One cure for DJI Phantom 2 falling out of sky or early hard landing
2209 3 2014-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dcssteve
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12110 ft
United States

Myself and a friend of mine live at 5000 feet in Longmont, Colorado. We both had issues with our Phantom 2 UAVs descending to hard landings long before the battery was in the zone of being discharged. This was happening at around 40 percent.  I contacted my dealer, Drones Made Easy, and he informed me of DJI's new E300, Thrust Boosted Propellers.  I ordered these with little confidence. However, these propellers transformed the Phantom 2.  Once installed, there were no more uncontrolled descents and flight times were much longer. The decent rate was also decreased and there are no more wobbly descents.

I have now flown the Phantom 2 from mountain locations of 8000 feet with perfect flight.  I can still climb with 25 percent battery (as a test) but land at that percentage.   My friend experienced the same stellar improvements. The problem of early hard descents was not due to the flight controller or low battery; it was caused by marginal lift with the standard propellers in thinner air. Even at 40 percent battery, the lift generated by the motors and standard propellers could not overcome any descent.

The improvement in the P2's behavior with these propellers needs to be made well known as I see many posts on the web about P2s falling out of the sky.

My Phantom 2 has FPV with OSD and Zenmuse Gimbal with a GoPro camera so it is pretty much maximum load.  Recently I also installed Anti-Grav motors and there was an incremental improvement but not as significantas the new propellers. The boost propellers have a much greater cup to them. I have also not broken a prop since installing them due to the improved stability.  A recent test at 5000 feet gave me 14.5 minutes of flight time. Finally, I am flying the P2 with confidence.

2014-12-11
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Nice to see some positive posts to balance out a lot of the doom and gloom!

So tell me, where are your videos of all that spectacular scenery?
2014-12-11
Use props
ciprianboboc
lvl.2

United States

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-12-12 08:53
Nice to see some positive posts to balance out a lot of the doom and gloom!

So tell me, where are y ...

Yes, many users end up on this forum after they experience some problem...
If everything is good, then people have the tendency to stay quiet.

I haven't realized that there's an upgraded version of propellers from DJI. I just boght new propellers - too bad I didn't know about these new propellers (model 9450 instead of 9443)
According to the specs, 9450 propellers have "impoved design to increase extra 100g lift force more than original 9443 props".
dcssteve, thanks for letting us know about the new propellers
2014-12-12
Use props
michael.haws
lvl.2

United States

dcssteve,  I live near you, Golden CO @ 5700 ft, and was experiencing the exact same issue.    A couple of weeks ago I installed the new ESCs, 2312 motors and the 9450 props and I too no longer have the early hard landings.
2014-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules