Charger or adapter for Avata batteries w/o hub?
436 8 2-10 14:24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like many other DJI multi-battery chargers, the "hub" for the Avata battery charges the (up to) 4 batteries plugged into it serially (one at a time), which sucks. I want my batteries to charge in parallel (simultaneously), and have a charger with multiple USB outputs that puts out enough juice to do so. But the only things I know of that the proprietary connector on the Avata batteries can connect to is the hub and the aircraft. I haven't been able to find a charger that does not use the hub. I'm not interested in buying multiple hubs just to hold a single battery each (especially not @ ~$50 a pop). Does anybody know of a charger, cable, or adapter that will make parallel charging possible? Or even a souce for the female connector that I could use to fab a cable?
TIA.
2-10 14:24
Use props
GTHero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1832372 ft
Australia

You can purchase single (non-hub) power adaptors on eBay (US sellers) for around $35.

A bigger problem for me was getting a battery to charge in under three hours.  Are you sure you can get parallel (multi-battery) fast charging from a single USB wall plug?  From my experience you need a >= 65W adaptor including, I think, a cable with USB-C at both ends.  When none of my old adaptors would give me a fast charge, I went and purchased a three-output 65W adaptor.  With this, only one of the three output sockets charges fast, and that's the one with the USB-C connector.  The other two slots - with standard sockets, power slow.  And if I try and use them at the same time as the USB-C socket, then I get a slow charge from all of them!  
2-10 19:58
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your avata should have came with a single-battery hub charger doc.  I'm sure if you ask on this forum, there are many here who used the 3-battery hub and do not use their 1-battery hub.
2-10 20:17
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GTHero Posted at 2-10 19:58
You can purchase single (non-hub) power adaptors on eBay (US sellers) for around $35.

A bigger problem for me was getting a battery to charge in under three hours.  Are you sure you can get parallel (multi-battery) fast charging from a single USB wall plug?  From my experience you need a >= 65W adaptor including, I think, a cable with USB-C at both ends.  When none of my old adaptors would give me a fast charge, I went and purchased a three-output 65W adaptor.  With this, only one of the three output sockets charges fast, and that's the one with the USB-C connector.  The other two slots - with standard sockets, power slow.  And if I try and use them at the same time as the USB-C socket, then I get a slow charge from all of them!

Thanks @GTHero... I have a 100W and a 65W charger that should work but I haven't been able to try it with multiple Avata batts as I don't have any USB-to-Avata cables or adapters. I'll look into the single chargers but that sounds like an only slightly less costly and inefficient solution than a pile of Avata charging hubs...

I guess the real solution is to figure out if that connector can be had for cheap, so I can just make my own cables...
2-10 20:21
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 2-10 20:17
Your avata should have came with a single-battery hub charger doc.  I'm sure if you ask on this forum, there are many here who used the 3-battery hub and do not use their 1-battery hub.

@The Saint I got the FlyMore combo, which came with the multi-hub but no actual charger. I'd happily take single-battery adapters off folk's hands for a reasonable price (US $30 is way too much).
2-10 20:35
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

patiam Posted at 2-10 20:35
@The Saint I got the FlyMore combo, which came with the multi-hub but no actual charger. I'd happily take single-battery adapters off folk's hands for a reasonable price (US $30 is way too much).

Are you sure you didn't get one, it should have came in the box with the drone (not the combo) and it's called the DJI Avata Power Adapter.  Every drone purchase (including the drone only) should get at least one.  I would give you mine but I have 9 batteries so I'm full.  If someone buys the combo and only have 3 or 4 batteries, they probably would never use the single if they have even 1 hub.  Wouldn't hurt to ask if someone is willing to donate their single because yeah $30+ is a bit much.
2-11 11:59
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

@The Saint- as a matter of fact I do! Somehow in my unboxing frenzy it got transferred to the Motion Combo Box, and I hadn't looked there until you prompted me to search for it.  There was a USB cable as well.

Sheez, I feel like a goof for not noticing it, I probably wouldn't have even started this thread if I'd seen it. Still would like to acquire a couple more if possible though...

Anybody reading this that has 1 or more extra of the single adapters for charging an Avata battery, I'll pay postage to CA, USA and a reasonable "convenience fee" if you'd like to get rid of them!

Anyway, Thanks!

2-11 13:35
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Look what I found

https://cloudcitydrones.com/products/dji-avata-battery-cable

2-14 11:17
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Guess nobody reading this wants to part with a single charger adapter. Cheapest I can find on eBay is U$25-30. Not worth it.

Think I'll try fabricating a cable using one of these. @ U$10 ea, it's closer to what I'm willing to spend.

New question- has anybody torn apart a single charger adapter to see what sort of "smart" charging components are inside? I'm wondering if the USB-C port is just wired straight to the battery connector or if there might be some regulatory circuitry in there. I can pop my own open if nobody knows.

DJI_Avata_BatteryConnector.jpg
2-24 09:57
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules