Quick Transfer changing my home network password on my iPhone 13
393 12 2-10 09:23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quantum41
lvl.1

United States

Tried in vain for over a month or so to take images off my bird (drone: DJI Mini 4 Pro) and directly onto my iPhone 13 (iOS 17.3.1).  The bird DOES NOT HAVE an SD card - just native onboard storage that is installed by DJI at the factory.  No process I've tried will work - no wireless, no cables, etc.  I'm at wit's end on this.  

I'll relate everything I've done, or know so far.

1) Bird and DJI Fly mobile app on my Iphone: Firmware Up to date on bird, latest version of DJI FLY with QT (Quick Transfer refinements)  so - up to date on both.
2) My bird package came with the RC 2 controller.  Bird and RC 2 are paired, work fine together.  I fly with no problem.  I just can't get the images off.  It used to be easy with the RC-N2 controller, but not now.

Continuing with data on my problem:

When asking for help INSIDE DJI fly, in the QT section, entitled:  The "Device not found?" link here's what it says:

Help:

Check availability: QT is available on DJI Mini Pro 4 (and a bunch of others), so I'm good here.

App Permissions:  Required permissions allowed.  Restart aircraft if search continues to fail (It does - I have). Make sue aircraft is within 1 meter radius of mobile device (it is) and search again (I have).

continuing...

Using QT on the following aircraft models:
DJI Mini 2: press and hold aircraft status indicator on the rear of the aircraft to enable QT mode
DJI Mini 3: press power button 3 times to enable QT
<NO DJI Mini 4 specific directives....>

Trying to connect them (DJI FLY and the bird)

1) DJI fly on my Iphone knows my home network, finds it, and then asks me for the spinning bird to join.
2) I say yes - the bird image spins and spins and they don't connect.
3) I get a results screen that says: connection fails, try again.  Not much help to diagnose what's going on but....
3) I look at my iPhone and the password for my iPhone to talk with my home network is changed!!  Therefore my iphone flips itself back to cellular, and I have to forget my house network, and re-add my iPhone back to it.  In all honesty - NOTHING (no app) should change my iPhone network password for my own network!!

Maybe I can get a list of help steps from someone knowledgeable about this.  Some thoughts about what I need to check on, but can't seem to find:

1) Where do I give the bird and or the RC 2 controller access to my home network, if they need that?  Where is that stored and how can I change or edit it?
2) Is the bird and DJI FLY trying to establish their own connection somehow?

I've watched tons of videos on people doing this with cables (tried that) and read on some success with SC DATA cards, but I'm not using one.  I'm using onboard native storage, and that works great.

I just can't get the images off at all.

Thanks in advance,
Q41
2-10 09:23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the trouble that it may cause you. To provide clarity, the aircraft doesn't require internet access during the QuickTransfer process. To help you with your concern about using the QuickTransfer feature, please follow our recommendations below.

1. Power on the aircraft and wait until the self-diagnostic tests of the aircraft are complete.
2. Make sure Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are enabled on the mobile device. The cellular/mobile data must be turned off. Launch DJI Fly and a prompt will appear to connect to the aircraft.
3. Tap Connect. Once successfully connected, the files on the aircraft can be accessed and downloaded at high speed. When connecting the mobile device to the aircraft for the first time, press and hold the power button of the aircraft for two seconds to confirm.

If you encounter connection problems, you may follow the steps below.

Method 1

1. Ensure that the mobile phone’s Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on. Make sure to disable the cellular data
2. Restart the mobile phone and aircraft.
3. Try to rename the aircraft's Wifi name via the DJI Fly app and restart it.
4. Please try to start the motor with a remote controller as usual first, then try the quick transfer again.

Method 2:

For the iPhone, go to “Settings - General - Transfer or Restore iPhone - Reset - Reset Network Settings” (please note that this method will delete all network settings saved in the phone).

If the problem persists, you may let us know for further checking. I hope to hear from you soon.
2-11 20:27
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

The Quick Transfer does not use your home wifi network. The drone is becoming a wifi access point and the phone connects to it.
In your case there is a possible issue I can see: did you assigned to the drone the same name of your home wifi network. If so, the issue you experienced can be somewhat explained.
By the way, I suggest to run al the steps suggested by DJI Gamora, considering that your home wifi network is not involved in the QC transfer.
2-12 00:59
Use props
Quantum41
lvl.1

United States

Fabio and Gamora,

Will try all those suggestion and thank you for the detailed step to take.  Enlightenment helps.  WIll report back on success, modified success, or ... continued issues.
2-12 06:19
Use props
Quantum41
lvl.1

United States

FabioV Posted at 2-12 00:59
The Quick Transfer does not use your home wifi network. The drone is becoming a wifi access point and the phone connects to it.
In your case there is a possible issue I can see: did you assigned to the drone the same name of your home wifi network. If so, the issue you experienced can be somewhat explained.
By the way, I suggest to run al the steps suggested by DJI Gamora, considering that your home wifi network is not involved in the QC transfer.

Method 1

1. Ensure that the mobile phone’s Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on. Make sure to disable the cellular data
2. Restart the mobile phone and aircraft.
3. Try to rename the aircraft's Wifi name via the DJI Fly app and restart it.
4. Please try to start the motor with a remote controller as usual first, then try the quick transfer again.

Yes, possibly. Looking for exact clarity on step 3 to do that.  I've asked for that from DJI Gamora, but if you know, please share.

As well - step 4?  Please start the motor?  does that mean - connect my bird with my RC and fly it for a second or 2, then shut down the RC and bird, and pick up my phone to try to transfer the images again?
2-12 07:11
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

Quantum41 Posted at 2-12 07:11
Method 1

1. Ensure that the mobile phone’s Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are turned on. Make sure to disable the cellular data

Concerning the step 3, please try changing just the aircraft name. The wifi name contains the aircraft name.
I think that in the step 4 you just need to arm your motors and then to stop them, not to fly.
2-12 08:44
Use props
Quantum41
lvl.1

United States

Let's do a data reset on the status of all the parts and pieces I have:

1) Iphone 13 with an up to date DJI fly on it.  I used to use this same iPhone with my old RC-N2 controller to fly my Mavic Air 2.  HOWEVER: Since I upgraded to my new Mini 4 Pro - DJI FLY is now logged out from the different account to fly the Mavic Air 2, and into the same DJI account as my NEW RC-2 controller has, to fly my new Mini 4 Pro.

2) Since my new RC-2 controller with has to KNOW my home network so it can get firmware updates, it has an entry for it in the RC 2, and gets firmaware updates quite well.
3) My Mini4 Pro:  my Mini 4 Pro and RC 2 talk to each other just fine, flying works great, and there are no issues with that side of the experince.  I take photos just fine, etc.

HOWEVER -

My issue is getting them off the bird and onto the iphone.  SO here's what I do:

I come in from flying -  and then turn BOTH units (Drone and RC 2) off.  

Then, I turn ON the bird again and my phone is of course also on, but srtart DJI fly iphone all so my iPhone can talk tothe bird, and transfer those images.

So with:

RC-2 powered off,
Iphone on and talking to my home network, and with bluetooth on, I try a Quick Transfer:

images to see:

Starting DJI Fly on my iPhone:

DJI Fly start (image 1):

Learn about QT (image 2):

Starting the QT process: (image 3):

QT trying to connect to home network (image 4):

Screen appears of the drone spinning while it searches for the network.

10-15 seconds later, it notifies me of that failure.

I check my iphone wifi connection it's disconnected, and if I check my password for that connection - it has been changed to a string of upper and lower case characters.

This is repeatable every time I try it.

2-12 09:23
Use props
Quantum41
lvl.1

United States

FabioV Posted at 2-12 08:44
Concerning the step 3, please try changing just the aircraft name. The wifi name contains the aircraft name.
I think that in the step 4 you just need to arm your motors and then to stop them, not to fly.

Please - I don't know where the aircraft name field is.... please tell me how to find it and Ill change it!  No screen anywhere that I can find has a name fiend for the aircraft.  I've checked DJI FLY, my RC 2, etc.

Please advise.
2-12 09:32
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

Please repeat all the steps you did before. When the wifi connection fails, open the settings of the iphone, turn the wifi off, wait few seconds, turn it on and try again. Please ignore step 3 now.
2-12 10:35
Use props
Quantum41
lvl.1

United States

FabioV Posted at 2-12 10:35
Please repeat all the steps you did before. When the wifi connection fails, open the settings of the iphone, turn the wifi off, wait few seconds, turn it on and try again. Please ignore step 3 now.

Thanks FabioV - sorry to say - and I'm not a luddite at all with this stuff, but I tried BOTH AIRPLANE MODE and turning the wifi itself off - with no changes to the base problem.

Here the final screen from DJI FLY on my iphone - and then I have go and reset the network connections again because the iPhone's PW to my house net is once again, changed.

The only 2 things that are on are the bird, and my phone.  If they're NOT supposed to be using my house network, why is the house net even involved?

If the drone thinks it's name is the same as my house net, then we should check if that's true, and change it.  But I can't find any tool on the RC-2 interface to the drone, or DJI FLY interface/app that specficially says:

DRONE NAME: xxxxxx

2-12 10:59
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Italy

Quantum41 Posted at 2-12 10:59
Thanks FabioV - sorry to say - and I'm not a luddite at all with this stuff, but I tried BOTH AIRPLANE MODE and turning the wifi itself off - with no changes to the base problem.

Here the final screen from DJI FLY on my iphone - and then I have go and reset the network connections again because the iPhone's PW to my house net is once again, changed.

The about section in the camera view
2-12 13:20
Use props
Quantum41
lvl.1

United States

@FabioV and @DJI Gamora

First - the good news.  I got this to work.  I will explain in verbose detail, but for now - the executive headlines are:  Success.

Thank you BOTH!

I know why it failed, but 2 very important details you included in your responses back to me were instrumental in helping me succeed:

1) FROM DJI Gamora:  To provide clarity, the aircraft doesn't require internet access during the QuickTransfer process.
2) From Fabio: The Quick Transfer does not use your home wifi network. The drone is becoming a wifi access point and the phone connects to it.

Both of you are saying the same thing.  So I'm going to take you on a journey of discovery about how a deeply credentialed engineer figured all this out.

Stay tuned.  I have to take screen shots and build the story...
2-13 06:55
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Quantum41 Posted at 2-13 06:55
@FabioV and @DJI Gamora

First - the good news.  I got this to work.  I will explain in verbose detail, but for now - the executive headlines are:  Success.

Hello, there. Thank you for your update. We're delighted to hear that the problem has been rectified with regard QuickTransfer feature. Please know that we're always here to help! Cheers!
2-21 21:20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules