Easier Control of Max Altitude Setting
372 19 2-9 23:45
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

Is there a way to more precisely set the max altitude on the DJI RC?
I find it almost impossible to dial in the proper number (like 250, 350, or 400ft).  The range is so huge that I can't select the number I need.
Then every time I accidentally tap a number above 400 I have to agree to the warning...
2-9 23:45
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
Canada

Does anyone really care if you're a few feet/metres over 400ft/120m?

I set mine higher, as I usually fly up hills a lot and use common sense.
2-10 04:43
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

The native unit is metric. Imperial is linked to that in the settings, so you cannot set exact Imperial numbers. 120 meters or 400 feet is the max altitude allowed by most countries.
2-10 07:33
Use props
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

MS Posted at 2-10 04:43
Does anyone really care if you're a few feet/metres over 400ft/120m?

I set mine higher, as I usually fly up hills a lot and use common sense.
In class C airspace or when extending the 400ft above buildings I would like to keep things tight.
Within a few feet is fine, but the setting is so damn twitchy that I can barely get it within 50ft of my target.
2-10 07:58
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This has been complained about since the fly app was first launched and nothing has been done about it.
2-10 09:23
Use props
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-10 09:23
This has been complained about since the fly app was first launched and nothing has been done about it.

So basically DJI doesn't care if we can't accurately configure the safety settings?
2-10 13:19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rosewell Flyer Posted at 2-10 13:19
So basically DJI doesn't care if we can't accurately configure the safety settings?

Are you part 107 pilot?

Correct, they don't care.  But why should they?  The drone's altitude is properly maintained by the sticks, not by the max height settings.  Honestly, just because you set a number like 198 doesn't mean your drone will stop at 198 feet AGL.  It means your drone is 198 feet above the home point so unless where you live is completely flat, it's not an accurate number.  Even so, I have found when you set a number, the drone will often stop somewhere above or below that exact number anywhere.  Also, on the FPV drones, you cannot dial in this number since they are presets.  There is no 400 but there a 1xx and 3xx and 6xx I believe so in uncontrolled airspace if you want to go up to 400 feet, you have to choose the hardcoded 6xx.  Finally if you insist on using this setting precisely, try pressing the slider, holding, and rolling your finger the slightest bit left or right while pressing hard (like taking fingerprints) and you should get finer control than swiping.
2-10 16:20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. Currently, this function is unavailable but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.
2-10 21:19
Use props
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-10 21:19
Hi there. Thank you for your feedback. Currently, this function is unavailable but we'll forward this feedback to our developers. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.

I'm very new to this forum and already finding these scripted DJI responses to be incredibly annoying and unhelpful.
2-10 21:23
Use props
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

The Saint Posted at 2-10 16:20
Are you part 107 pilot?

Correct, they don't care.  But why should they?  The drone's altitude is properly maintained by the sticks, not by the max height settings.  Honestly, just because you set a number like 198 doesn't mean your drone will stop at 198 feet AGL.  It means your drone is 198 feet above the home point so unless where you live is completely flat, it's not an accurate number.  Even so, I have found when you set a number, the drone will often stop somewhere above or below that exact number anywhere.  Also, on the FPV drones, you cannot dial in this number since they are presets.  There is no 400 but there a 1xx and 3xx and 6xx I believe so in uncontrolled airspace if you want to go up to 400 feet, you have to choose the hardcoded 6xx.  Finally if you insist on using this setting precisely, try pressing the slider, holding, and rolling your finger the slightest bit left or right while pressing hard (like taking fingerprints) and you should get finer control than swiping.

Yes I am.  I just want to be able to get my LAANC authorization and accurately set the max AGL so that I can fly and focus on composing my shot and not be constantly worrying about my altitude.  That seems like a pretty reasonable and obvious capability that the drone should have.  
Believe me, I've tried very hard to dial in the height setting and I find it extremely finicky.  I can get it somewhat close after some effort but boy is it irritating.
Sometimes I fly across two different height zones so I would like to be able to fly in one area up to 350ft, then readily switch to 250ft max height as I move into another zone.
2-10 21:28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rosewell Flyer Posted at 2-10 13:19

I would suggest that that is a bit extreme.
They don't seem bothered that we can not nominally set the height in accordance with our wishes but, a2 to it being a safety concern I would say that flying close to the legal limit is, in itself, a safety concern irrespective of the setting.
Height control is not precise and depends on air pressure, so there are two means, accuracy and air pressure, by which a setting of for example 399ft  or maybe even 390ft could lead to a drone hovering over the home point climbing to break 400ft AGL.
Add to that that people, at least in the UK, rarely fly over pancake flat land and you have a situation where the ground underneath the drone may drop away and the drone break 400ft AGL if it was flying near 400ft above the home point.
2-11 05:47
Use props
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-11 05:47
I would suggest that that is a bit extreme.
They don't seem bothered that we can not nominally set the height in accordance with our wishes but, a2 to it being a safety concern I would say that flying close to the legal limit is, in itself, a safety concern irrespective of the setting.
Height control is not precise and depends on air pressure, so there are two means, accuracy and air pressure, by which a setting of for example 399ft  or maybe even 390ft could lead to a drone hovering over the home point climbing to break 400ft AGL.

I don't want to fly*exactly* at the legal limit.  I want to be able to actually dial in a hight that will keep me legal.  That includes me being able to dial in whatever buffer space I think is needed.

I'm in a very flat area and typically there are buildings all within 400ft of each other.  So I'm usually good for at least 420ft.  I'd like to be able to set the max height to 415 without hassle.
2-11 10:22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rosewell Flyer Posted at 2-10 21:28
Yes I am.  I just want to be able to get my LAANC authorization and accurately set the max AGL so that I can fly and focus on composing my shot and not be constantly worrying about my altitude.  That seems like a pretty reasonable and obvious capability that the drone should have.  
Believe me, I've tried very hard to dial in the height setting and I find it extremely finicky.  I can get it somewhat close after some effort but boy is it irritating.
Sometimes I fly across two different height zones so I would like to be able to fly in one area up to 350ft, then readily switch to 250ft max height as I move into another zone.

Understood and I fly across zones as well but I've given up on trying to make the slider changing during flight; it's hard enough on the ground.  I just set it once for the highest zone and go from there.  Not sure we'll get a software update with this round of Fly drones but perhaps this is planned in the future.  A really fast drone like the FPV you can set this height and bounce off it to stay legal because the drone moves so quickly if you didn't have it you would go way over.  I get your point, within LAANC you don't want to exceed the grid authorization.
2-11 12:07
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Change your units to Metric. Set your height to 125 meters. Then back to Imperial.
2-11 12:32
Use props
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-11 12:32
Change your units to Metric. Set your height to 125 meters. Then back to Imperial.

No.  My LAANC apps give me clearances in feet.
2-11 12:40
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Rosewell Flyer Posted at 2-11 12:40
No.  My LAANC apps give me clearances in feet.

You don't know how to convert?
2-11 12:58
Use props
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-11 12:58
You don't know how to convert?

Ahh, internet forums, the place to go to ask a reasonable question so that you can get hassled by people who don't have good answer.
2-11 13:01
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Rosewell Flyer Posted at 2-11 13:01
Ahh, internet forums, the place to go to ask a reasonable question so that you can get hassled by people who don't have good answer.

Not quite. You have had several GOOD answers, including mine!!! You just need to heed them!!
2-11 13:13
Use props
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-11 13:13
Not quite. You have had several GOOD answers, including mine!!! You just need to heed them!!

Nope.  I have confirmed that the setting is finicky and there is no way to accurately enter a number.
There exists no solution unless DJI is willing to fix it.
2-11 19:03
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Rosewell Flyer Posted at 2-10 21:23
I'm very new to this forum and already finding these scripted DJI responses to be incredibly annoying and unhelpful.

Your feedback is so important to us. My apologies if the response didn't meet the expectations. Rest assured that we already recorded this suggestion of yours. Please note that every suggestion will undergo evaluation and that takes time. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. We hope this will be considered soon. Your understanding is greatly appreciated
2-15 01:03
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules