Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic mini randomly loses control and flies around uncontrollably
755 15 2-16 20:25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brotha
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6660 ft

Indonesia

Today i was flying my mavic mini and recording some videos, at one point when the battery was at around 44% the my drone randomly flew to the left and started to circle without me being able to control it, eventually i managed to get it back safely without crashing and i have no idea what was going on though. Can anyone tell me what happenned?
2-16 20:25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Sorry about the trouble. Please try the steps below and see if it would help. Feel free to skip the steps already done.
1. Ensure that the aircraft mode is normal, i.e., the GPS signal is strong and the aircraft is in non-ATTI mode.
2. Check whether the device drift or unsteady hovering is within the hovering accuracy range, which is shown in the Specifications of the corresponding product on the DJI official website.
You can also post a video for us to further check, if possible.
3. Try flying to a different location and check if the issue will persist
4. Check the propellers and the state of the motors. Check whether any motor rotates abnormally when the propellers are not mounted.
5. Make sure that there is no magnetic interference. It is recommended to place the aircraft on level ground for IMU calibration and compass calibration.
6. Check whether the control stick is being pushed. If the stick movement is offset, the remote controller should be calibrated.
If the issue persists after the above methods have been used and the special scenarios below have been ruled out, please send the product back for further testing. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
2-16 20:36
Use props
brotha
lvl.1

Indonesia

DJI Tony Posted at 2-16 20:36
Hi there. Sorry about the trouble. Please try the steps below and see if it would help. Feel free to skip the steps already done.
1. Ensure that the aircraft mode is normal, i.e., the GPS signal is strong and the aircraft is in non-ATTI mode.
2. Check whether the device drift or unsteady hovering is within the hovering accuracy range, which is shown in the Specifications of the corresponding product on the DJI official website.

Thanks for the help but there is one thing i forgot to specify and that is when the drone suddenly flew off i wasn't hovering instead i was moving forward, and i can confirm that i wasn't pushing the left control stick and i was only pushing the right stick straight forward when the drone started banking to the left and going in a circle uncontrollably, is there a different case for this?
2-16 21:52
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

my drone randomly flew to the left and started to circle without me being able to control it, eventually i managed to get it back safely without crashing and i have no idea what was going on though. Can anyone tell me what happened?
Your recorded flight data is needed for anyone to be able to tell what happened and possibly point to the cause.
Otherwise, all you'll get will be guesses that are probably incorrect.

Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

2-16 22:54
Use props
brotha
lvl.1

Indonesia

Is this a flight log? I don't really know yet i just started flying drones about a week ago.
2-17 01:30
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12919101 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

brotha Posted at 2-17 01:30
[view_image]

Is this a flight log? I don't really know yet i just started flying drones about a week ago.

No, this is a picture  ;-)

Flightlogs are in your mobile device or RC, go to link in post #5

this is a flightlog "DJIFlightRecord_2023-08-09_[12-47-06].txt"

cheers
JJB

2-17 01:36
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

brotha Posted at 2-16 21:52
Thanks for the help but there is one thing i forgot to specify and that is when the drone suddenly flew off i wasn't hovering instead i was moving forward, and i can confirm that i wasn't pushing the left control stick and i was only pushing the right stick straight forward when the drone started banking to the left and going in a circle uncontrollably, is there a different case for this?

Hi, brotha. No, the suggestions above still apply. Have a nice day ahead.
2-17 02:31
Use props
brotha
lvl.1

Indonesia

I went to post 5 but i don't know how to download the flight log nor do i know wich file is it, i'm basically clueless
2-17 04:16
Use props
brotha
lvl.1

Indonesia

DJIFlightRecord_2024-02-17_[10-17-58][1].txt

Here it is
2-17 05:36
Use props
brotha
lvl.1

Indonesia

Maybe this one helps also idk

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/12EH2IMC018G1863MXVU
2-17 05:38
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

You are so lucky to get yout drone safe at home.

A typical compass/yaw fly away.

At 13m12s in flight  compass heading changed from 19 to 257 degerees
Atter this see the polor chart, coloured line is your drone flying away in toilet bowl move,

Sometimes engage RTH will help....look at the flight line starting RTH, after some moments a straight line back to home.

Why did it happen ?
OR a true compass error OR a compass wich was disturbed at powering up your drone.

Best is to check drone compass heading in the map view (bottem left in fly app. North by default top of map) , check the blue arrow heading and compare to the actual drone heading.
If not the same  Do NOT fly but power off, relocate, power on and check again.

cheers
JJB   [ Charts by FRAP ; the 'best' software for data and visual flightlog analysis (www.jjbfrap.eu) ]

Analysis1.png
Analysis2.png
Analysis3.png
2-17 11:31
Use props
brotha
lvl.1

Indonesia

Ok, ill make sure to check before i fly next time thanks for the help.
2-17 14:36
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5978740 ft
  • >>>
United States

This incident was not caused by a geomagnetically distorted launch site. I.e. the compass was correct at launch. The Mini flew for 792 secs without incident. Also, two full circle POIs were performed prior to the incident.

At 792 secs Yaw changed from 19.3° to -102.4° in less than 0.1 sec. And then over the next 50 secs or so the Yaw value gradually became correct. This can be seen comparing the Yaw value with the direction of flight.
2024-02-17_17-28-36.jpg

I'm at a loss to explain why the abrupt change in Yaw at 792 secs.
2-17 17:44
Use props
brotha
lvl.1

Indonesia

I just tested my Mavic Mini again earlier... this time nothing went wrong, but just to be sure mind checking this flight log? Maybe there's something wrong with the drone but i didn't realize.

link1: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/272C67H05P345W2RQMQI

link2: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/4CTBCYHBBG2FBO12WDQU

link3: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/12DP1IU300G807EULX3M
2-17 19:35
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

BudWalker Posted at 2-17 17:44
This incident was not caused by a geomagnetically distorted launch site. I.e. the compass was correct at launch. The Mini flew for 792 secs without incident. Also, two full circle POIs were performed prior to the incident.

At 792 secs Yaw changed from 19.3° to -102.4° in less than 0.1 sec. And then over the next 50 secs or so the Yaw value gradually became correct. This can be seen comparing the Yaw value with the direction of flight.

Hi Budwalker,

Agree, that is why i wrote OR a compass failure or OR a compass distorted at powering up/launch.

I have seen few logs where not direct after start, but later in flight the, compass goes weird, so not always is a magn disturbed compass causes a fly away direct after take-off.

This flight a sudden compass change value 19 to 257 = 238 degrees change.
At the end of the RTH drone was flying towards HP (heading to HP roughly 30 degrees), drone heading  approx 355.
So still 35 degrees compass offset.

I do not see that the Yaw became gradually correct completely.

Seen in multiple logs that a compass error like this can be 'repaired' by a RTH!  Nice to know bc with a fly away it is almost impossible to get good control over your drone.
So activate RTH always and see if it 'helps'.

For a magn influenced compass during power on the drone, my advice is to check the compass heading on the app.
Doing this check always does prevent a compass/yaw fly away due to an incorrect compass in flight, BUT does not prevent this kind of a compass error.

See the chart, red line is the RTH move line. No RC input at all during this RTH, so indeed correcting the fly away before starting RTH.

cheers
JJB

Analysis1.png
2-18 01:48
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

brotha Posted at 2-17 19:35
I just tested my Mavic Mini again earlier... this time nothing went wrong, but just to be sure mind checking this flight log? Maybe there's something wrong with the drone but i didn't realize.

link1: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/272C67H05P345W2RQMQI

Hi,

Your flight envirioment is not really suitable for flying drones.
see all the messages in your log.

Few times zero satellites.
But in all 3 logs no compass errors.
cheers
JJB   [ Charts by FRAP ; the 'best' software for data and visual flightlog analysis (www.jjbfrap.eu) ]
Analysis1.png
2-18 03:03
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules