Mavic 3 Classic frame rates with Integra goggles limited
252 7 2-8 19:31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7c7cea11
lvl.1
Flight distance : 292093 ft
United States

I'm really enjoying flying the Mavic 3 with the Integra goggles but it only allows shooting videos at 60 fps. Is this going to be a permanent limitation or will future firmware updates add the additional framerates the Mavic 3 is capable of shooting? Not having the slower frame rates significantly limits the ability to use video coming out of the drone with other videos shot at, say, 24 or 25 fps.
2-8 19:31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Integra goggles with the Mavic 3 Classic only support 4K 60fps/1080P 60fps in video. DJI has not yet announced any plans about adding slower framerates.  The Integra/Goggles 2 and the RC Motion 2 feature an immersive flight experience. If you want to enjoy other photography experiences in intelligent flight modes, we recommend that you use DJI RC Pro, DJI RC, or DJI RC-N1. Rest assured we will consider your feedback as a recommendation and forward it to the relevant team for evaluation. We appreciate your valued support.
2-8 20:25
Use props
wjaxon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 292093 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2-8 20:25
Hi there. Integra goggles with the Mavic 3 Classic only support 4K 60fps/1080P 60fps in video. DJI has not yet announced any plans about adding slower framerates.  The Integra/Goggles 2 and the RC Motion 2 feature an immersive flight experience. If you want to enjoy other photography experiences in intelligent flight modes, we recommend that you use DJI RC Pro, DJI RC, or DJI RC-N1. Rest assured we will consider your feedback as a recommendation and forward it to the relevant team for evaluation. We appreciate your valued support.

Thank you for your quick reply. The Mavic 3 is an excellent camera-based drone for videography. I used mine recently  (without the goggles) to shoot B-roll for a feature film that was just released. Limiting the Mavic 3 to just 60 fps when using the Integra goggles drastically limits its usability for professional purposes -- which will limit its sales. I strongly urge DJI to add additional frame rates (24, 25, 30 fps) to ensure it has the widest functionality possible. If it is not possible to make multiple frame rates available, then at least make the one frame rate a more commonly used one such 24 fps so it can easily be used with A-roll video.
2-9 08:36
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

wjaxon@gmail.com Posted at 2-9 08:36
Thank you for your quick reply. The Mavic 3 is an excellent camera-based drone for videography. I used mine recently  (without the goggles) to shoot B-roll for a feature film that was just released. Limiting the Mavic 3 to just 60 fps when using the Integra goggles drastically limits its usability for professional purposes -- which will limit its sales. I strongly urge DJI to add additional frame rates (24, 25, 30 fps) to ensure it has the widest functionality possible. If it is not possible to make multiple frame rates available, then at least make the one frame rate a more commonly used one such 24 fps so it can easily be used with A-roll video.

I understand the importance of this request to you. We are more than glad to submit all your feedback to the development to help us improve and optimize our product. Have a great day ahead.
2-10 03:25
Use props
djiuser_8UCXloaiIgyN
New
Flight distance : 296844 ft
Canada

I, too, was surprised to find that the goggles restricted me to 60fps. I confess I don't understand why 23.98 is possible with the handheld controllers but not with the goggles, given that seemingly all the work is being done on the drone itself. Is it an issue with sending different frame rates to the goggles and the recording media? (Seems unlikely, as the handheld controllers are able to receive a higher frame rate.)

As with the users above, this renders the goggles useless to me for professional work. I really hope that DJI will make a priority of this. We need the same frame rates and shutter speeds as are available when using the hand controller.
4-4 08:06
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because it would be hard, maybe even impossible, to have one sensor using 2 different frame rates. VR goggles need 60+ fps or it will be a choppy and nauseating feeling. You can't have one camera live streaming in 60 fps and recording in 24 fps at the same time. Simple as that.
4-4 09:57
Use props
djiuser_8UCXloaiIgyN
New
Flight distance : 296844 ft
Canada

24fps is the frame rate that all movies were shown at for decades, and we still use it today for most cinematic work. Why is it "choppy" in goggles? I understand that you might get some motion blur at high speeds, but there is nothing that causes nausea in 24 that wouldn't do the same in 60.

At least if we could drop it to 30fps we might be able to conform it down.

And are you saying that when we change the frame rate on a handheld remote to 24fps, that screen is changing is changing to 24?

4-4 18:21
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_8UCXloaiIgyN Posted at 4-4 18:21
24fps is the frame rate that all movies were shown at for decades, and we still use it today for most cinematic work. Why is it "choppy" in goggles? I understand that you might get some motion blur at high speeds, but there is nothing that causes nausea in 24 that wouldn't do the same in 60.

At least if we could drop it to 30fps we might be able to conform it down.

Yes I understand 24 fps is the cinematic standard and with a 1/48ish shutter speed it gives a natural looking motion blur. A movie theater screen isn't a few inches from your eyes though. You lose the immersive sensation when you drop to 30 or 24 fps. There isn't a single DJI Enterprise drone that supports using goggles. Why do you think that is? My theory is because the Ocusync 3 Enterprise protocol only goes up to 30 fps for some odd reason. Search and rescue teams have been begging DJI for the M3T to support goggles but they never have.

Yes, when you drop the frame rate to record in 24 fps you're also dropping the live stream on your phone/RC to that same frame rate. I can prove this too. On your phone do a screen recording while using 24 fps. Bring that screen recording into Premiere or DaVinci and you'll be amazed at how many duplicate frames you'll find. There would be no issue with converting 60 fps to 30 fps. You can just remove every other frame and it would result in the same thing as 30 fps. Going to 24 fps though is where you'll have issues. It can be done, but not smoothly.  
4-4 20:28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules