it stays relative to ground. I ride on Forest Roads which go up and down over rolling hills and up in elevation about 500' over a 3mile or so distance from the ATL. It's really all about how quickly you move whether forward or side to side as it just can't track that fast. It doesn't matter which drone as well. At least that’s my experience using my MA2 for over three years and now my Air 3 which has even better tracking. Good luck and enjoy.

yeah , after some more investigation i found that people are actually skiing with active track. I looks like there needs to be some smoothing of the movement before its usable and it seems that the drone loose the subject rather often :-/

Maybe i should just get the drone and gain some experience

Thanks
2-7 12:00
Use props
Wyldwestaz10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1099068 ft
United States

Yeah, nothing is perfect in this world but I can tell you the Air 3 Active track 5.0 is the best version so far so all you can do is try. My MA2 has 3.0 and works well but the Air 3 is noticeably better and stays locked on following me better. I believe it is the best drone for the money and even far better than my MA2 is and it has been a workhorse and has a lot of flight time. Enjoy.
2-7 12:29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI Air 3 aircraft supports the terrain follow function, but it only supports following above terrains with a small tilt angle. Additionally, it will rise and fall automatically following the terrain error _x000D_. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day ahead.
2-7 21:57
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules