RC2 with external monitor (tablet/phone/monitor) ?
1029 9 2-8 23:02
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jan Spacil
lvl.4

Czechia

Hi, I know this topic has been discussed before in the context of various glasses, so I guess this isn't an option, but I'd rather ask.
Is there any way to extend the RC2 with an external monitor? I'm not talking about the mount design, I'm able to solve that easily, but the question is how to set up the video output from the RC2.

I was thinking about two solutions, either a dedicated external monitor with USB-C + HDMI inputs - this can be found in a cheap variant around 50-70USD and needs to be powered from a powerbank for example, or the possibility of using an android tablet/phone with Monitor+ app (which I use for external monitoring when shooting with DSLR).

Is there any way to force the USB connector in the RC2 to send the image to the output? I don't want to use an external monitor to control the drone, I'm just concerned with the screen output that is displayed on the RC2 (the 5.5" RC2 screen is just too small for my eyes).

Any ideas? Thanks! :]

2-8 23:02
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

really discussed many times

2-8 23:59
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI RC 2 does not support HDMI output. Regarding the USB-C to HDMI/DP adapters, we haven't tested relevant accessories therefore, we cannot guarantee the stability. As the output feature has not undergone a compatibility test, using the RC 2 for HDMI output may result in unstable transmission or stuttering. We recommend conducting a test run before any live streaming or image output to ensure a stable connection. Thank you for your understanding.
2-9 01:04
Use props
fans0a1e8864
lvl.1

United States

I tried this using a USB-C to HDMI cable to our 24" TV monitor that we use with our Mavic 3 Thermal.  It worked for a while then suddenly the RC controller rebooted.  The aircraft was 250' in the air and over 800' away.  Panic set in as we waited for the controller to boot up as the aircraft started it's Return To Home function.  Won't try that again.  I spoke with DJI and they basically stated what is stated above.
2-12 19:19
Use props
Jan Spacil
lvl.4

Czechia

Hi,
@Serg SSA: thanks for YT videos, I've watched them in the past (+ some other videos) and wondered why HDMI out wasn't working in my case. That was the reason I made the post. I tried three devices, without a success:
1. Cheap USB-C > HDMI adapter, not working

2. USB hub with HDMI out, not working:
usbHUB.png

3. HDMI capture card. In this case it is understandable that the adapter was not functional, the 'video direction' here is the opposite:
cap_card.png

Finally, I tried yesterday a travel USB hub from Dell and finally it works!
dell.png

So HDMI output from the RC2 is indeed possible, you just need to find a suitable adapter that the RC2 will 'get along' with.

It's another reason for me to get a Meta Quest 3 goggles sometime in the spring, where the HDMI input is also a bit more complicated but possible via capture card. Hopefully, it will work together

In any case, it's confirmation for me that I can use either a tablet or a phone with a bigger display and solve the problem with the small LCD inside the RC2 (I just can't see well anymore). Fortunately, after connecting an external HDMI, the image is also displayed on the RC2's display, so if there are problems, the drone can still be controlled.

@fans0a1e8864: This is an unpleasant problem, did the same problem occur when using an external monitor, or did you try just the TV monitor?
I have the drone set to auto RTH in case of connection loss, but it's still a risk.
Thanks for the warning, so I will try the connection only in safe conditions and if the solution works and there are no problems, I will fly in the field afterwards.
qgeem.png
2-13 00:36
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

Jan Spacil Posted at 2-13 00:36
Hi,
@Serg SSA: thanks for YT videos, I've watched them in the past (+ some other videos) and wondered why HDMI out wasn't working in my case. That was the reason I made the post. I tried three devices, without a success:

Все кабели, которые я купил, мне подошли. Есть один момент: кабель необходимо подключить к пульту заранее, до включения пульта. Если кабель подключен после загрузки пульта, он работать не будет.
2-13 01:16
Use props
Jan Spacil
lvl.4

Czechia

Interesting point, thanks.
2-14 00:03
Use props
MetalMonkey
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jan Spacil Posted at 2-13 00:36
Hi,
[Image]
Thank you this has been driving me nuts, i tried all kinds of usb c to hdmi with the dji rc2, nothing worked, saw this and have a dell dongle and it works perfectly!!

Brilliant!

Also while switched on and connect to the dongle i unplugged the usb-c cable then plugged it back and it worked again.
4-19 14:32
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Has it occurred to anyone this “hack” could be damaging your controller, or the exterior monitor or making your drone less reliable?

Someone already suggested the fact when they had a controller reboot with their drone in the air at a good distance!

There is no improvement, in my humble view to taking the portableness of the mini system and adding all that crap to it.

Sorry. I’d like to be helpful, I’ve been in the drone activity for 12 years with lots of tears.

Just sayin.
4-21 06:23
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Russia

TheCameraGuy Posted at 4-21 06:23
Has it occurred to anyone this “hack” could be damaging your controller, or the exterior monitor or making your drone less reliable?

Someone already suggested the fact when they had a controller reboot with their drone in the air at a good distance!

This is not a "hacking" at all. This is a standard Android feature, DJI just hasn't tested it. In the RC remote control they even disabled the driver, but in RC 2 they probably forgot it. By the way, you can install the driver in RC and it will work)
4-21 11:31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules