Frustrated with Hyperlapse Instability
768 5 2-13 19:10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

I've tried quite a few hyperlapses and have experienced fairly severe drifting/wavering of the camera on every single attempt.Sometimes it is just generally wiggly and sometimes it seems like it just slowly yaws to the side (and is also wiggly).
The resulting hyperlapse video looks absolutely horrible.
Sometimes I can improve it slightly with warp stabilizer in Premiere, but it is still a lousy video.

Almost all of my hyperlapses have been at night, and I am using the waypoint feature with just two waypoints.

Am I doing something wrong?  How can I get such smooth video flying from point to point, but with hyperlapse it seems to be dancing all over the place?

Do I need to be creating the video manually using the still images?  If so, what is a good tool and workflow for doing that (I use Adobe Premiere and and slightly familiar with Lightroom)?

2-13 19:10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Sorry about the trouble. Hyperlapse aims to stitch several photos into a video. The shorter the set shooting interval, the smoother the stitched video. (When the interval is closer to 0, it will be more like the video shooting effect.) The specific shooting effect decides the settings.
To ensure that the entire view parameters are consistent, Manual mode is often used in Hyperlapse. You can adjust the shutter and other parameters. The higher the shutter speed, the poorer the sense of flow represented by the objects in view. The shutter speed is set to half of the interval between two photos. For example, when the shooting interval is set to 4 seconds, the shutter speed is set to approximately 1.6 seconds or 2 seconds.

If the shot Hyperlapse shakes, try to adjust the setting in static shooting. Try to change several settings and check the effect. Then, try to fly and shoot again.
If the video still shakes while in static mode, please calibrate the gimbal and IMU and refresh the firmware.  I hope this helps. Have a great day ahead.
2-13 19:30
Use props
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2-13 19:30
Hi there. Sorry about the trouble. Hyperlapse aims to stitch several photos into a video. The shorter the set shooting interval, the smoother the stitched video. (When the interval is closer to 0, it will be more like the video shooting effect.) The specific shooting effect decides the settings.
To ensure that the entire view parameters are consistent, Manual mode is often used in Hyperlapse. You can adjust the shutter and other parameters. The higher the shutter speed, the poorer the sense of flow represented by the objects in view. The shutter speed is set to half of the interval between two photos. For example, when the shooting interval is set to 4 seconds, the shutter speed is set to approximately 1.6 seconds or 2 seconds.

This is a problem with the drone/camera not being pointed in a constant direction when taking the photos.  It is not an issue with camera settings like shutter speed.

Gimal and IMU are calibrated.
"refresh the firmware" - what the heck does that mean?
2-13 19:52
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 14031719 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rosewell Flyer Posted at 2-13 19:52
This is a problem with the drone/camera not being pointed in a constant direction when taking the photos.  It is not an issue with camera settings like shutter speed.

Bring the clip into After Effects and motion track it. Especially if you're doing night Hyperlapse. Pick a bright light somewhere in the center of the frame, usually one far off in the distance works best. I've even used a bright star in the sky to track and stabilize my footage with. You can then even use warp stabilizer on top of that to smooth it even further. Just keep it low, like 5 or less on the warp stabilizer.
2-13 20:58
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Rosewell Flyer Posted at 2-13 19:52

Hi. You can refresh the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2. You can download it to your computer using the following link: https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly. Please refer to this link to be guided: https://support.dji.com/help/con ... ;paperDocType=paper. Additionally, as recommended in the User Manual: For optimal performance, it is recommended to use Hyperlapse at an altitude higher than 50 m and to set a difference of at least 2 seconds between the interval time and shutter. It is also recommended to select a static subject.
2-14 00:33
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you tried the double stabilise trick -
2-14 01:02
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now