522 14 2-25 07:08
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

This isn't an RC Pro only question. All modern DJI RC's are still running Android 10 as their main operating system. The RC, RC2, RC Pro, RC Pro Enterprise, all RC Plus versions etc. Android 15 has now been released as a beta meaning A10 is 5 generations old. A10 also reached end of life over a year ago. Not that DJI is concerned with security, but that means security patchs have stopped. We've found that DJI Pilot 2 has issues opening on anything runing Android 12 and above. DJI Fly always has issues running on a new release of Android but it is somewhat maintained because DJI is forced to keep it updated since customers still use their modern phones with the RC-N1 and N2. So what is the reason for DJI holding back so long on Android 10?  
2-25 07:08
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

If it ain't broke...
2-25 07:31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. DJI has not announced any plans yet about updating the operating system for the remote controllers but let me forward this to the designated team for evaluation. We appreciate your feedback and support.
2-25 19:38
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

The answer is being typed up by a Windows 7 user.  : )
2-28 06:38
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 2-28 06:38
The answer is being typed up by a Windows 7 user.  : )

That's hilarious because that's the exact comparison I have been wanting to make. It would be the same as Dell or Lenovo still releasing products with XP or Windows 7 installed. Both of which were an excellent OS at their time, but once they reach EOL it becomes a security concern.
2-28 11:01
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 2-28 11:01
That's hilarious because that's the exact comparison I have been wanting to make. It would be the same as Dell or Lenovo still releasing products with XP or Windows 7 installed. Both of which were an excellent OS at their time, but once they reach EOL it becomes a security concern.

And yet, there are STILL programs that require XP to run properly that have no modern equivalent. You don't need Deep Blue to run Word or Excel. Fly does not need 14 to run. And doesn't come close to taxing 10.
2-28 12:05
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-28 12:05
And yet, there are STILL programs that require XP to run properly that have no modern equivalent. You don't need Deep Blue to run Word or Excel. Fly does not need 14 to run. And doesn't come close to taxing 10.

You know how DJI uses the excuse of low performance as the reason for not allowing third party app installs on the RC/RC2? That could all be solved by simply updating the OS. Android 14 freezes cached apps after a "short period of time", giving them 0 CPU time. Background apps would literally use the same amount of resources as one that's not installed. ART 14 in Android 14 optimizations code size by an average of 9.3% without impacting performance. This reduction would increase available storage for users and also leave a smaller RAM footprint. Which would make an even greater performance increase on devices such as the RC/RC2 with limited memory.

So please, tell me again why holding back on A10 is a good thing..?
2-28 13:53
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 2-28 13:53
You know how DJI uses the excuse of low performance as the reason for not allowing third party app installs on the RC/RC2? That could all be solved by simply updating the OS. Android 14 freezes cached apps after a "short period of time", giving them 0 CPU time. Background apps would literally use the same amount of resources as one that's not installed. ART 14 in Android 14 optimizations code size by an average of 9.3% without impacting performance. This reduction would increase available storage for users and also leave a smaller RAM footprint. Which would make an even greater performance increase on devices such as the RC/RC2 with limited memory.

So please, tell me again why holding back on A10 is a good thing..?

Nope, OS cannot make up for inferior CPU and little memory.
2-28 13:59
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-28 13:59
Nope, OS cannot make up for inferior CPU and little memory.

I can't help but think that you didn't even read my comment. The OS isn't downloading more RAM or unlocking additional CPU cores. It's making better use of what's already there. A14 can fully freeze apps that are in the background, making the app install limitation disappear. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to understand this concept.  
2-28 14:35
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

I totally understand that. But, for sure the RC and probably the RC2 are woefully underpowered. The OS features you mention can't make up for that. There are NO  background processes to stop.
2-28 15:58
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-28 15:58
I totally understand that. But, for sure the RC and probably the RC2 are woefully underpowered. The OS features you mention can't make up for that. There are NO  background processes to stop.

We agree that they are definitely underpowered but you're missing my point here. Installing third party apps wouldn't cause a decrease in performance since A14 would automatically freeze background apps. In pure terms of performance:
Frozen background app=Uninstalled app

Plus many other performance optimizations that upgrading Android would bring.
2-28 19:11
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

What you're not getting is that the RC can't run more than one Fly operation without crashing. Try screen recording and focus peaking together. It will crash.
2-28 19:50
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-28 19:50
What you're not getting is that the RC can't run more than one Fly operation without crashing. Try screen recording and focus peaking together. It will crash.

What you just described is multitasking. Putting all apps to sleep except for the one that is being shown is the exact opposite. This is what A14 implemented for low powered devices. I'm struggling to see how don't get my point here. All improvements considered, even with a few apps frozen in the background, Fly would still run better than it does now on A10 with none.
2-28 21:05
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 2-28 21:05
What you just described is multitasking. Putting all apps to sleep except for the one that is being shown is the exact opposite. This is what A14 implemented for low powered devices. I'm struggling to see how don't get my point here. All improvements considered, even with a few apps frozen in the background, Fly would still run better than it does now on A10 with none.

You miss the point - the RC is not capable of running anything beyond 10. Multitasking is asking the HARDWARE to do more than it is capable of. Maybe this will help, a Galaxy S5 cannot run 14. And it is MUCH more powerful than the RC.
2-29 08:35
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 2-29 08:35
You miss the point - the RC is not capable of running anything beyond 10. Multitasking is asking the HARDWARE to do more than it is capable of. Maybe this will help, a Galaxy S5 cannot run 14. And it is MUCH more powerful than the RC.

You know what else a Galaxy S5 can't run? DJI Fly. The S5 has a 32 bit CPU so I'm not sure how that comparison is even relevant. What makes you think the RC can't run anything beyond 10? A Raspberry Pi 4 with only 2 GB of RAM can run Android 14.
2-29 15:06
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules