Deadband and Motor Strength - High or Low for Smoother Footage
180 1 3-1 21:53
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Todd_Sh
lvl.1
Australia

Hi,

I've watched countless videos, played with settings, ensured excellent balance and auto tune, and no matter what I do I can't get jitter free frootage - especially when moving (and especially with panning, even the slightest turn from the waist of my body). If I'm standing still and holding the gimbal still, all is good, but if I introduce any movement at all, footage looks rubbish.

I'm almost at the stage of totally giving up and assuming that I have extraordinarily bad balance, and it's totally just me and not the equipment or settings, but this is my last ditch attempt, so looking for some help please.
3-1 21:53
Use props
Todd_Sh
lvl.1
Australia

I'm using a Lumix S5 (all camera and lens stablization turned off ... although I have tried with variations of lens and camera on etc) and an RSC2 - but I'd imagine there's something wrong with my setup or technique that would apply to all gimbals? I'm trying to shoot still objects, mainly to get nice B-Roll for the interviews I'm shooting (on a tripod so no issues there!). I've tried manual and auto focus (the 'jitter' almost looks like the camera is trying to focus on a subject too long after it has panned past it, and thus the camera is fighting the gimbal) but the problem is there regardless.

So, the two main settings I've seen vidoes and posts on are DEADBAND and MOTOR STRENGTH, and the other query is re 'supersmooth' and if I should be using it or not (ie will iot help get smoother footage for still suybjets, or is it meant for moving subjects and when the operator is moving with them).

The issue I have is that there are as many videos saying that higher deadband setttings = higher sensitivity (ie and more chance of wobble as the gimbal over reacts to every slight movement) as there are videos saying that higher deadband settings = lower reaction times ... and smoother footage. The advice also is split between autotuning and adjusting/custom setting the motors - generally to weaken them to allow for more fluid movement.

Apologies for these basic questions, a little embarrassing as I have successfully shot alot of footage previpously, but now jiust seem to be in a rut/ at an impasse.

Not sure if uploading footage will help, or of this description is enough?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Todd
3-1 21:53
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules