Pocket 3 HDR shoot and YT upload technical notes on my first video.
693 6 2-25 09:05
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bestravelvideo
lvl.3
Greece

DJI Osmo Pocket 3 video in 4K HDR

This is my first YouTube upload using the DJI Osmo Pocket 3.
It less has to do with content but more with how and what I did, as it might help some other users.
First of all, most seem to use D-Log and nod HLG, so I decided to shoot in 10-bit HLG.
The settings are as follows:
Video: 4K 24 fps.
Rotational Speed: Slow
Gimbal Mode: Follow
Under pro settings:
Exposure Manual with,
1/50 and EV custom set to -0.7 (to avoid some burned highlights)
ISO range: 50-800
WB 5600 (although I changed it in post-production later)
Color: HLG 10-bit
Focus mode: continuous
Sharpness: -2
Noise Reduction: 1

I applied zero warp stabilise in Premiere, so what you see is as shot.
I must admit I should improve my walking! Any tips and suggestions are welcomed!
In Adobe Premiere, I added an extra -10 sharpness (this setting is different than the one we find in Pocket 3).
For the color correction, I used as a base the DJI D-Log to REC. 709 but then I added a custom color setting.

Finally, as for the export, it's in HEVC (H.265) with a Rec. 2020 color space that exports it as HDR.
Tip: if you don't tick "Include HDR10 Metadata" in Premiere, you can do a Hardware Encoding, otherwise it might take hours with Software Encoding!

One last note: YT might take 2-3 days to complete the HDR profile, so be patient! It first processes the file as 4K and then HDR follows.
My upload is in 10-bit 4:2:0 and then YT plays the file as HDR. It should display the info as HLG - bt2020, but only in selected devices.
Otherwise, the same file plays as bt709.
I hope these help!

2-25 09:05
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For me it seems a little dark in the shadows and too blurry for my taste.
2-26 01:33
Use props
bestravelvideo
lvl.3
Greece

DAFlys Posted at 2-26 01:33
For me it seems a little dark in the shadows and too blurry for my taste.

Thanks for the comment.
I looked at the Lumetri Scopes in Premiere and as expected the same video has a 70% video level in a 2020 color profile sequence (HDR) and a 100% video level in Rec.709 (non-HDR). So maybe the fact that it's exported as HLG makes it appear darker. As for the blurry, I would like to hear how other people find it because usually we try to avoid a sharpened look but then again you are correct, it could be subjective. At the time of replying, YT has still not finished the HDR encoding, so it still plays as Rec709,
2-26 02:27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bestravelvideo Posted at 2-26 02:27
Thanks for the comment.
I looked at the Lumetri Scopes in Premiere and as expected the same video has a 70% video level in a 2020 color profile sequence (HDR) and a 100% video level in Rec.709 (non-HDR). So maybe the fact that it's exported as HLG makes it appear darker. As for the blurry, I would like to hear how other people find it because usually we try to avoid a sharpened look but then again you are correct, it could be subjective. At the time of replying, YT has still not finished the HDR encoding, so it still plays as Rec709,

Sharp is the new modern in my view,    which buy expensive cameras when you could film with an old film camera and still have a sharper image.  
2-26 02:57
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice video!
3-15 06:47
Use props
bestravelvideo
lvl.3
Greece

Thank you!
I don't know why most people don't shoot HLG.
I find its color gamut (Rec.2020) wider than the Rec.709 in D-Log.
Then there is another advantage.
My phone also shoots HLG 10-bit and my DSLR also shoots HLG.
In that way I can easily match colors from 3 different cameras when I edit a project.
On the other hand, I must admit that I tested shooting with the Pocket 3 the same content
in D-Log and HLG, and the HLG had more elevated highlights.
Anyway, my advice I dare say is that if you are not going to use HLG for HDR content then yes, shoot D-Log.
3-15 10:03
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

bestravelvideo Posted at 3-15 10:03
Thank you!
I don't know why most people don't shoot HLG.
I find its color gamut (Rec.2020) wider than the Rec.709 in D-Log.

Yeah, that is a big advantage for sure!
3-15 10:22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules