Is wind causing my view to turn sideways?
299 7 2-11 13:20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
amills1210
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59760 ft

United States

Hey Everyone...doing a sanity check. It's been windy where I live lately more days than not, and we've had a lot of storms (rain) which have resulted in some beautiful sunsets. I've been trying to capture some of this photos and I've noticed when trying to hold the drone steady (in air) it tilts to one side. I assume the wind is doing this because it doesnt always do this during flight. I have photos where everything looks level as well, but just wanted to do a sanity check with ya'll and make sure there isnt something I should do to prevent this from happening.

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 2.18.43 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 2.19.26 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-02-11 at 2.19.26 PM.jpeg
2-11 13:20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

yeah that looks like the wind.
2-11 14:15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. It is suggested to fly in an area without a strong wind to avoid tilting while hovering. If the issue persists even in a flight environment with normal wind, you can check the notes below:
1. Make sure that the GPS signal is strong in the flight environment.
2. Calibrate the aircraft IMU.
3. Calibrate the aircraft compass.
4. Calibrate the remote controller.
Have a great day ahead.
2-11 19:28
Use props
GTHero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1832372 ft
Australia

The Avata isn't great for windy conditions.  Unless you're banking during a turn, the angle you see is your drone countering a cross-wind.  Quad-copters have to tilt in order to move, and that includes maintaining their position in moving air.  The only way to prevent it is to stay out of the wind or at least avoid crosswind.  The Avata's gimbal levels the up & down tilt but not the sideways tilt.  Gyroflow has a setting that levels the horizon for you - obviously you lose part of the image in the crop.
2-12 03:01
Use props
amills1210
lvl.2

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2-11 19:28
Hi there. It is suggested to fly in an area without a strong wind to avoid tilting while hovering. If the issue persists even in a flight environment with normal wind, you can check the notes below:
1. Make sure that the GPS signal is strong in the flight environment.
2. Calibrate the aircraft IMU.

Good to know..thanks!
2-12 06:38
Use props
amills1210
lvl.2

United States

GTHero Posted at 2-12 03:01
The Avata isn't great for windy conditions.  Unless you're banking during a turn, the angle you see is your drone countering a cross-wind.  Quad-copters have to tilt in order to move, and that includes maintaining their position in moving air.  The only way to prevent it is to stay out of the wind or at least avoid crosswind.  The Avata's gimbal levels the up & down tilts but not the sideways tilt.  Gyroflow has a setting that levels the horizon for you - obviously you lose part of the image in the crop.

Thanks for this. What is Gyroflow and is it something I can activate for my avata?
2-12 06:38
Use props
GTHero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1832372 ft
Australia

amills1210 Posted at 2-12 06:38
Thanks for this. What is Gyroflow and is it something I can activate for my avata?

Gyroflow is a piece of free software that stabilises your video using gyroscope and accelerometer data that is embedded in the video.  Apparently, Gyroflow does a better job than the two onboard stabilisation options available for Avata users.  Basically, it smooths out all the jolts and rolls that the drone's two-axis gimbal is unable to deal with.  With Gyroflow you can retain horizon-tilt or output with a levelised horizon.  It's easy to use, but you should probably view one of the many online tutorials before you start.
Note that for the Avata to record the data used by Gyroflow, in Settings you need to set Camera FOV to 'Wide' and EIS to 'Off'.

Download from here:
https://gyroflow.xyz/
2-12 22:27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

amills1210 Posted at 2-12 06:38
Good to know..thanks!

You are most welcome. You can always reach us in case you have further concerns. Have a great day ahead.
2-13 00:44
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules