Mini 4 Pro: How to calibrate IMU, compass, gimbal and controller.
507 5 2-9 06:33
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Justin Case 7
First Officer
Flight distance : 1664583 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Mini 4 Pro: How to calibrate IMU, compass, gimbal and controller.
It can be watched as an article or as a video.
I hope you enjoy it!
https://vicvideopic.com/dji-mini-4-pro-calibration-of-imu-compass-gimbal-and-remote-control/

dji-mini-4-pro-calibration-of-imu-compass-gimbal-and-remote-control.jpg
2-9 06:33
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FYI shouldnt be any need to calibrate the compass, unless you add ferrous material to the drone like a speaker or a manhole cover ;)
2-9 06:54
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Nice video.

About the compass calibration a remark:

I never seen flights(logs) where a DJI drone flys erratically due to a incorrect compass calibration!

You cannot perform a compass calibration not properly.
Calibration is checked during the calibration proces ; result = good or not good.

So after a compass calibration there will be no crash due to a not properly executed calibration.

IMO the most important check on DJI drones is to check the compass heading before starting a flight.
- Power ON drone while keep it steady for 10 seconds
- Check in the map view (bottom left FlyApp, by default North is top ) the blue 'drone' arrow heading.
- Compare heading with the actual heading of your drone
- If not the same: DO NOT FLY, power OFF drone, relocate, power ON and check again.

btw1 - my MINI4pro has never had a compass calibration, out of the box into air ; always good flights!
btw2 - so no need to do a compass calibration just for a good feel or so....

cheers
JJB

2-9 07:41
Use props
Justin Case 7
First Officer
Flight distance : 1664583 ft
  • >>>
Italy

JJB* Posted at 2-9 07:41
Hi,

Nice video.

Interesting remarks, thank you.
So far with the Mini 4 Pro, I have never calibrated the compass, while with previous models I was prompted to do it relatively often
2-12 11:54
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Another nice in depth article.
I only feel there is way too much ads compared to the amount of text.
Personally I dial these down on my own websites to keep them below 10% of the content.
3-4 09:10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

To clarify a few points ...
How to Calibrate the IMU
Choose an area far from metal and free from interference. Place the Mini 4 Pro on a horizontal, level, and perfectly flat surface

There is no need to avoid "metal" (you probably meean iron or steel) when calibrating the IMU.
The IMU sensors are not affected by magnetic interference.

How to Calibrate the Compass
When
The compass keeps track of the drone’s position and home point.
If it is not calibrated properly, the drone might fly erratically or crash

The compass can't keep track of the drone's position (that's done by GPS) or home point (that's stored in the drone's internal memory).
The compass only provides directional information to show what direction the drone is pointing.

It also plays an important role in the case of a Return to Home
It is just as important whenever your drone is in the air.

Like in the case of the IMU, the compass calibration has to be performed in case of unusual flight behavior or when prompted on the screen
There is almost no need to ever recalibrate the compass.
Even if you think the drone is telling you to.
In 99% of the time, it's DJI's poorly worded and misleading warning message telling you that you've placed the drone in a spot affected by magnetic interference.
Recalibrating the compass won't fix the problem.

The correct action is to power down, move the drone to somewhere free of magnetic interference and start again.
In the other 1% of times this message shows, it's because you are trying to launch in the dark and DJI's message is unnecessary and completely wrong.
Launching in the dark has no effect at all on the compass system and recalibrating the compass won't help get rid of the stupid warning or allow the drone to start.
For that you need to light the area with a bright light.

The only time you would need to calibrate the compass is after adding or removing accessories to /from your drone.

3-4 14:24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules