Why I3 is not C2 drone?
399 7 2-8 15:41
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
COPTERFILM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 725 ft
Czechia

Can someone from DJI give me really good answer, why the hell the I3 is not C2 EASA class drone? When the weight is just under 4Kg, it has remote ID?? Or are you planing to make the Inspire 3 drone to be C2 in the future? Because otherwise if not… its very useless drone in Europe and it makes our professional life much harder to work with this….
Or is there a way how to make it C2 please?!
2-8 15:41
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We will coordinate this concern with the respective team for further clarification. We will keep you posted.
2-8 19:01
Use props
Mike9129
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

Im also annoyed that its not a C2 drone when it falls under the weight requirements.
2-9 01:22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

C2 drones need a MTOM of < 4kg,  the Inspire 3 MTOM is 4.3kg.
2-9 02:15
Use props
COPTERFILM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 725 ft
Czechia

DAFlys Posted at 2-9 02:15
C2 drones need a MTOM of < 4kg,  the Inspire 3 MTOM is 4.3kg.

Well... what if i will put 500g weight on this drone?! It will also fly?? This is complete nonsense... i dont understand why the MTOM from DJI is stated over 4KG??? The real weight is under 4Kg (3995g, it is stated in the manual)  = it can be certified as C2 drone? Why the hell the DJI is not making it C2??

This is completely making this drone useless ....and also somebody in the EASA just sad, it will be 4Kg max?! Why the hell some 200g on the paper/not in real.... making such a big difference?!?!?! These drones are super safe, they have state of the art equipment inside, it will not fall of the sky sudenly, ... we just want to use them for creating something, for filming something on closed film sets, but because these stupid nonsense numbers on papre, we cant?!?!?!?!?! ....welcome in 21st century in world where everybody is smart!!!
2-9 05:13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

COPTERFILM Posted at 2-9 05:13
Well... what if i will put 500g weight on this drone?! It will also fly?? This is complete nonsense... i dont understand why the MTOM from DJI is stated over 4KG??? The real weight is under 4Kg (3995g, it is stated in the manual)  = it can be certified as C2 drone? Why the hell the DJI is not making it C2??

This is completely making this drone useless ....and also somebody in the EASA just sad, it will be 4Kg max?! Why the hell some 200g on the paper/not in real.... making such a big difference?!?!?! These drones are super safe, they have state of the art equipment inside, it will not fall of the sky sudenly, ... we just want to use them for creating something, for filming something on closed film sets, but because these stupid nonsense numbers on papre, we cant?!?!?!?!?! ....welcome in 21st century in world where everybody is smart!!!

Usually the MTOM on the inspires relates to the heaviest accessory they sell for it.    On the Inspire 2 they increased the MTOM a few times during its life.  
2-10 02:10
Use props
826 Raw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412608 ft
United Kingdom

I find this a little annoying also.
2-12 13:13
Use props
Coyut
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

MTOW was set above 4kg because of stuff like the prop guards.
DJI should offer a C2 certification and exclude anything not needed. In most cases pro guard are used indoors where there are no air space rules active anyway. So why add them to the MTOW?
In worst case make lighter batteries and reduce flight time. That would still be better than a C3 rating which we are working on  a SORA since over a year.
Also plan a saftey span for stuff. ND filters, FLARM, OGS, ADS-L trackers, additional position lights etc.  Hardware like this will be or must be added on most jobs to be legal. (Leaving aside that any additional payload is required to be certified with the drone to be legal). So best would be to certify anything tha needs to there to reach a C2. Or at least a C5 / C6  

C2 also consists on the kinetic energy. In this case, even with a MTOW sub 4kg, it still could fly to fast, exceeding 34 kJ max allowed impact force.
So we also need a firmware that offers optionally a reduced speed mode to get it certified in C2.
And while we are at it, a certified parachute and dji designed FTS system would also help greatly. Saftey wise it would also be a much better way to do, than use 3rd party hardware to do that job so we can reduce our workload on our SORA to make the I3 usable in Europe.

Another, and possible best option, would be that dji produces a sample SORA request that has been 100% aproved and will be accepted by local authorities to request a personal SORA.
DJI has the knowledge, money and power to do so. Small to mid size companies do not have the money to get someone write a SORA for them. Even if they do they do not know the outcome. We are working on one since over a year, because the requirements change almost on a monthly level. National airspace authorities also don't like to work with companies, which are not certified for air space products. So a request by DJI has more of a chance to get certifed than when a small video production company enters the very same request.
Plus the SORA needs to be adjusted every 12 months due of the EASA SORA lifecycle and changing rules. This also costs a lot of money every year and could be broken down by dji.

DJI should also look at this support as a marketing option. No only to sell more units. Right now the I3 is legally a paperweight for 90% of the jobs.  
But also that most production companies, that work with the I3 in Europe, fly illegaly! As long as no body gets hurt or pulled to court its just the production companies risk to fly without insurance coverage, due of illegal flights. But once it gets public it could also make some impacts on even stronger regulations. Which will hurt dji product sells.
2-20 01:27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules