930 9 2-26 12:38
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RoadRunner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 741588 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I'm exploring the DJI Osmo Pocket 3's backup audio feature, specifically when using the original DJI wireless microphone included in the Creator Combo.

My question is: If I enable the backup audio recording, will the device utilize its internal microphones to record a secondary audio track alongside the wireless microphone?

This setup could be ideal for interviews, where the interviewee uses the wireless microphone, and the interviewer, holding the Osmo Pocket 3, is also clearly recorded via the built-in microphones.
This would ensure dual audio sources for improved sound quality.
2-26 12:38
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Pocket 3 will record the Mic2 (one or two sources) on the MP4 and also create a separate WAV file of the Pocket 3's internal mics. If you select audio sync, the Mic 2 will also record internally on the transmitter, which can be 32bit float if selected.
2-26 13:42
Use props
RoadRunner
lvl.2
  • >>>
Austria

The explanations you have provided regarding the features are undoubtedly beneficial; however, they do not seem to directly address my original question. My concern was to understand the specifics of how backup audio recordings are managed in the DJI Pocket 3 usage scenario. I am particularly interested in whether the internal microphones of the device automatically serve as a backup in case of a failure of the wireless microphone—be it due to battery failure, connectivity issues, or similar.

I seek to comprehend whether the audio recording from the connected wireless microphone indeed happens twice—once embedded in the video file and additionally in a separate audio file—and whether this "backup" truly constitutes redundancy in the sense of an additional, independent recording source. The objective is to ascertain whether activating the backup audio feature indeed introduces a second recording source, namely the internal microphones, which then continues to capture audio in the event of the main audio input's failure.

This discussion is of particular interest as such functionality could significantly enhance audio quality in scenarios like interviews by providing an additional layer of security through recording on two separate channels. Thus, it would be immensely helpful if you could provide more specific insights into how backup audio recordings are handled in the event of the failure of the connected wireless microphone.
2-26 14:08
Use props
KlimaPic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 360115 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi
Maybe this way it is easy to understand:

MIC2 audio will be backed into the Video MP4 file
"Backup audio" turned on will create a seperate file MP3 on OP3

And if you also activate audio sync, the MIC2 will save an extra file MP3 within the MIC2. You may use this MP3, if the trasmittion from MIC2 to OP3 was bad or interrupted.

I found out this behavior just by playing around with the settings and than looking on the devices file system.

The interview way of using it I saw already many time on Youtube. So it seems to be a usable way in not to windy situations.
2-26 22:38
Use props
RoadRunner
lvl.2
  • >>>
Austria

Thank you for the detailed explanations regarding the recording options and backup audio functions provided so far.
These insights are indeed invaluable. However, there remains a specific inquiry pertinent to my application scenario that has yet to be addressed:

In the context of conducting interviews, where the interviewee is equipped with the wireless microphone and I, the interviewer, am holding the camera (OP3), my question revolves around the possibility of selectively activating the camera's internal microphones—specifically choosing either the front or rear microphone. This feature would be instrumental in capturing my voice with clarity, given my proximity to one of the microphones, while the wireless microphone picks up the interviewee's voice.

Is there a feature or setting that allows for this selective microphone activation to ensure optimal recording quality for both voices—the interviewee's and the interviewer's? If such a setting exists, how might I configure it?

I seek a solution that enhances the flexibility and quality of the audio recordings by effectively utilizing both audio sources. I look forward to any further guidance or instructions on this specific query.

Furthermore, considering the core of my initial question—whether the backup audio feature involves both independent microphones, i.e., the wireless microphone and the camera's built-in microphones, operational for a backup scenario. This leads to a subsequent thought regarding the use of the DJI Mic 2 set, which comprises two transmitters and one receiver, potentially being redundant in such a setup. Thus, I am uncertain if DJI would support this functionality, as it might render the said set superfluous, albeit not entirely depending on the application.

!! I deeply appreciate all the responses received thus far, along with the time invested by all current and future contributors to this discussion!!
2-27 04:15
Use props
KlimaPic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 360115 ft
  • >>>
Germany

RoadRunner Posted at 2-27 04:15
Thank you for the detailed explanations regarding the recording options and backup audio functions provided so far.
These insights are indeed invaluable. However, there remains a specific inquiry pertinent to my application scenario that has yet to be addressed:

Hi again
You have an option below audio parameter where you can choose front, front&rear or all indernal mics. But thats it ;-) no more deeper adjustments.

For those cases it might be a good idear to have an extra MIC2 or other to have even mor felxibility.
2-27 04:59
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, RoadRunner. Thank you for reaching out. This backup audio function only can create .wav audio files (which are recorded by Osmo pocket 3), that cannot use Osmo pocket 3 MIC and wireless MIC to record audio in one video at the same time, you can do the post-processing to add the audio file (.wav file) from Osmo pocket 3 to the final video.
3-4 04:25
Use props
RoadRunner
lvl.2
  • >>>
Austria

Dear Gamora,

I wanted to express my gratitude for your clarification, which has confirmed my understanding regarding the dual audio sources available for post-production in video editing. Thanks to your explanation, I now clearly understand that I have two distinct audio sources at my disposal: the direct recording from the microphone and the separate audio track recorded by the camera itself. It's particularly useful to know that both of these sources are available in the WAV format, which is ideal for my editing needs.

Thank you once again for confirming this information and for your assistance. It has been incredibly helpful.

Best regards!
3-4 10:45
Use props
RoadRunner
lvl.2
  • >>>
Austria

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-4 04:25
Hi, RoadRunner. Thank you for reaching out. This backup audio function only can create .wav audio files (which are recorded by Osmo pocket 3), that cannot use Osmo pocket 3 MIC and wireless MIC to record audio in one video at the same time, you can do the post-processing to add the audio file (.wav file) from Osmo pocket 3 to the final video.

Dear Gamora,

I wanted to express my gratitude for your clarification, which has confirmed my understanding regarding the dual audio sources available for post-production in video editing. Thanks to your explanation, I now clearly understand that I have two distinct audio sources at my disposal: the direct recording from the microphone and the separate audio track recorded by the camera itself. It's particularly useful to know that both of these sources are available in the WAV format, which is ideal for my editing needs.

Thank you once again for confirming this information and for your assistance. It has been incredibly helpful.

Best regards!
3-4 10:46
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

RoadRunner Posted at 3-4 10:46
Dear Gamora,

You're most welcome, RoadRunner. Should you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach us again here at DJI Forum. Have a nice day!
3-6 07:33
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules