Possible new UAV owner. Need advice please.
912 5 2015-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cshortt
New

United States

Hi all,
I am new to this discussion board and will, possible be new to the UAV world. I've been a photographer for a while and am looking at getting into the arial photo/video world. This will be just for fun, no commercial stuff.
Here is my question; I have a chance to buy a used, but very well cared for, never crashed Phantom2, with a zenmuse H3-3D gimbal, all the paperwork, all the accessories that came with it in the box, 5 batteries (genuine DJI), extra set of rotors, and an aluminum carrying case with lazer cut foam liner for the entire system. All of this for $500.00.
Would you mind letting me know your thoughts about wheather this is a fair deal or not?

I do not have the GoPro Hero3, but I do have the Hero2. I've been reading about using the Hero2 on the Hero3 gimbal and have read that you can and that you can't because it does not balance correctly.
Any advice you have on this topic is also greatly appriciated.

EDIT: It also comes with a GoPro3 camera and accessoris.

Carl.

2015-9-10
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

Does that set give you first person view on you table or phone so you can see what the camera sees during flight. That would be key for me. For both photos and videos. Check the uses on the batteries. Price with 5 batteries seems good. Keep in mind DJI is selling the PHANTOM 3 at a hundred dollars off right now

Phantom 3 Standard.

Save $100 USD when placing your order now. Now only $699

The Phantom 3 Standard is the newest addition to the Phantom series. With a 2.7K video camera, live HD view as you fly, and easy flight controls, anyone can take to the sky.
2015-9-10
Use props
davisjeffw
lvl.1

United States

That sounds like a good deal on the price. Just don't expect it to reach it's specified range of 1/2 mile in FCC mode. I've have a pretty rough experience with mine (you can look up the threads). I finally took it into a dealer for repair and they told me not to expect to get past 1400 feet or so.
2015-9-15
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

davisjeffw@gmai Posted at 2015-9-15 10:12
That sounds like a good deal on the price. Just don't expect it to reach it's specified range of 1/2 ...

Upgrade the antennas. I have a P2V and can get over 4000ft with it (modified antennas). Im also flying the P3P and I havent done a distance test yet, but able to get 2000ft easy @ 400 ft with nearby trees. Same with the Vision at 3K around trees. Make sure your Wi Fi extender and radio are fully charged. That helps, expecially with the FPV.
2015-9-16
Use props
cshortt
New

United States

Thanks for the advice. One thing I forgot to put in my post above was that it came with the GoPro3 camera and all the miscellaneous things that come with it. Well, I ended up getting the UAV for $250 without the camera. Still feel like it was a good deal. I can buy a used camera for much less than $250 and come out money ahead.
It does not have FPV, but I see that in the near future. Been doing some reading and watching videos about it. First I need to learn to fly the thing.......then worry about the other stuff. Anyone have a good video they recommend for first time UAV pilots? I have flown model aircraft for several years and am compliant with them.  
2015-9-16
Use props
davisjeffw
lvl.1

United States

Kilted Flyer (D Posted at 2015-9-16 06:33
Upgrade the antennas. I have a P2V and can get over 4000ft with it (modified antennas). Im also fly ...

Thank you.

What's the best way to upgrade the antennas?
2015-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules