Compass Calibration Error Infuriating
287 8 2-26 19:55
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

I almost always launch and catch my drone while sitting in my car.  During the winter, this is especially nice.
However, during night flights, and only during night flights, I frequently get a compass calibration error that will not let me fly.
Then I have move away from my car like it is kryptonite so I can go through the compass calibration process before I can fly (just moving it away from the car isn't enough - you have to step through the compass calibration process).

I understand the metal car chassis could interfere with magnetic fields, but why does DJI insist that I just cannot take off?
I do it all the time during the day but at night it just refuses to take off.

I starting flying heli and multirotor about 25 years ago.  All the fancy control systems today are nice, but I don't need them to fly and I find it infuriating that DJI simply will not let me fly when I want to.

Is there any way to disable this ultra baby-sitting system and just fly my drone?  Clearly the drone is capable, since it'll do it no problem in daylight hours.
2-26 19:55
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Don't be fooled.
This issue has nothing to do with the compass and recalibrating is not required.
There's no good reason that DJI makes the Compass Calibration message pop up when you try to launch in the dark.

I've encountered this issue many times and checked it out fully.
When it happens to me (like a few times this week) I get around this stupid imposition by launching from in front of the car with the headlights illuminating the drone.
2-26 20:03
Use props
Rosewell Flyer
lvl.2

United States

Labroides Posted at 2-26 20:03
Don't be fooled.
This issue has nothing to do with the compass and recalibrating is not required.
There's no good reason that DJI makes the Compass Calibration message pop up when you try to launch in the dark.

Yeah I tried using flashlights to create more light under the drone but it just wouldn't work.
At night I try to make my launch quick so my strobe isn't blasting me in the face and attracting undue attention - it is really irritating to be fighting with the compass bug right when I'm trying to get in the air.
2-26 20:31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1 getting the same issue with this message in the dark,   I just ignore it now.
2-27 00:15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 2-27 00:15
+1 getting the same issue with this message in the dark,   I just ignore it now.

When I get this, ignoring won't help.
It won't let me start the motors.
2-27 01:44
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi. Sorry about the trouble. It is suggested to not use the aircraft in a poorly lit environment without GPS signals (such as at night or in a dark indoor corner). The aircraft may drift when flying or may not hover when flying in these environments. We will forward your feedback to the relevant team for awareness. Thank you for your patience.
2-28 02:00
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 2-28 02:00
Hi. Sorry about the trouble. It is suggested to not use the aircraft in a poorly lit environment without GPS signals (such as at night or in a dark indoor corner). The aircraft may drift when flying or may not hover when flying in these environments. We will forward your feedback to the relevant team for awareness. Thank you for your patience.

Hi. Sorry about the trouble. It is suggested to not use the aircraft in a poorly lit environment without GPS signals (such as at night or in a dark indoor corner).
This has nothing at all to do with poor GPS.
It happens out in the open with full GPS reception.
DJI have a message that says the compass needs to be calibrated, when the issue has nothing to do with the compass.
And no amount of compass calibration or moving the drone makes any difference

The whole thing is misleading and ridiculous.

Night.jpg
2-28 03:01
Use props
PietPompies
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145315 ft

South Africa

+1 on this...
2-28 06:15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Labroides Posted at 2-28 03:01
Hi. Sorry about the trouble. It is suggested to not use the aircraft in a poorly lit environment without GPS signals (such as at night or in a dark indoor corner).
This has nothing at all to do with poor GPS.
It happens out in the open with full GPS reception.

Hi. We are actively submitting your feedback to the designated team. Rest assured this will be forwarded. Thank you.
3-2 00:46
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules