DJI Mini 3 Pro stopped mid-air and fell into the sea.
803 16 2-18 18:23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kyaw Lwin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39186 ft
United States

During my drone flight at the beach, maintaining a safe altitude above sea level, it suddenly stopped and fell into the sea without any prior indication of malfunction or loss of control. Weather conditions were favorable, with no high winds, obstacles, or waves present. It was submerged and inaccessible, so I have been unable to recover the drone. I was shocked to see the drone stop mid-air and fall into the sea.
I purchased this drone nearly a year ago, but I've only flown it for less than 3 hours. Upon checking the flight data, it indicates that the motor is stuck (Error Code 30165) and unable to rotate. Following the suggestion from the DJI live chat, I have reported the issue for flyaway registration. However, I do not have DJI Care or insurance coverage. If the problem is indeed caused by a malfunction of the device, would I be eligible to claim a replacement?

Flight Data:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/397Z8C5V7UQ071PMSREE
Update:

I still have a manufacturer's warranty.

Device Info Inquiry.jpg
2-18 18:23
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you have a look in the folder MCDatFlightrecords and check whether or not there is a file named
2024-02-18-hh-mm-ss_FLY019,
if so can you upload that file to a file hosting website, make its page public and post the URL here.
It contains more information abiut the motors than does the .txt flight log that you have posted
2-18 20:39
Use props
Kyaw Lwin
lvl.1
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-18 20:39
Can you have a look in the folder MCDatFlightrecords and check whether or not there is a file named
2024-02-18-hh-mm-ss_FLY019,
if so can you upload that file to a file hosting website, make its page public and post the URL here.

There is nothing in the MCDatFlightrecords, the folder is empty.
2-18 21:00
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kyaw Lwin Posted at 2-18 21:00
There is nothing in the MCDatFlightrecords, the folder is empty.

Have you synced logs with DJI ?
2-18 21:02
Use props
Kyaw Lwin
lvl.1
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-18 21:02
Have you synced logs with DJI ?

My controller already has 'auto sync flight data' turned on, so I suppose it's already synced.
2-18 21:04
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kyaw Lwin Posted at 2-18 21:04
My controller already has 'auto sync flight data' turned on, so I suppose it's already synced.

beep beep,
My inclination is that the drone had a motor problem or lost a prop but lets wait and see what the likes of JJB* says.
If you open the PH csv with CsvVIew
https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html
The pitch and roll go screwy in the last second and you can also see this in the PH replay.

2-18 21:15
Use props
Kyaw Lwin
lvl.1
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-18 21:15
beep beep,
My inclination is that the drone had a motor problem or lost a prop but lets wait and see what the likes of JJB* says.
If you open the PH csv with CsvVIew

I don't quite understand the phrase 'likes of JJB* says' and where to find the PH CSV file for viewing. Is it stored in my controller? I've already submitted the flyaway registration form, so all I can do now is wait for a response, right?.

May I know if the issue is determined to be a hardware malfunction (non-pilot error), would I be eligible for a replacement?
2-18 21:21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kyaw Lwin Posted at 2-18 21:21
I don't quite understand the phrase 'likes of JJB* says' and where to find the PH CSV file for viewing. Is it stored in my controller? I've already submitted the flyaway registration form, so all I can do now is wait for a response, right?.

May I know if the issue is determined to be a hardware malfunction (non-pilot error), would I be eligible for a replacement?
JJB* is a member here who is far better at reading logs than I am. It would be better to wait until he says what he thinks happened.
PH = my abbreviation for phantomhelp, you can download the csv that PH produces from the webpage you provided the link for.

If it is thought that there was a motor problem or problem inside the drone then I would think there is a fair chance that DJI  will replace the drone FOC.
I am not sure what would happen ifit is thought it was a propeller problem
2-18 21:41
Use props
Kyaw Lwin
lvl.1
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2-18 21:41
JJB* is a member here who is far better at reading logs than I am. It would be better to wait until he says what he thinks happened.
PH = my abbreviation for phantomhelp, you can download the csv that PH produces from the webpage you provided the link for.

Thank you very much for your prompt response and help. I hope for the best solutions. When I saw my drone drop into the sea, it felt like my heart suddenly leaped out of my chest. I rushed to the sea, but I couldn't reach it because the water was deep, even though it wasn't far from me.
2-18 21:49
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We're deeply sorry for the incident that happened to your DJI Mini 3 Pro. The original warranty would depend on the outcome of the data analysis conducted on your unit also the warranty period of the aircraft. If the aircraft is still within the warranty period and the issue was caused by a manufacturing defect, our team will update you via email. However, if the unit is no longer under warranty or the cause is due to a pilot error, we cannot provide any warranty service. Hope this clarifies your query. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2-18 22:33
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kyaw Lwin Posted at 2-18 21:21

Hi Kyaw Lwin,

Had a look at your log too.

See my chart of your flight.

At the end the Pitch and Roll attitude shows no normal values, and ofocurse with roll angles of 150 - 160 degrees Drone is acting like a brick.

What happend...[ OR ]
- Hit an obstacle (thin wire above the beach area?)
- Bird hit
- Motor stuck *
* does not need a 100% motor block, if revs are below threshold than this warning is seen.

Not a sudden total power fail bc last records shows out of the normal data and warnings.

Cheers
JJB   [ Charts by FRAP ; the 'best' software for data and visual flightlog analysis (www.jjbfrap.eu) ]
Analysis1.png
2-19 01:22
Use props
Kyaw Lwin
lvl.1
United States

@DJI Paladin - Thank you for the explanation. My drone is still under a one-year warranty.

@JJB* - Thank you for the detailed analysis. Yes, the last thing I saw was the drone in a vertical position before it fell into the sea. There were no obstacles such as wires, and no birds were around at that time. Please check the photo I took before the flight to assess the environment.

2-19 05:20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kyaw Lwin Posted at 2-19 05:20
@DJI Paladin - Thank you for the explanation. My drone is still under a one-year warranty.

@JJB* - Thank you for the detailed analysis. Yes, the last thing I saw was the drone in a vertical position before it fell into the sea. There were no obstacles such as wires, and no birds were around at that time. Please check the photo I took before the flight to assess the environment.

hi,

Nice area to fly a drone....if drone stay in the air ofcourse.

So no wires, no bird, not a sudden power fail. Hope that DJI can help you out.

cheers
JJB

2-19 06:50
Use props
RAYMARO
lvl.3

Spain

Estoy seguro que DJI te va ayudar.suerte .Saludos
2-19 07:52
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Kyaw Lwin Posted at 2-19 05:20
@DJI Paladin - Thank you for the explanation. My drone is still under a one-year warranty.

Thank you for responding. Rest assured that your case will be handled accordingly. Furthermore, I encourage you to pay attention to our email for future updates regarding the case as well as the result of the data analysis. Please feel free to teach us if you have further concerns with your case. We're always here to help.
2-22 00:00
Use props
Kyaw Lwin
lvl.1
United States

Update:

The DJI team has determined that this incident qualifies for warranty coverage and has graciously offered a free replacement, which includes a new battery. Today, I received my replacement Mini 3 Pro, along with a new battery. The level of customer care provided by the DJI team has been exceptional. They responded promptly and took decisive action. I received my new drone within just two weeks, completely free of charge.

I now have more confidence than ever in DJI products and deeply appreciate the DJI team’s commitment to their products and customer service. I also want to express my heartfelt gratitude to everyone in the forum who assisted me with this case. The DJI community is incredibly supportive and helpful, and I sincerely appreciate your assistance.

One key lesson I’ve learned from this experience is the importance of having the DJI Care Refresh plan to cover potential incidents in the future. This will allow me to operate the drone without worrying about unforeseen circumstances. Thank you all once again for your support and assistance.

3-1 23:04
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kyaw Lwin Posted at 3-1 23:04
Update:

The DJI team has determined that this incident qualifies for warranty coverage and has graciously offered a free replacement, which includes a new battery. Today, I received my replacement Mini 3 Pro, along with a new battery. The level of customer care provided by the DJI team has been exceptional. They responded promptly and took decisive action. I received my new drone within just two weeks, completely free of charge.

Hi,

Happy many landings with your replacement drone!

Tip  always screen record your flights, nice to see what you have missed on the screen while watching the drone in the air.  (and good for analysis in combination with the flightlog)

cheers
JJB
3-2 00:37
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules