DJI Go 4 Never Connecting via Samsung S23+ and Tab S7 FE 5G
314 7 2-10 11:37
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RoninRush
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9098 ft

United States

Hello all! New guy here, but I've been perusing the forums for a while. As such, I've seen the community be pretty helpful, and I'm feeling confident that someone here can help me with my particular issue. Before I start with my request, let me preface it with the declaration that I am not new to drones, researching issues, or even technology. I've watched all the videos that I can find through official channels and the ones I've discovered by searching via Google and through a search engine aggregator (yCombinator) to no avail. I've also read quite a few blogs and articles via my searches and they also have not brought resolution. There, now that I've got the disclaimerout of the way, here goes!

TL;DR version: I've got 2 Phantom 4 Pros and their original RCs. The DJI GO 4 app shows not connected, and a large number of combinations for connection and power-on/app-runnin have been tried. Firmware upgrade on the latest phantom 4 I procured has been performed and a factory reset was performed as well. First Phantom stuck in beeping and flashing of LEDs mode, so no upgrades or resets performed.

Full info:

I've procured 2 different Phantom Pros (and a horribly mangled one for parts as part of the deal on one of the flight ready units) from 2 different sellers (both private), I have (I think this is the problem) recently had to change phones due to the one I started with being damaged. The first Phantom flew fine with the DJI Go 4 app, although I belkieve I had some trouble connecting at first. Additionally, the first phantom flew a tiny bit with the CivATAK addon, ATAKGo, but then dropped out of the sky due to the motors just stopping suddenly and dropping from around 40 feet above local ground level. Since that crash, the Phantom turns on but then only beeps and flashes its lights, even when connected to the DJI Assistant 2. The crash of that first unit is what necesitated the purchase of the second. To this day, I'm still unsure of the cause of the crash, as I have identified a few possible causes including the following:
  • Sudden temporary malfunction causing cutoff of motor power.
  • Countermeasures initiated by FAA or related personel working within the 4 cautionary or restricted airspaces that overlap a portion of the area I fly in (I am a multi-brand pilot, as I also own two Yuneec Typhoon H+). Highly unllikely, especially since one of those airspaces is military and another is an international airport approach. Even if countermeasures were used, I'm confident that a detail would be sent to retrieve the UAS as well as to find and arrest or serve a warrant to appear before the zone's ruling court entity to me.
  • ATAKGo bug causing the failure
  • Malfunction causing motor shutoff due to "confusion" in the system regarding battery charge, as the batteries were swapped quickly to reduce wasted flight tiime.

The current problem is with both units, or rather it's with my phone and tablet in conjunction with the DJI Go 4 app. When either device is connected via cable (both use USB-C) to the RC the app always says disconnected. Additionally, it never "connects" with the UAS.

I've tried with an OTG cabling setup and with a known standard (not just power) USB-C cable connected to the RC via the USB-A port and with the USB-B Micro port, with the remote sync'd to either Phantom (mainly trying with the flight ready non damaged newer addition to my "hangar") and without sync, and with the order being UAS->RC->DJI Go 4 for power up/app running, as well as DJI Go 4 -> RC -> UAS, and finally tried Go 4 -> RC with no UAS in the mix.

Keep in mind, please, the above listed methods have been tried in every combination possible without success.

Also, no firmware updates have been made to the RC since I can't seem to connect to it. The Phantoms were already running the most current firmware IIRC.  DJI Go 4 is current version available via the QC code on the DJI website. (Reinstalled app today on my S23+. The Tab S7 FE 5G currently says "problem parsing package" (or very similar) when attempting to install the latest version from the QC code on the DJI site, and that install failure has the app no longer showing installed so I cannot try using the previous version I had installed last summer.

In Closing: with all that info, does anyone see a step I've missed somewhere?

I appreciate any and all info, and of course, everyone who has taken the time to read my long issue background and question!

Sincerely,
RoninRush

2-10 11:37
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there. We're sorry to hear about the situation regarding this matter. Please be advised that I've sent you a direct message for further assistance. You may check and keep us posted on the latest progress. I hope to hear from you soon.
2-12 04:13
Use props
RoninRush
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-12 04:13
Hello, there. We're sorry to hear about the situation regarding this matter. Please be advised that I've sent you a direct message for further assistance. You may check and keep us posted on the latest progress. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,I'll check it out
2-12 10:28
Use props
RoninRush
lvl.1

United States

I'm sorry to say,I found the message but your download was only 126 bytes, and contained only an empty folder. Maybe it needs to be re-posted?
2-12 10:33
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I have tried to use a iPad mini 6 which is USB C, and the devices you are using are as well.  I can't for the life of meet the iPad 6 mini or any other device using the USB C port in the Apple world to work with the Phantom 4 Pro. I know that you are using Android and wondering why I am bringing up Apple products.  Well there is a common denominator, the USB C port.  Maybe there is something with the USB C port that the Phantom 4 Pro doesn't like.  I know some people have said they have gotten their Phantom 4 Pro's working with it, but I believe they are using the Phantom 4 Pro ver 2 Drones.  I have tried every combination of cables and adapters to get this to work.  I have posted this on multiple sites over the last couple of years and many people have chimed in and nothing.  I have had to resort to buying a iPad mini 5 that uses the lightning cable that works without any issues.  So I don't know if this helps or not.
2-13 06:42
Use props
Gizmo6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28140 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a P4P v2 so this may not apply... I use a iPad Mini 6 with the USB-C port and I have had no issues connecting to my P4P v2.  I have had issues with USB cables in the past that turned out to be low-bandwidth types (they're not all created equal).
2-13 18:07
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

RoninRush Posted at 2-12 10:33
I'm sorry to say,I found the message but your download was only 126 bytes, and contained only an empty folder. Maybe it needs to be re-posted?

Thank you for your update. Please know that I've replied and provided an update regarding this matter. You may let us know about the latest progress. We're always here to help!
2-14 01:44
Use props
RoninRush
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the updated apk! That version works for me and I've been able get airborn again.
2-24 16:27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules