Cable Cam
3167 25 2015-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kleake1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

Hey all, Many people have mentioned that the competition has the cable cam option.  Well guess what,,, the waypoints has it too, just gotta know how to set it up.

Go into waypoints, set waypoint 1 for one end of the cable, then set 2 for the other end.  

"Head to" to "Free"

"Flight Mission Complete" set to "Hover"

Speed at "0"

When you fly this, you can press the right stick up and down to proceed along the cable, use the yaw to spin the camera and tilt as normal.  It locks you on the cable and allows you to pan and tilt as you go.   Works perfectly!  Even hovers anywhere along the cable and never ends until you end it.   Only limitation I can see is a 15mph speed limit in waypoints mode.

You are welcome!
2015-9-10
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

So the relativity of waypoint 1 and waypoint 2 is an imaginary line as i know BUT when waypoint 1 is up 100 feet and waypoint 2 is up 200, does it graduate the line altitude like a real cable ?
2015-9-10
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Nice revelation Kleake1! That's exactly how it works. but you always have to control the position of camera and not go to the end to be able to move it back and forward again
2015-9-10
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

Willie Wonka, Exactly, it will follow your alititude of the waypoints along the cable!  You can also set multiple waypoints to make your cable whatever shape you want.  The only thing you cannot do is connect the two ends.  For example if you wanted to film a circle track race or something.

The "Head To" only limits the direction of yaw so you can play with that as well.
2015-9-10
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-10 20:33
Nice revelation Kleake1! That's exactly how it works. but you always have to control the position of ...

Oh but DJI-TIM you can go to the end and back again as long as you have it set to hover instead of return to home.  And you can use the "Head To" modes if you don't want to have as much control over the camera.  The default mode you have no control, in the second choice it will hold the camera position following the cable.  Cable turns left, camera turns left also, even if you have the yaw off to the side or even behind you.  But in free mode, it stays pointing whatever direction you have it facing no matter what the cable does.
2015-9-10
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-9-10 21:34
Willie Wonka, Exactly, it will follow your alititude of the waypoints along the cable!  You can also ...

This is more than enough for cable cam with two points A and B, things are getting nicer by the minute
2015-9-10
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-9-11 09:35
Oh but DJI-TIM you can go to the end and back again as long as you have it set to hover instead of  ...

Correct ,you can control camera direction, but once you are on a second way point, mission complete hovering , you cant move it back unless you start a new mission
2015-9-10
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-10 20:56
Correct ,you can control camera direction, but once you are on a second way point, mission complet ...

You might be right if you add more points, gotta charge a battery and test again.  I tested with 2 points and it never ended, I assumed that more points it would act the same.  I'll report back in a little bit to be sure.
2015-9-10
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Tim Posted at 2015-9-10 21:56
Correct ,you can control camera direction, but once you are on a second way point, mission complet ...

So if its A B C, then you can keep going from A to B and mission will never end until you say so ?
2015-9-10
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-9-11 10:00
You might be right if you add more points, gotta charge a battery and test again.  I tested with 2  ...

alright, i'm also interested. waiting for your test results
2015-9-10
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-9-11 10:00
So if its A B C, then you can keep going from A to B and mission will never end until you say so ?

right, Willie, that would work
2015-9-10
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

Verified!  I set up 4 points in a "U" shape changing altitude.  When you set your speed to 0, when you first press up on the right stick, it goes to the first waypoint.  After that press up to go in sequence, press down to return and it follows the cable from end to end and never stops.  You can set your speed to anything, but when you release the stick it then will go to the end of the cable.  So yes this works.  I think the key is to set it to hover at the end of the waypoints and then it gives you full control to go backwards along the route.   EXCELLENT implementation of a cable cam.
2015-9-10
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-9-10 22:29
Verified!  I set up 4 points in a "U" shape changing altitude.  When you set your speed to 0, when y ...

Thanks for your test, saved me time on doing this test
2015-9-10
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

Sure wish the speed wasn't limited though.  I would like to use this for drag races to stay centered on the track.  Sure, 35mph isn't enough to keep up either, but it sure beats 15!   Maybe it's enough for lawnmower races?  
2015-9-10
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

Nice to know... A-B-C-D where B-C is the 'cable' and by setting speed to 0 you can move between these points in any direction by pushing the throttle up or down and controlling the rudder and camera tilt. Just the ticket for fly-bys over points of interest. Thanks kleake1.
2015-9-10
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

DJI is getting better all the time.... Conservatively.... But better.
2015-9-10
Use props
TheDreamingWatc
lvl.2

Austria

Great news!
2015-9-11
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-9-11 10:29
Verified!  I set up 4 points in a "U" shape changing altitude.  When you set your speed to 0, when y ...

Thinks for testing this out.  Can I request that you make a video of the technique during your spare time.
2015-9-11
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-9-10 21:29

Nice!  thanks for the tip.  Raining here now can't play with it now but I will.  You found an Easter Egg!
2015-9-11
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

Bobcat90 Posted at 2015-9-11 08:33
Thinks for testing this out.  Can I request that you make a video of the technique during your spa ...

I will try to make a video of it, but it may be a few days as i'm heading out of town for the weekend.

Phuglie, it's actually just A-B unless you have an altitude or direction change in there that requires more waypoints.  You can fly end to end with no risk of overshooting anything.  Basically it limits you to that cable between those two points only.   Instead of throttle, which won't do anything, use the right stick (forward and back) to control your movement along the cable.  If you have it set to "free", then the yaw will allow you to rotate as you fly the cable.  Tilt works always.
2015-9-11
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

rayrokni just posted a basic video of this at http://forum.dji.com/thread-30881-1-1.html
I'll still try to add screen shots of the settings unless someone beats me to it.
2015-9-11
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-9-11
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2015-9-11 18:05
This is proof that Americans think outside the box! DJI should send you a free battery!

That would be nice since that may have sold a few extra P3's instead of losing to the competition.  ;-)   And I could sure use another battery, I had to partially charge one just to verify.  
2015-9-11
Use props
axidify
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2867146 ft
Malaysia

this is even better than cable cam
2015-9-11
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-9-11 22:06
I will try to make a video of it, but it may be a few days as i'm heading out of town for the week ...

Thanks, a lot.  I wil follow the suggested techniques--- again, thanks.
2015-9-11
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-9-11 15:06
I will try to make a video of it, but it may be a few days as i'm heading out of town for the week ...

Thanks for the clarification! I can feel many exciting uses for this new and 'long' anticipated feature...
2015-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules