Stopped recording video
406 10 2-14 23:13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
newSe2Mini
lvl.1
United States

Hello,
My Mini SE 2 used to record videos directly to my iPhone with no problem, but about a month ago, it completely stopped.

When I press the recording button, it appears to be recording––it makes the digital 'bell' sound, the red circle turns into red square, and the timer starts.

However, when I finish and press 'stop', I go to the "Saved" menu where all DJI videos are, and the newly recorded video is nowhere to be found.

Taking photographs is fine; all the photos are saved. Videos are the ones that do not save at all.

I've tried the following, to no avail:
  • checking the wire connection between the controller and iPhone
  • installed the updates according to the DJI prompts in the mobile app
  • recording before takeoff
  • recording long videos (2-3 minutes) and short video (less than 10 seconds)
  • restarting the drone
  • restarting the controller
  • changing the batteries in both
  • restarting my iPhone

If any assistance could be provided, it would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
2-14 23:13
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, have you installed the SD card or not? If you have an SD card on the drone and there is remaining memory in it, after shooting, you need to manually download it from the drone album to the mobile phone album. Regarding the issue that you described the photos can be automatically saved, it is because the drone has a function to automatically synchronize photos, but videos do not have this function. Based on your description, I would like to confirm that when you were able to save photos automatically before, was it because the SD card was not installed or the SD card was installed but was full? If so, in this case, the video will be automatically cached to the phone's album. Now if you have an SD card installed, after recording the video, you need to manually download it to the phone album in the drone album.
2-15 04:22
Use props
newSe2Mini
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-15 04:22
Hello there, have you installed the SD card or not? If you have an SD card on the drone and there is remaining memory in it, after shooting, you need to manually download it from the drone album to the mobile phone album. Regarding the issue that you described the photos can be automatically saved, it is because the drone has a function to automatically synchronize photos, but videos do not have this function. Based on your description, I would like to confirm that when you were able to save photos automatically before, was it because the SD card was not installed or the SD card was installed but was full? If so, in this case, the video will be automatically cached to the phone's album. Now if you have an SD card installed, after recording the video, you need to manually download it to the phone album in the drone album.

No SD card, never needed it. The videos have always saved to Camera Roll on my iPhone, which is perfect.

And yes, I'm confirming that the videos had always saved to my phone with no issue.
2-17 13:44
Use props
newSe2Mini
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-15 05:27
The only video stored directly to your iPhone is the video cache of the flight, assuming you have it turned on.  The full definition images & video files are stored on the Micro-SD card installed in the drone & must be downloaded.  Possible reasons for your phone not saving the cached files are you have it disabled or the phone is low on memory.  You can set the phone storage to specific amounts or to Auto.

I never used an SD card because the videos always saved directly to my Camera Roll and the app placed them in a DJI folder automatically. It was a perfect setup.

I never had a problem before this started. I still have drone videos in Camera Roll from before that had saved with no issue throughout weeks of flying.

The iPhone storage has a ton of space leftover.

After reading a few other posts with the same issue––suddenly stopped saving videos to the iPhone––I'm starting to think this might be some discrepancy between the DJI Fly mobile app the iPhone iOS updates.
2-17 13:50
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

newSe2Mini Posted at 2-17 13:44
No SD card, never needed it. The videos have always saved to Camera Roll on my iPhone, which is perfect.

And yes, I'm confirming that the videos had always saved to my phone with no issue.

Hello, If you do not install a SD card, the video will be cached on your phone. You can check whether the memory of your phone is enough to save the video. Thank you.
2-19 03:38
Use props
newSe2Mini
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-17 18:14
Which drone do you have?  This is posted in the Mini 2 SE forum & that drone offers no built-in storage.   If you have a Mini 2 SE, and you do not have a Micro-SD card installed in the drone, and the only video you have ever seen is what you found on the phone, then you have only ever seen the lower-resolution 720p/30 fps cache video sent to the device during flight.  You have never experienced the full 2.7K resolution video that the drone is actually capable of capturing.

Get yourself a quality 128 GB Micro-SD card, insert it in the drone, record a flight, download the video, & experience the true potential of your aircraft.

I’m using the Mini SE 2.

After some trial and error, I figured it out. Updating in the main post.
2-19 15:18
Use props
newSe2Mini
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-19 03:38
Hello, If you do not install a SD card, the video will be cached on your phone. You can check whether the memory of your phone is enough to save the video. Thank you.

The phone storage was fine. Videos saved before without issues.

I eventually figured out the problem. I’m adding it to the main post.
2-19 15:19
Use props
newSe2Mini
lvl.1
United States

UPDATE - SOLVED:

The issue was with the DJI mobile app.

The maximum cache settings were automatically resetting to 2 GB, even though I have a 128 GB phone with over 60 GB free.

I had to turn the drone and controller off, log out of the app, power up the drone and controller, log back in, and change the maximum video cache setting again.

It actually did not work the first time; it reset back to 2 GB. I tried this whole routine a second time and it worked. I set it to 16 GB and it stayed that way.

(This was a similar issue to when I first bought the drone. I initially adjusted the allowable altitude and the app kept changing it back to 30 or so. After closing the app, logging out and back in, etc. it would stay at the higher altitude setting.)
2-19 15:27
Use props
newSe2Mini
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-19 16:01
Glad you figured this out, but are you still flying without a memory card in the drone?  If the answer is yes, then you are only getting the lower-resolution 720p cache feed.  The drone actually records up to 2.7K x 1440 resolution, but this is only recorded directly to the memory card.  You are really missing out on what she can do if you don't have one installed.

When you mentioned it, I went and found an SD card, so I’m going to start trying that out.

I just had to figure out what was causing this other save-to-phone problem, even if just for future reference. It was driving me up the wall.
2-19 16:31
Use props
newSe2Mini
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-19 16:57
I got ya.  Check out the SD card recording.  It is night & day above the cache video.

I believe it. That big of a jump is resolution of great.

It’s just really, really convenient having video immediately show up on your phone.

I’m going to check the manual again and see if I can do both—720p in the phone and 2.7k 1440p on the SD.
2-19 17:27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

newSe2Mini Posted at 2-19 15:27
UPDATE - SOLVED:

The issue was with the DJI mobile app.

Thank you for keeping us posted. We're glad that you have managed to isolate the issue that you experienced. If you have further inquiries, feel free to contact us. Have a nice day ahead!
2-22 02:56
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules